TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Fighting TTLGers present: Arma 3 (a TTLG Coop Saturdays spin-off)

Level 10,000 achieved
    I liked Sigma Quadrant 4 a lot. Difficulty was well balanced, and Lord Penney did a good job at leading us.

Clearly my recon-skills @2:10 leave something to be desired tho.

No worries - it's not like anyone else noticed that Ifrit just a few steps away until it was almost too late.

The next Arma 3 coop session:

Date: Sat, 24 March 2018
    Time: 3-5pm UK time

As always, I'll be online a bit before 3pm to set up the server and check who's on Steam. I'll try to launch the server with a lobby mission 10 minutes before the session starts, and I'll post the IP and password on the Steam group, under the Events tab.

After the last session two weeks ago was a great success - two missions played, two missions won - this one was the opposite. Henke knew what he was doing when he said he couldn't join... which, come to think of it, is a tad suspicious. Hmm.

Downpour
    A defend mission set on Tanoa, created by Lord Penney, our main Arma expert (and, sadly, not a TTLG member). We found ourselves stuck in a small town during a rainstorm as the enemy came at us from various directions. When our leader Sulphur phased through a roof and died, perhaps we should've known that we weren't getting out of this alive, but things then went surprisingly well - until the tank arrived. It took out me, the one guy with an AT launcher, and after that it was just a matter of time till we were all dead.

Escape Tanoa
    The highly randomised Escape missions can be great fun - or they can be horrific meatgrinders. Today they were the latter, though we still had some fun... in particular during the run where the backpack which should've given us our starter weapons vanished the moment one of us touched it. Which meant we were tasked with escaping a POW camp without any chance of getting our hands on weapons. "Run, Forrest!" went through our heads, followed closely by a bunch of bullets. On a later run, most of us ended up dying in the jungle while Jesh and Malf got to the nearby coast. Perhaps Malf kinda, sorta (though not really, not entirely) spoiling the ending of Lost doomed the two of them, because just as they found a getaway boat they were ambushed by enemy troops that ended up killing them. Ah well. It was a good run.

We then tried to play a mission set in Takistan, but it booted three of the five players every time we launched it, so we ended on...

Operation Bolero
    ... which had me and Jesh as a team of snipers overlooking a town and CSAT outpost, which the others were tasked to infiltrate so they could take out the AA equipment. We didn't win this one either, but at least we had a fighting chance - though unfortunately we'd decided to take along an explosives guy but not anyone with AT weaponry, which turned out to be the wrong decision, as CSAT threw a couple of armoured vehicles our way. We all ended face down in the mud, thinking that war is hell - especially if you're caught with your pants down and no anti-tank weaponry to speak of.

Yesterday Jesh helped me test a 1-2 player helicopter training mission for Arma. It seems to work, so thanks to the magic of Steam Workshop I'm sharing it with anyone here who'd like to practice flying around with the Hummingbird transport helicopter. In the mission, you have to go and pick up six units (the sequence is randomised) and drop them off at the base. When you get close to them, they'll drop smoke and flares and start approaching the helicopter; be careful not to squish 'em!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1341443196 (you may have to be logged in to access it)

Talking of which, some of you have said you find flying helicopters in Arma difficult; for me, it helped a lot to tweak the controls. I use the following:

W - Cyclic forward
    S - Cyclic backward
    A/Mouse left - Cyclic left
    D/Mouse right - Cyclic right
    Q - Collective raise
    Z - Collective lower (well, it's really Y in my case, due to a QWERTZ keyboard)
    X - Left pedal
    C - Right pedal

I use the mouse (sensitivity turned up almost to the top) for most of my steering, so WASD don't get much use other than when I need to do drastic manoeuvres.
    Last edited by Thirith; 25th Mar 2018 at 05:00.

The next Arma 3 coop session:

Date: Sat, 7 April 2018
    As always, I'll be online a bit before 3pm to set up the server and check who's on Steam. I'll try to launch the server with a lobby mission 10 minutes before the session starts, and I'll post the IP and password on the Steam group, under the Events tab.

In the meantime, have a happy Easter!

I'll probably have to duck out early or miss it entirely, not sure how it'll go yet, sorry

No worries. If you can join for a while, that's great, but if not, there'll always be next time. The AI will be waiting for us, guns at the ready. And that's just the friendlies.

Longer mission than expected: Guerrillas in the Mist, set on Altis. Today it was just a small group - henke, Malf, Jeshibu, Lord Penney and myself - and on our first attempt we were cut to shreds by a small, inconveniently placed squad... but we won in the end. Not that Arma would acknowledge it, but we cleared several outposts, took out the convoy, liberated the trucks and made it very clear to any and every enemy Ifrit that they're not the boss of us.

Thanks to everyone for a fun session and see you again in three weeks' time, on Saturday 28 April!

Two things:

1) The next Arma 3 coop session:

Date: Sat, 28 April 2018

2) There's been a big update since last time we played, so make sure to update your Arma before the session!
    Last edited by Thirith; 24th Apr 2018 at 07:12. Reason: What do you mean, "editing"?

Have you invented a time machine?

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    Have you invented a time machine?
    I have no idea whatsoever what you mean.
    *blink*
    *blink*

Thanks to henke, Jeshibu, Malf, Sulphur and Lord Penney for a great session that covered the whole gamut of Arma drama: success, failure, piracy, nudity.

Dynamic Drug Raid
    Not the mission with the most original title, but a great start to the session and a brilliant bit of planning (by LP) and execution, as we searched a Tanoan town for a container of drugs, destroyed it, rebuffed the attacks by the Syndikat and hotfooted it out of there. Tanoa's a fantastically atmospheric map and this mission, while generated randomly, offered some good pacing, with a tense beginning as we tried to sneak up to the town, us getting surprised by a technical, and then attacks ramping up as we entered the town proper, and finally us running across the bridge... to freedom. And stuff.

A Bit Dusty
    We'd played this one before, but not to completion. Not that we managed this time, mind you: just as we'd finished the first objective, 2/3 of the team got cut down, and me and henke tried to make it to the next village and find the incriminating evidence. I guess a few dozen heavily armed Takistani insurgent count as incriminating evidence. Once they started firing, we didn't have much of a chance, but at least we went out in a blaze of death. And blood. And getting killed horribly.

Defend Alikampos
    I'd tweaked this mission a bit since the last time, but the results were mixed, shall we say. It was pretty much like the Battle of Rorke's Drift, just with more automatic weapons. In the end, it was Malf on his own in a little stone hut, surrounded by swarming enemies - yet he held them off for what felt like a very long time... until he, too, went down. Malf, you were our hero tonight. Sniff.

Sweep and Clear
    Finally, we thought we'd finish on a nice and simple mission clearing an island shrouded in fog of enemies. Once we'd done that (yarr!), we thought we'd turn on each other - but then it turned out that the mission had other plans for us, sending a chopper to pick us up and drop us off elsewhere to clear another camp. Sulphur had enough, bailing out of the chopper without a parachute, and Jesh and me followed... though for some reason Sulphur survived his fall, which we couldn't exactly claim for ourselves. Lord Penney mowed down Malf and henke and then set out to finish off Sulphur, shedding more and more of his clothes as he went on. After putting poor Sulphur out of his misery, Lord Penney walked into the sea, putting an end to himself. It was... beautiful.

And that was it for today. We'll be back with another Arma 3 session in three weeks:
    Date: Sat, 19 May 2018

Fun if weird session with Jeshibu, Malf and Sulphur - thanks for playing, guys!

First up, there was Strike Back, in which we we fed up with being mortared by the bad guys so we decided that attack was the best defense. Of course, due to being shelled I thought it was better to drive off with six of eight units - leaving the AT guy back at base. Which turned out to be something of a tactical error when we got to the enemy base (Jesh and me from one side, Sulphur and Malf from the other) and promptly came under fire from an APC. We held out surprisingly long, taking out a large part of the base's personnel, but in the end we all got shot to bits. The end.

Then, we played a Chernarus-based mission called Coming of Shadows that started, somewhat sillily (?!) with a quote from Babylon 5 - and we promptly got killed, mainly because we were a bunch of disgruntled farmers and hunters without nightvision who chose to attack a town occupied by Chedaki in the middle of the night. Oh, we also didn't have any radios and couldn't even reach Jesh, the sniper, first supporting us and then dying, alone, on a hill, like a slightly glitchy Hemingway character. The second time around, though, Malf suggested that we'd start by blowing up the APC in town as a distraction - and that distraction (and the fact that Malf hit the church two times with his rockets) ended up killing most of the enemy. In the end we finished the mission with a glorious job back to the extraction point. Well done, lads!

Next up: Ambush, where we (wait for it...) ambushed a convoy in Takistan. It's amazing how much punishment Arma units can take while in a minibus under heavy fire, because after we thought we'd killed everyone in the minibus and tried to blow it up for good with a rocket, a sole survivor popped out and tried to take us out. Still, all in all we got shot as much by ourselves as by the enemy but still finished up beating the mission, so I'd say that counts as success.

Finally: Operation Tick Bite, a mission set on Tanoa in the middle of the night - and in thick fog, so it felt a bit like Silent Hill with more automatic weapons. Even with nightvision goggles we barely saw more than ten metres in front of our faces, and yet again an APC proved to be our doom. It's almost as if they've got it in for us... Several RPG shots at that damned APC didn't help, mostly because the weird AT weapons we had meant that practically every single shot went high. Still, pretty atmospheric mission and one we might try again!

The next Arma session will probably take place on Saturday, 9 June. Confirmation to follow. Over and out!

Some footage of the middle two missions.

Ladies and gentlemen, now that’s some world class sniping.

Also, my sympathies for Sulphur having to be put down because he was stuck in a wall are somewhat limited, since he’d shot me in the back ten minutes earlier. As I was running up a hill to grenade the units shooting at us. I’m sure he had his reasons.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, I thought I'd heard Malf say someone had shot Thirith. Turns out he was saying 'not Thirith'. Whoops.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234