TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any chances i can render many objects at the same time?

Ok thanks Unna, damn you┤re just here about two years and you know much more about Dromed than most of us. Nice!

Nope, doesn't work, the object still disappears. I think i┤ll have to block the access to this roof.

ZylonBane
    Uh, guys, the Model LOD property is not a tool for reducing the number of models in a scene. If you don't provided a LOD1 or LOD2 model, Dark ignores it.

Dˇttirin klŠ­ist oft mˇ­ur m÷ttli
    That's what LODs are made for: a detailed object disappears, another object appears within a certain distance. That depends on the settings. DromEd can't handle 3000 objects in sight within 1500 DU. Give it up.

ZylonBane
    Yes Unna, we all get that. What I'm pointing out is the fact that the Model LOD property doesn't do anything unless you provide it with alternate model names.

Model LOD is intended to improve frame rates by swapping in lower-detail models for distant objects. That is not the problem Cardia is having. He's hitting a hard limit on total onscreen objects. That has nothing to do with model complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    What I'm pointing out is the fact that the Model LOD property doesn't do anything unless you provide it with alternate model names.
    I didn't know this.

Southquarter.com/fms
    And Pedro...it's unrealistic to think that a magic fix will come from some future New Dark update. We may never see one again. You should instead work on fixes that work now, as others have recommended in this thread.

Another question, is this line already included in any cfg files? : sun_runtime_obj_shadows 0

cam_ext.cfg
    ; enable sun light to be affected by objects that have runtime object shadowing, in the same way that they affect
    ; regular light sources
    sun_runtime_obj_shadows

Thank you Unna, because i set some objects to have "Run time object shadow" and i set in the rendering parameters "Quad + object shadows" and yet it doesn't work . Great and i still need to add the Streetlamps, electric cables, antennas...and few more things... i think i got to much ambitious in this second map , ill be very lucky if all objects can be render at the same time in most areas. no to mention the performance in some areas that is lower, i guess i┤ll have to decrease the resolution of some terrain and objects textures resolutions, specially the ones i have with 1024x1024.

Ohhh i forgot, the performance in game mode in dromed is slower than in game mode through the thief 2 run game.

Edit the objects. Renderer-->Runtime Object Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Edit the objects. Renderer-->Runtime Object Shadow
    Yes Unna, that's what i did a long time ago, and i┤m tell you it doesn't work, even with quick optimizing, full mission process, build_dlg, whatever i do i can't have a shadow in these objects when they are illuminated by the sunlight, moreover having a warm color temperature of the sunlight, the objects seems to be illuminated by a cold temperature light, while the terrain solid brushes appear with the proper warm temperature color from the sunlight.

Runtime object shadow is for things that move; in other words, it is for AIs only. And it looks horrible on them. It has nothing to do with sunlight, which doesn't change over time, but is fixed for the mission. The key to understanding this is the keyword "runtime." If it doesn't move, it doesn't need to be calculated at runtime and can be baked in.

For shadows on immobile objects out in the sunlight, use Renderer > Force Static Shadow: True and Renderer > Shadow: 1. For immobile objects whose shadow you want to hide Garrett, use Object System > Immobile: True. Otherwise the shadows will just be for show.

ZylonBane
    Uh, guys, again... Runtime Object Shadow controls whether movable objects can block light sources. This affects the illumination of objects and the player's light gem.

The property that displays the broken blob shadow under objects is just Renderer/Shadow.

For shadows on immobile objects, use Object System/Immobile:True.

Renderer/Force Static Shadow is for forcing doors to cast shadows as if they're closed during lightmap generation.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 20th Jul 2017 at 23:30.

ZB could be right about Renderer > Force Static Shadow: True and Object System > Immobile: True. Now that he says it, I think I may have remembered it wrongly. In any event, runtime object shadow had nothing to do with daylight shadows.

Thank you LarryG and ZylonBane, i will try out those setting, so i see doors have a different setting for shadow.

Doors, yeah, but it is not dynamic. Either the shadow is there, open and closed, or it is not there, open and closed. Opening or closing the door has no effect on the shadow. So it looks dumb no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Doors, yeah, but it is not dynamic. Either the shadow is there, open and closed, or it is not there, open and closed. Opening or closing the door has no effect on the shadow. So it looks dumb no matter what.
    Lol, you┤re right, i guess its useless then...

Ahhh: "For shadows on immobile objects, use Object System/Immobile:True" , its works well, thanks ZylonBane !

Ok i found a way to prevent certain objects from disappearing, you select add╗ render╗render order and then you select pre opaque 1 (first), i haven't try with all objects, but i did that to some and they don't disappear when to many objects on sight.

When you mess with render order you are asking for trouble. Odds are you are just making others disappear and making things look wrong when you move your viewpoint. There is a hard limit on the number of objects which can be rendered in view. Period. The only way to deal with that successfully is to make less objects visible. You can do this by combining things in a 3d modeler so that what would have been 3 objects is now 1, say. Or just to block visibility intentionally so that fewer objects are expected to be seen. That's it.

This is an old technology engine. Learn to live with its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    When you mess with render order you are asking for trouble. Odds are you are just making others disappear and making things look wrong when you move your viewpoint. There is a hard limit on the number of objects which can be rendered in view. Period. The only way to deal with that successfully is to make less objects visible. You can do this by combining things in a 3d modeler so that what would have been 3 objects is now 1, say. Or just to block visibility intentionally so that fewer objects are expected to be seen. That's it.

This is an old technology engine. Learn to live with its limits.
    I know, that is why i only did the render order to a few objects, at least to the ones i think they shouldn't disappear.

If your objects are mostly decorative (meaning you don't interact with them), consider combining multiple objects into one (in a 3D app). This can be two or three trees or a few bushes/rocks. It could be also a tray with a few bottles on it, if you don't plan to make it frobbable, etc... It's a common technique to save so called 'draw calls' in game engines, and should be even more helpful in Dark Engine, due to the objects count limitation, which you have hit.

I don't have much experience with 3d objects programs , but i┤m trying to reduce things by using several methods, solid brushes, textures.

Do the objects that are not on sight affect as well?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast