TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Look who's backlog reducin' now!

There's no dishonor in playing FTL on "easy".

Level 10,000 achieved
    Tomi, now you're getting into some great stuff. FTL is one of my favourite games of the past few years, and FEZ was great. IIRC it took me around 13 hours before I beat FTL on Easy, so don't feel bad about not having beaten it yet. You really need to plan ahead for the final boss. Hints: Fire beams are good for taking out the guys in the small weapons-rooms, and you'll probably need 4 shields and some kind of anti-missile defense drone. I've never played Pid tho, looks alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    Is there a way to check when you've added a game to your Steam library?
    Click your name in the upper left corner, then Account Details, and Store Transactions.

166 hours of FTL yet never finished it

I've played FTL for about 10 hours already, and four times I've managed to get through the seven sectors in space to face the mothership. And every single time I've failed miserably, I've barely even managed to damage the mothership. :( I've loved the game so far, but at this point I feel like I'm (metaphorically) banging my head against the wall, and while doing so I also feel like I'm not progressing in the game at all. I spend two hours flying through the galaxy and everything goes well until the game throws the mothership on my face, and it's all over in a few seconds. [...] It's like watching a great movie with a bad ending.
    Uninstall it. Seriously. I had exactly the same experience, and had absolutely no regrets getting rid of it. Lots of people love the game, but it's not one I'd ever recommend to anyone (on account of the exact issue you've raised). If you stick at it you'll no doubt gradually figure out what you need to do, but in the meantime you'll grind your way through those hours of most-of-the-game over and over and over, and I would suggest that your time is more valuable than that. Play something that isn't going to irritate you.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hey Shadowcat, I'm sure it must be lonely being the only person on the internet who doesn't love FTL, but don't try to drag Tomi into your FTL-hater club, he's with us.

FTL has been on my to-do list for a long, long time. However, I'm thinking I might move laterally on that one and get the iPad version, as I've got a couple of long-distance flights coming up in November/December, and it might be a good way to while away the time while cooped up like sardines.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Not a bad idea! Not every PC game makes a smooth transition to touchscreen, but FTL works beautifully on the iPad, perhaps even better than on PC.

FATE: FTL is definitely staying on my hard drive, but it can be so frustrating at times. It's like watching a great movie with a bad ending. I've thought about switching to Easy difficulty because I want to beat that damn mothership, but it kind of feels like cheating.
    FTL feels like it has the difficulties mislabeled: Easy should be Normal and Normal should be Brutal.

Normal, Hard, and Lol

Level 10,000 achieved

Week 10

Human: Fall Flat

(Video by me. Actual game does not feature smooth jazz covers of Gorillaz songs.)

Human: Fall Flat is a physics-driven platformer where navigating the environment required both mastery of it's systems and a bit of ingenuity in figuring out which objects in an area will help you progress. It's like Grow Home but with more focus on interacting with the environment and the objects in it. I fucking love it. I often fall for these kinds of games where progress comes from mastering physics-systems, but I'm also a bit wary whenever a new one shows up. Sure, they often look great in videos, but quite often they end up being too clunky and un-fun to play. I'm looking at you, City Climber and I Am Bread. I was pleasantly surprised by how robust Human's gameplay was, and a lot of love has clearly gone into creating it's levels as well. Every new level so far has featured a new theme(train tracks, factory, medieval castle, etc.) with appropriately themed obstacles in each new area.

FATE: Hell yeah I'm finishing this!

Next week: Project Cars

Note that Human Fall Flat is available for $1 from Humble Bundle now.

Update: FTL

I decided to ignore ShadowCat's advice for now, swallowed my pride, and started a new game on Easy...

Ha! At last!

There really is quite a big difference between Easy and Normal, but yeah, Easy isn't really that easy. This time around I was much better prepared for the final battle, and despite of me doing my best to screw things up, I didn't have too much trouble beating the Flagship. There was one panicky moment when an enemy missile breached a hole in the sensor room of my ship, and even if I quickly shut the doors and isolated the leak, we were still losing oxygen! I made sure that the Oxygen system was active - it was, but the oxygen levels were still going down! What's happening?! I sent one of my guys to fix the leak in the sensor room, and while panicking I lost all my concentration. My crew members were starting to suffocate, I wasted a lot of precious time, and let the Flagship bombard my ship and cause some bad damage. And then ... I noticed that one of the airlocks was wide open, sucking out all the oxygen off my ship...

Apart from that moment of silliness everything went pretty well. The Defense drone really was a very good investment, the Ion Blast Mk. II weapon took down the enemy shields surprisingly well while my four shield bars kept me relatively safe from enemy lasers, and the Hull Repair drone made everything even easier. I enjoyed playing on Easy a lot more, as I got to experiment with whole new weapons and systems - on Normal a lot of my money went to ship repairs and just surviving.

What next? I learned some useful new tricks today, but I don't feel like touching the Normal difficulty again right now. Perhaps I'll have a quick look at the Advanced Edition content, and then move on and keep on backlog reducin'.

Ha! At last!
    Congratulations!

...on Normal a lot of my money went to ship repairs and just surviving.
    As a rule of thumb, if you twice have to spend all your scrap on repairs and consumables just to survive, you're probably not going to win. It's one of the few things I really don't like about FTL. It's got a very strong "snowball" effect - if you're doing well, the game gets easier as you go, and if you're doing poorly, it gets harder. Glade Raid is consequently designed with absolutely no consumables and everyone automatically heals between battles (even if you don't have healing abilities), so advancement is mostly decoupled from how well you're winning battles.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Hey Shadowcat, I'm sure it must be lonely being the only person on the internet who doesn't love FTL, but don't try to drag Tomi into your FTL-hater club, he's with us. :cool:
    It's more "confusing" than "lonely" :) I'll never understand why this game gets the amount of love that it does. But then I don't understand the appeal of Minecraft either, so I'm definitely not one of the cool kids. Anyway, it just sounded like someone else disliking the game for all the same reasons as me but feeling compelled to keep playing it because everyone says it's good, and I thought I could save them some annoyance. I'm actually happy to hear that they've ended up having a good experience with the game, though.

I played FTL and didn't love it either.

It's pretty good, but I'd not class it in the excellent category. It certainly inspired quite a few games though, and for that it has my respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    It's more "confusing" than "lonely" I'll never understand why this game gets the amount of love that it does.
    Sounds like your feelings for FTL mirror my feelings for the Half-Life franchise.

This thread got me playing FTL again. I had managed to forget how charming the soundtrack is.

Great ambient soundtrack has FTL

Amusingly, the first thing I thought of when people started talking about it again was "whatever else you might think of the game, you can't deny that the soundtrack is awesome."

Chakat sex pillow
    Ben Prunty, who did the FTL soundtrack, also scored another game called Gravity Ghost. While the game seems a bit too indie twee for me to play more than a bit at the time (I have a giftable copy if anyone's interested either way), some of the music is lovely and soothing.

Level 10,000 achieved

Week 11

Project Cars

Took me a good 15 minutes to plug in, dust off, and set up my wheel, but once in game, yeah, not bad. I played the first 2 rounds of the Renault Clio cup, where it's all Renault Clios, all the time. Brother against brother! Clio against Clio! Who will rule the Clio Kingdom? Not me, I'm not very good! After the first 2 rounds I was in 3rd place and these races weren't getting any easier. Playing on medium difficulty, with all assists except ABS turned off. The cars handle well and the VR implementation is good. Still, these sim racing games where you have to stick to a track ain't really my bag.

FATE: Probably uninstall, unless I feel like playing it again in the next few days.

Next week: The Flame In The Flood

ALSO I finished Human Fall Flat. Loved it! I was expecting it to be a physicsy platformer, but it's just as much a puzzle game. Every new level introduces a new theme and new types of obstacles, interactive objects, machinery and puzzle-types.
    Last edited by henke; 16th Sep 2017 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Still, these sim racing games where you have to stick to a track ain't really my bag.
    What if there was a mod where each car was dragging a tree trunk behind it on a chain?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Now you're speaking my language.

Level 10,000 achieved

Week 12/20

The Flame In The Flood

Kind of a Don't Starve-esque survival game, but with the open world replaced by a linear river you travel down, and make occasional stops along to find food, shelter and useful tools. During my 2 hours with it I survived for 16 days and made it 8.9 miles down the river, before starving to death. It's a pretty game, and it has some nice music, but I don't think I'll give it another go. If I wanna play something surivial-sim-y I'll go back to The Long Dark instead.

FATE: Uninstall

Next week/upcoming games: Year Walk, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Mushroom 11, Caveblazers, Oxenfree, Party Hard, Mini Metro, Quantum Break
    Last edited by henke; 27th Sep 2017 at 12:56.

I gotta say that I'm not very good at this backlog reducing business. I'm too much of a completionist so I can't just give up on a game, unless I truly find it bad or boring and I'm not having fun at all. For the last two weeks I've only been playing one game, and that is:

10) Sid Meier's Pirates!

Yarrr! I'm also not very good at following the rules of this thread, because I've played Pirates! for 32 hours, already finished the game, and instead of writing about my first impressions I'm writing yet another mega-review.

Damn, Sid Meier really knows how to make some addictive games. This game's from 2005 and feels quite dated in many ways, but I haven't had this much fun for a long time! Why on earth aren't there more great pirate-themed games? I'll eat my tricorn if Sid Meier's Pirates! (the remake) isn't the best game about pirates that exists. You sail around the Caribbean Sea from one harbor to another, trading goods, raiding towns, dueling other pirates, seducing ladies, fighting their jealous fiances, finding treasures, battling other ships... you know, the classic pirate stuff. All those things are done in fun little mini-games, so there's a lot going on. The two most important mini-games, sword duels and naval combat, are simple but still fun, especially if you've somehow managed to pick a difficulty level that's suitable for you. (I'll get back to that later.) There's also a turn-based land combat mini-game that's a bit too slow for my liking, a dancing mini-game that's fun for a while but gets repetitive, and a stealth mini-game that could be fun in theory but feels quite pointless. If only there was a rum-drinking mini-game, Sid Meier's Pirates! would be pretty much the perfect pirate simulator!

You start the game as a young privateer who vows revenge against a nasty villain, Marquis Montalban, who enslaved your whole family when you were a kid. While tracking down Montalban you also need to find your lost family members, and while you're at it, why not try to get rich and famous too at the same time? So you sail around the Caribbean Sea doing quests, getting rich enough to keep your crew happy, and gathering pieces of information in various ways. The Caribbean Sea is pretty damn big, so the weeks and months just fly by, especially if you have to sail against the wind during the hurricane season. You also get older and slower all the time, and that has quite a significant effect in the sword duels especially. I wasted a lot of my "best years" trying to get rich by trading and not paying enough attention to the main quest(s), so by the time I finally found Montalban's hideout and challenged him to a duel I was already 43 years old - an old fart in the pirate world!

So I had a lot of trouble beating Montalban and it took way too many frustrating attempts, but the feeling of success when I finally won the long and epic sword duel was something that I haven't experienced in a game for a while! That was the climax of the game for me, and I kinda wish that it had ended there, as everything started to feel a bit repetitive after that. I went on to track down my remaining family members, found a few lost Indian cities and hidden treasures, and became the #1 pirate of the Caribbean Sea. Yarrr! At the age of 49 my health was deteriorating already, and to make things worse, I suffered a humiliating defeat in a sword duel against some young whippersnapper in some tavern for the first time ever, so I decided that it's time to retire. I sailed back to the city of Cumana that I had visited so many times before during my adventures, split the huge pile of gold with my trusty crew, married the governor's beautiful daughter, and lived happily ever after.

Oh yeah, about that difficulty level thing. If you ask me, Sid Meier makes great games, but he's always been terrible at balancing the difficulty in them, and Pirates! is no exception. There are five different difficulty levels to choose from; the first one's ridiculously easy (it's more like a tutorial) but the rest of them are quite a bit harder. You can also choose between a few different starting eras for your game that also affect the difficulty, and the effects of your character getting older make things even more complicated.

FATE: Completed --> Uninstall! I'm a bit sad that the great adventure is over, but also relieved. Pirates! takes a lot of time and its quests are quite repetitive in nature, so even though I loved the game, I don't think I'll play it again any time soon, if ever.