TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Guards opening locked doors after being pickpocketed

Guards opening locked doors after being pickpocketed

I have some guards carrying keys, but when I pickpocket them, they are no longer able to open the locked doors. The only way I can come up with is giving a guard a copy of the exact same key put into "generic contents" so that you can't pick it. However, won't it raise the total pickpocket count and make some pickpockets unobtainable?

The game doesn't count links whose Data value is Generic Contents. You can see it for yourself without even having to get the FM ready for the game. In game mode, use the debrief command and you can get to the Stats screen.

Thanks! Although, my stat screen just says "Difficulty: Normal." I have the two basic scripts loaded, but I don't have any objectives yet.

I have some guards carrying keys, but when I pickpocket them, they are no longer able to open the locked doors.
    It's logical.

True, but the reaction isn't. It will either stop or continuously bump into the door.

There's a way with NVScript to set up a reaction, but an extra key saves effort.

True, but the reaction isn't.
    That's why I try to avoid belt keys now. Any reaction after stealing is wrong, and no any reaction is wrong too.
    Another reason: if you knockout AI with a key on his belt and don't notice that, you can spend hours searching the key in the whole level.

This won't be a problem in my mission I hope. I don't like keyhunts myself, so all the keys are placed right next to the doors that they are supposed to open.
    I know that guard being able to locked doors after being pickpocketed is less logical, but I like it more this way.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    I don't like keyhunts myself, so all the keys are placed right next to the doors that they are supposed to open.
    Err... then why have a key at all?

1) A key can be hidden.
    2) A key can be carried by a guard, pickpocketing whom adds extra challenge. Or it can be not on a guard but simply in a hard-to-reach area.
    3) A key can be placed on another side of an unpickable door to add a shortcut once the player has reached that area.
    Last edited by marbleman; 27th Jul 2017 at 11:36.

But you said that
    Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    ... all the keys are placed right next to the doors that they are supposed to open.
    So, why have the door locked? Your 1, 2, 3 don't apply with the key next to the door.

Okay, you might be confused becuase of "right next to a door," but I meant nearby, nor far, in the same room...

English is not my native language, but I try
    Last edited by marbleman; 27th Jul 2017 at 13:44.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    And also 3) applies to the situation you described.