TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Thief 1/Gold FM: Project Hammer - Secret Connections

My new Thief 1/Gold FM: Project Hammer - Secret Connections

Hey ttlg.com community,

I proudly present you my new (old) FM "Project Hammer - Secret connections" for Thief 1/Gold.
    This is an old-school Thief style mission. But you can easily play it with Gecko's HD-Texture Mod or similar mods if you want a more modern looking FM.

A big thank you to my beta testers gnartsch and fibanocci and the translation team: zappenduster, Nightwalker and Athalle! ^^

*Foreword*
    This FM is a full rework of my old FM "Project Hammer" from the year 2009/2010.
    This is the first mission of the campaign "Project Hammer".
    The following mission will be based on my second released FM "Hand of Glory".

For all those who played the original "Project Hammer" FM and wonder if it's worth it to play the remastered version:
    Yes, absolutely. Besides the full overhaul of the original content there is also a lot of new content.

Idea :
    Because this was my first released FM and a really primitive one, I wanted to remaster it with the new NewDark engine.

Results :
    I kept the basic idea for the map layout with the story intact. The visual aspects of the FM have changed/improved a lot.
    Although the game play area didn't expand too much, I've added many details to the overall map.
    The estate now has a believable front facade (with roof!), there are many secrets to discover (3 SECRET objectives) and new areas to explore. In addition, the story got a lot more detailed and expanded.
    For those who love numbers here is some Dromed info:

*Old Version from 2009/2010*
    653 Terrain-Brushes
    979 Object, 22 Light, 192 Room, 1 Flow

*New Newdark-Version*
    2296 Terrain
    2219 Object, 25 Light, 382 Room, 8 Flow
    *Prelude*
    Chronologically this FM takes place after the assassination of Ramirez and before the mission for Victoria to steal Constantine's sword.

*Description*
    I let some time pass after the assassinations so the City Wardens would not be on the lookout for me any longer.
    After I went out to scout around for future lucrative burglary opportunities, I got a new job from an unknown person. I didn't meet my client in person, but the payment is overly generous
    for the little effort this job requires.
    It seems my client is at odds with the Hammerites. He wants some information about a project with the code word "Hammer" but they are being tight-lipped. His own research
    led him to a hot clue in the North Quarter. A rich nobleman lives there who evidently has connections to the Hammerites and the so called "Project Hammer". The estate is too well guarded for him, so he can't take further action by himself.
    That is the point where I get involved. I'll break into the estate and search for all the details I can get about "Project Hammer". Who knows? Maybe I'll get the chance to steal
    some valuables along the way.
    For many thieves, Bafford's manor would be a challenge, but a property at the edge of town, far away from any police station, should be an easy job for me.

Downloadlink:
    http://www.southquarter.com/download..._SecretCon.zip
    http://www.taffersparadise.co.uk/thi..._SecretCon.zip
    Project Hammer - Secret Connections: Download from Filehorst

For all "New DarkLoader" users: Please update to the latest version or you might not see the correct readme file.

Now have fun taffing around in my FM. I highly appreciate Feedback of all sorts!

Best regards,
    DarkThief Darek
    Last edited by DarkThief Darek; 14th Aug 2017 at 18:32. Reason: Added tafferparadise link, thanks to Lord Soth

Southquarter.com/fms
    Congrats on the release, nice to see another old school Thief Gold mission. Here's a mirror (I think some English folks might get confused on the German download site):

http://www.southquarter.com/download..._SecretCon.zip

Congrats on the release!

Thanks for the additional mirror Brethren! I included it in my initial post.
    I knew I would overlook something: a german file host on an english forum is definitely not a good idea! (I wrote the release post on both forums ttlg.com/de simultaneously)

If there is an update, would you consider marking the optional objective as neutral at the start and then as completed at the end?
    It's not a big deal, but with the new objective complete scripts for Thief 1, this will trigger an objective complete message and sound at mission start.
    A minor detail.

Congratulations on this release

I very much enjoyed project hammer, so am very excited to see it upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandall View Post
    If there is an update, would you consider marking the optional objective as neutral at the start and then as completed at the end?
    It's not a big deal, but with the new objective complete scripts for Thief 1, this will trigger an objective complete message and sound at mission start.
    A minor detail.
    Sadly I had to mark the optional goal as "completed" right at the start.
    As far as I know optional objectives aren't supported in Thief 1/Gold like they are in Thief 2. I have no option to mark the goal "complete" if you finish the last objective. Therefore there aren't any optional goals in any Thief Gold FM (AFAIK)

But the funny thing is: I didn't even know there exists a objective complete scripts for Thief 1! Good to know. ^^

Many thanks, looks great and the atmosphere feels just right.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkThief Darek View Post
    Sadly I had to mark the optional goal as "completed" right at the start.
    As far as I know optional objectives aren't supported in Thief 1/Gold like they are in Thief 2. I have no option to mark the goal "complete" if you finish the last objective. Therefore there aren't any optional goals in any Thief Gold FM (AFAIK)

But the funny thing is: I didn't even know there exists a objective complete scripts for Thief 1! Good to know. ^^
    Thanks for the reply.
    Really beautiful mission so far, but quite a challenge. I might have to bump down to normal for my first run.

Congratulations on your FM. Looking forward to playing over the weekend

need a bit of help i used small key in church but not sure what it did ,i heard a noise but see nothing open?

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    need a bit of help i used small key in church but not sure what it did ,i heard a noise but see nothing open?
    Did you read the "important note" you get when reading about what Project Hammer actually is?
    These instructions should help. It is actually intended that you don't have a clue what to do in the chapel if you didn't read them.

If you didn't, then you should look more carefully in the bedroom of the lord.

Thanks DarkThief Darek for the new FM. I completed on expert with 2275 loot. I went sort of slow and back tracked a lot looking for more loot. It took me about 2:20 .

There are 2 mysteries to me:

#1 - can I open the two locked doors in the lower "cell" region? One main door near the unreadable posters/notes and the other door to one small cell. I have the prison key.
    #2 - I collected arms and legs and put them on the fire, but cannot do anything to the red head. Should I shoot it with holy water? Maybe the thing I got from the witch... Hum...?

Since it is really early in the release, hints would be cool instead of outright answers. Oh, and I failed the knockout objective within 5 minutes of starting I have to live up to my name. One last thing, the final stats screen comes up in German. I know a bit of German, but some may have some trouble. No worries though. Glad to have a new FM to play. Thanks. And thanks Brethren for the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by bjack View Post
    One last thing, the final stats screen comes up in German. I know a bit of German, but some may have some trouble. No worries though. Glad to have a new FM to play. Thanks. And thanks Brethren for the mirror.
    Eh ... I sure left a DEBRIEF.str in the german sub folder (initially I want to write the secret counter in the stats, but didn't do it at the end, so it's an overlooked leftover from it)
    But it's strange how such a file in a german sub folder can manipulate other languages. :/

About the mysteries:

#1 The prison key can't open all doors, because some of them are old and stuck in the doorframe (it's indicated by the sound while frobbing the door). You "can" open them, but you have to solve the "stuck in doorframe" problem. A key won't help you there.
    #2 The red head is strong. Very strong. But you can do something about him. At first it is actually intended to run away from him if you aren't prepared. Running away will also kinda solve mystery #1.
    If you are in a save place you can try different things on him in order to damage him. I won't spoil anything about what will kill him. But to tease a little: There are 3 different kind of weapons/items in the FM that can damage and kill him.

Thanks for the little insight about your statistics.

Thanks for the tips! I do have a good save point to use. I think it will be worth it to get these things working for me. Nice mission and challenging, at least it was for me. I was brutish though, knocking out everyone. Even then I had to stay in the shadows and drop down from on high. I hope everyone else enjoys this FM as much as I did.

I’ll probably play again and try to keep the black jacking down to no more than 2. I can see how that would be pretty challenging.

bit of help? where do i use explosive mixture,i frobed it from that attic area,through the tiny bared opening

also whereif the hidden key,i already completed wizard necklace,then i just have to exit
    Last edited by downwinder; 5th Aug 2017 at 04:14.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Pretty nice fm, a bit too hard/challenging I'd say.
    There is little to no shadow to hide with, and the fact I could turn off the lights came way too late, when I already visited the whole manor and got rid of everyone. The idea to ghost the mission and not alarm anyone is pretty frustrating, even when you know the layout, I gave up pretty quick. I would have given access to the generator room very early, this way I would have tried ghosting.
    Also, the loot is rather difficult to find, I spent half an hour backtracking, desperately trying to find the missing 100 loot I needed to complete the loot objective.

Other than that, solid little mission, looks great and got that thief gold feel. I really wanted to visit the outside city, the views you get from a few windows are great. And the underground area is very cool, it was a pleasant surprise to discover the mission had an extension.

Now, I found 2 secret objectives, I got the amulet and got rid of the wizard, but I fail to find the third secret. I assume I need to do something with the amulet, but any hint would be apreciated.
    Also, I didn't find the explosive mixture downwinder talks about, is that it ?

A very nice make over Dark Thief Darek, but I have only played on normal so far and completed it without finding any of the 3 hidden objectives, nor did I find any of the objects mentioned by others in this thread, such as arms, legs, head, explosive mixture, wizard necklace, amulet or cells etc.

Can you confirm that these optional objectives and extra objects are only available on the higher difficulties, as the read-me file does not say, or does this mean I'm completely useless.

@ downwinder
    the explosive mixture is a strong weapon that can kill many things at once. Even you if you are not careful. You can try to use it if you have problems with some enemies in the FM.
    What hidden key do you mean? Do you mean the quest key from the Hammerites? For that you can read hints about where to find in in the lords bedroom.

@ DrK
    I can understand if the FM is difficult to ghost. Knowing the layout of a FM isn't going to help much in ghosting here. You need to analyze the patrol routes from the guards and also rely on your ears to measure the distance they are away from you. Do you know you can lean against a closed door and hear everything in the room behind that door? That is also a pretty helpful strategy.
    You don't need many shadows, when you know, where the guards are patroling. The guards have a fairly long patrol route, so there is always an opening that is unprotected.
    Also there are some secret passages, ceiling beams or an open window to the first floor that lets you bypass the heavily guarded places in the manor. And don't be shy to use water arrows. In many FMs I don't need to use them, because there are too many shadows. Here I tried to give the water arrow more of value.
    I don't say it will be easy to ghost with 0 KOs and 0 water arrows used and such, but it's definitely possible - even Extreme Ghost should be possible.

Did you play the old Project Hammer version as well? Because I didn't change much on the enemy patrols and there are more shadows in the FM than before.

And it is intended that the machinery key can't be obtained early in the game. The idea behind it is to make the backtracking or the second floor easier if one has too much trouble with the tiled floor. It should not be a primary focus to turn off the lights in order to win the FM in a particular style. You can ghost the map with or without it. I guess Extreme Ghost will probably forbid turning off the lights.

But anyway, thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated!

For the third secret there are some interesting hints in the sergeants diary (the bedroom where you also find the machinery key) - The diary is under the table near the bed.
    If that didn't help: search more in the area above the store room on the second floor. That is the entrance to the ceiling beams - and maybe you find something up there.

@fortuni:
    Well, I tried to be pretty transparent in what the difficulty settings change in the map. So the readme is still true. Every secret area or objective is completely independent from the difficulty setting.
    But don't worry about your taffing abilities. The secret areas are well hidden, so it's pretty easy to overlook them. ^^
    Some hints maybe?
    - I gave DrK in the spoiler some hints for one of the secrets
    - the lord has a very informative diary in his bedroom. He also writes about a hidden armory. You need to find that room. And if you find it, don't forgetto look in all corners of the room.

And thanks to all for the nice posts and congratulations so far. It's always awesome to talk with others about the own FM. ^^
    Last edited by DarkThief Darek; 6th Aug 2017 at 08:41.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Thanks I found it.

I know all the tricks you're talking about, but you didn't give us many options. We can't really analyze the patrol routes as we keep struggling, trying to find shadows to hide with. And even when I figured a route I didn't want to take the risk as I didn't have any shadow to rely on, in case things went sour. Now I guess once you know the routes and the layout, where the keys are located and such, it's possible to do it, but for a first playthrough it's very, very rough.

Also, you wanted to give some value to water arrows, but the way I see it you basically force us to use them, while I think we should have the option not to use them.

Anyway, great tough mission

IMHO this mission is turning into a really rather clever and very good little mission, for such a small map you have certainly packed a lot into it, and for the life of me I am yet to uncover any of the hidden objectives.

Having played to original many times I thought I could beat this upgraded mission in 10 minutes, no chance

So I have got down into the cells, found a couple of bones and now need to do something with the skull i'm guessing, but you mentioned the diary in the sergeant's room, but that told me nothing to help me, you also mentioned the storage room, but I had already discovered where that leads to, and again it doesn't seem to help with any of the hidden objectives....or am I missing something in the storage room apart from a hidden lever.

Can you give me another hint as to what to do with the skull, I have already used 2 bones, but I guessing there are more, but where?, as I assume once past that will it lead to the other 2 hidden objectives.
    Last edited by fortuni; 5th Aug 2017 at 11:34.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Now I guess once you know the routes and the layout, where the keys are located and such, it's possible to do it, but for a first playthrough it's very, very rough.
    I understand what you mean. I guess this map is kinda easy if you know the layout and all patrol routes, but that is the case with every FM I think. Sadly I can't switch roles to play this map for the first time, without knowing everything I know now. I generally ghost every Thief FM I play for the first time. But many maps aren't really optimized for ghosting (too many guards with too short patrol routes) or made it practically impossible, because of unavoidable guards and such.

In my opinion the guards in this map have fairly large patrol routes so it's easy to avoid them, but I see your point in feeling save in dark corners while observing the area. In this case there are definitely too few natural dark corners, but also there are many rooms where guards don't patrol in.

I think this is the critical point.

I know all rooms where guards don't patrol in, so I feel safe in them, even if they are well-lit. But even if you don't know which room is save (logical rule for example - bedrooms are often unguarded, especially if somone is sleeping in them or the door was locked) you have always water arrows at your disposal when the situation might seem to get out of control. And when you don't want to use water arrows, you can always hide behind an open door, because guards can't see you behind open doors - or behind a corner. Always check your options when you enter a new room.
    So therefore I think you have many options, but not so many as in say "Baffords manor" - but sometimes you have different options you don't use often in a regular Thief missions, because you don't need to with a sheer amount of natural dark corners.
    I generally like the constant tension you have while sneaking through unknown (often well-lit) territory, knowing behind every corner or door can be someone. So you need all your learned Thief skills when you want to ghost the FM. I think I conveyed that feeling in this FM, but maybe that's not for everyone.

But thanks for those discussions. Every players has its own taste and every creator has its own style. Everyone can learn something from another.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Having played to original many times I thought I could beat this upgraded mission in 10 minutes, no chance
    Hahah, nice! That's exactly the reason why I didn't advertised this map as a sole "remastered" version of my old "Project Hammer" FM. Because in the end there is alot more stuff to do and stuff to explore. It was a pretty fun experience to spice such an old primitve FM up into this one. I also liked the idea of the old "Project Hammer", but I know I could get much more out of it. Especially with New Dark. All my Thief 2 FM attempts in the past failed because I wasn't happy with certain aspects from it.
    So I'm glad it worked out and thank you for your kind words.

So now on to the secret objectives - more hints:
    The sergeant wrote in his diary, that he saw the female servant often lurking in the storage room on the second floor. This is also the room where you can enter the ceiling beams to get into the chapel. So you should look in that area more carefully. Remember that the sergeant couldn't find anything, so you have to look more carefully in order to find something.
    If that didn't help you: There is a secret room you can't enter the normal way. There is a trapdoor in the servant bedroom (with the love letter) that leads to the attic. But this is the wrong way, you need to find another door (secret door) into the attic. Knowing where the attic-room is and knowing where the female servant was often seen (storage room with access to ceiling beams) that should give you a pretty good hint, where to find that door. The secret switch to open it isn't far away from it.

For the other secrets: You are right, you need more bones. You need 5 bones to be exact. And they are scattered in the whole area. I don't know what bones you have. But I can give you some pointers where to look:
    - Always look at the ceiling. Sometimes you can see a hole where you can climb into
    - Check all prison cells and remember that the bones make a loud noise if you are near them. Sometimes you need tools to get to bones. Keep in mind the place is old and forgotten. So dirt and rubble can cover the floor and hide anything underneath it - but always remember that you can hear the bones.
    - Try to have a little fun with spiders - did you discovere them?. The bones also glow red in the dark, so you can easily spot them from far away, but sometimes you need to search for it in dangerous locations

Finished not without a little help

I missed out the spiders entirely, didn't realise there was another staircase, and finding the attic was not easy either.

Thank you for a superb improvement on what was a nice but run of the mill mansion mission, into a great little mission, challenging mainly due to some very well hidden buttons. I kinda of agree with the comments as to the guards, sneaking past them all is not easy so I ended up resorting to the old fashioned run and hide method, but overall hugely enjoyable.

Playing on Expert. Nice mission!

I haven't figured out how to open the two jammed cell doors. I can't see much in them. Am I missing any loot because of this?

well i think my mission is stuck? can find hidden key in objective,the church small key did nothing,i read book in master room

can i please get a straight out spoiler,it seems i got everything else 100% i am wondering if i got a glitch in key not being accessable?

and i never killed the skeleton guy i was able to avoid him,but as i was making my way out of the area,he reapeard by the start of prison and blew open that first locked gate,scared me good