TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Look who's backlog reducin' now!

Level 10,000 achieved

Week 13/20

Year Walk

Spooky and atmospheric adventure game about an old Swedish ritual. The puzzles are good, you actually learn a good bit about Swedish folktales and it's quite scary. A few too many jumpscares for my liking, but despite that I stuck with it for the 2 hours it took to finish. It's good!

FATE: Uninstall, because I finished it!

Next week/upcoming games: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Mushroom 11, Caveblazers, Oxenfree, Party Hard, Mini Metro, Quantum Break

Did you play the iPad version of Year Walk? It’s a game that IMO works extremely well on tablet. I’ve not finished their follow-up, Device 6, but I very much liked what I played.

Level 10,000 achieved
    No, PC. I did start playing Device 6 on the iPad tho, but didn't get far before I got bored and stopped. Didn't realize it was by the same team.

I love backlog reducing, but I'm just like Tomi in that I'm too much of a completionist these days to just play a game and then just stop and move on, unless the game is meh.

I find the retro gaming backlog games more fun than the current gen stuff half the time now. Playing the Tex Murphy games has been an absolute blast .

I also share a similar sentiment. A while ago I proposed a backlog reduction agenda motivated unsurprisingly at trying to make a sizeable dent into my backlog, only to place it on ice due to a lack of free time. What I found is that as I've always been someone who likes to play a game in its entirety -- particularly ones that I like -- and that with diminished free time these days it feels even more satisfying to spend it drawing as much from a individual game as I can before devouring the next one. The alternative just feels like too much of a chore to me personally at this point in time (not discrediting anyone else; it's just my own feeling ATM).

About the only time I do quick tries of multiple games in a day, nowadays is when I need to test out cartridge games for my eBay business. Take last night for example. I bought a Nintendo 64 recently and some games so was testing out:

* Banjo Kazooie - Good humor. Seems quite fun.
    * Bomberman 64 - Meh. Very average.
    * Conker's Bad Fur Day - Odd game. Unique humor style (potty humor mostly).
    * Killer Instinct Gold - A major downgrade from the previous game on the snes. Musics still great.
    * Mission Impossible - This game is complete crap. Very average clunky gameplay.
    * Star Wars - Rogue Squadron - Average but is ok.
    * Star Wars - Shadows of The Empire - Quite fun. Seems like a good game. Controls are meh when your on foot.

Trying to follow the rules this time

More games!

11) Windward

After Sid Meier's Pirates I was looking for some more pirate action, and Windward looked like something that might fill that void. Nah. It sure does look like Pirates! a bit, but that's where the similarities end. The ships feel like toy ships, the battles aren't very exciting and the enemy AI isn't very good, the grindy quests get repetitive too soon, and there's no story to keep things interesting. I suppose that Windward could be fun in multiplayer if I had a bunch of friends who also play it, but as a single player game there really isn't much to do. What a shame.

FATE: Uninstall. I did have a few hours of fun until I got bored, and I doubt that the game gets any more interesting.

12) Back To Bed

This one was a freebie on Steam two weeks ago. Back To Bed is a puzzle game where you're supposed to guide sleepwalking Bob back to bed in his dreamworld. The visuals are surreal and kinda escheresque, it looks pretty cool really, but the puzzles themselves let this game down. I've only played it for two hours so far, but even if the puzzles seem to get more difficult a little by little, they're still very simple. I wish there was a bit more variation in them.

FATE: Probably uninstall if things don't get more interesting the next time I play it, but I'll give it another chance.

Level 10,000 achieved

Week 14/20

Now you're getting the hang of it, Tomi! This is how you backlog reduce. You poke at stuff for a little bit and then go "eh, naah".

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Playing the previous Lara game with Sulphur was one of my favourite co-op experiences, so I bought this to play with him and Jesh, but the netcode is a terrible mess and the camera straight-up refused to function properly in co-op. I've been keeping it installed in my Steam library for a year and a half since then, wanting to at least give the singleplayer a spin before letting go. Well, it's alright. The mix of action and puzzle solving is potent even in singleplayer, though the story and voiceacting is the most lacklustre thing you can imagine. I've played it for a couple hours, but not feeling any great compunction about stopping here. In conclusion: eh, naah.

FATE: Uninstall

Next week/upcoming games: Mushroom 11 / Caveblazers, Oxenfree, Party Hard, Mini Metro, Quantum Break

You've whipped through that one too quickly I reckon, but I guess it depends on who you're playing it with. This has been a firm favourite couch coop game on the ps4 for me.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes I'm sure it'd be great fun in local co-op. Online co-op, as I mentioned, was a mess. I think I do still have it installed on my PS4, if I can coerce someone into playing it with me, I will.

Level 10,000 achieved

Week 15/20

Mushroom 11

Ok, I confess I only played half an hour of this. It's a physics puzzler where you're a blob. You don't control the blob directly, instead the mouse cursor functions as an eraser. When you erase one part of the blob the same mass grows out on the other end. There's something kinda World of Goo-ish about the gameplay, but more actiony. RPS named it one of their games of 2015, but unfortunately it's not doing much for me.

Next week/upcoming games: Caveblazers / Oxenfree, Party Hard, Mini Metro, Quantum Break

Yep, I bought that based on their recommendation as well. It's an interesting concept but not particularly fun after a while. I've had a few goes at it now thinking perhaps it will pick up later but it just doesn't hold my attention.

Level 10,000 achieved

Week 16/20

Caveblazers

It's platformy, permadeathy, Spelunky-y kinda thing and I don't like it.

B-B-B-BONUSGAME: ROAD REDEMPTION!

I made a video for this one. And you know when a man makes a video for a videogame, that's true love.

I picked this up in a sale last year when it was still in Early Access. I played a few races back then but it didn't really grab me. Sure, it was chaotic and actionpacked, but something important was missing: meaning, consequence. Luckily, that's exactly what the campaign mode has added. Every injury suffered has consequences now, as it means things'll be tougher later on in the game, and every victory has meaning. You have to pick and choose your battles. When you roll up on a crew of enemy bikers you have to form a plan, and then quickly throw that plan out the window and improvise when things go haywire. Campaign-structure-wise, it's very similar to Caveblazers actually. They're both permadeath campaigns where you get a chance to level up your character at the end of a failed run, to make later runs more manageable. But whereas Caveblazers gameplay is some boring platformy nonsense, Road Redemption is the most bad-ass over-the-top thing I've played all year! (well, perhaps aside from Robo Recall) It's so chaotic it's hard to believe it plays as well as it does.

FATE: LOVE AND CHERISH

Next week/upcoming games: Oxenfree / Party Hard, Mini Metro, Quantum Break