TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Charlottesville Virginia

Wow, even you Kolya?

Sad thing is, Im not sure if you do or dont understand that Renz is mocking me for witnessing geoengineering, as that occured before your recent return, unless you were lurking all along and are now getting your jab in too.

Either way guys, I have decided to just walk away from this for now. I keep mistakenly saying TTLG, when I really just mean CommShit.

Moderator and Priest
    You talking about that grid of vapor trails? There are a thousand and one reasons for that. Why jump to the most extreme conclusion?

*You* did this to me.

Like I said, man, sorry for calling you an Asshat, sorry for "shitting" on this thread, I go away now so you guys can put the file report button away. Its all gravy in tha navy, but I will still be reading this silly stuff.

None of you fuckers knows as much about civil war history as me. None. Challenge me. I've read Shelby Foote's 1600 page tome on it. I've studied it. I respect the truth about history. I want the truth known. All of it warts and all. So this bullshit about statues erected in the twentieth century being sacred is a load of crap. History? What in hell does a statue tell you? Just what this or that general looked like. I like Renzes solution about putting them on battlefields or graveyards where you are there for the specific purpose of learning that history.

So in front of court houses or in parks where they are seen by those not seeking history? Why? Unless that court house was burned by Union forces as general A.J.Smith did the Oxford, Ms. court house then why? Every black person who goes by them is reminded that person wanted to keep them enslaved. Why do you want to remind them of that? Do you want to rub it in their faces? Do you want to show them you revere those who wanted to keep them in chains? Oh but history is sacred right? Fine. Put it where folks are seeking to learn history.

And oh holy hell such a load of crap the Santayana quote about those who forget history. Such hypocrisy. How about YOU don't forget history? The south was WRONG. States rights? Yeah. States rights to OWN SLAVES. Charles Barkley and a lot of good black folks walk past our arrogance daily but that don't make it right. You want to learn history? READ A DAMN BOOK. A statue does not teach you all the words in a book. It lets you know what a particular person looked like. That's all. That's it. And they were put up as a dick in the eye of the north telling us what to do. You know it if you are from the south. But that dick in the eye did not take into account our own good black folks that have to suffer our stupid shit that just craps all over what they may feel about our "revering" those who wanted them in chains.

Fuck you. Fuck you if you want to ignore their feelings. Fuck you if you don't want to acknowledge that to stand up to racist fascist fucks is a GOOD thing. Want to lump them in with those who ARE racist fascist fucks like the president did? FUCK YOU. YOU do not know that folks did not stand up to Nazis in Germany when they could? NO? Then why in hell do you think folks should not stand up to them now? Fuck Trump and his racist voters. Fuck YOU if you do not think we should stand against fascists because they are voters for Trump. Fuck you for making light of them. Fascists succeeded once. Why would they not again if we do not stand against them? We are too special? Not by a long shot. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. If you don't think we should stand against fascists then YOU are forgetting history.

Goddamn it I'm drunk but that don't make every word I said the truth. Some of you piss me right the hell off for what you ignore and twist to fit the way you want things to be instead of what they are. Fuck you. I think you KNOW exactly what you are doing. Sure I get shit faced every night of the weekend but if fascists come to my town I guarantee I will be stone cold sober and standing against them. I won't make excuses for them or standing with them because I made the mistake of voting for an ass who does. Fuck you. You know who you are.

Moderator and Priest
    Drunk Tocky is best Tocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    You're kinda begging to be banned, aren't you?
    No, but if that turns out to be the case, I hope you would limit it to CommyChat.

Prior to the Trump Wars, I was only ever banned but one time.

Moderator and Priest

Next-Level Gaming: The New ‘Call Of Duty’ Will Penalize Players For Shooting Nazis Who Are Actually Very Fine People

Instead of just blasting away at every enemy soldier, players will have to consider whether each individual Nazi might be an otherwise decent person who just happens to be fighting alongside some real bad apples. Shoot a Nazi who’s actually a pillar of his community and is proud of his heritage and you’ll take a blow to your health or ammo.

[. . .]

With their identical uniforms, similar shouted slogans, and almost indistinguishable behavior, gamers will have to push their skills to the limit to pick out the regular-Joe Nazis from the actually evil Nazis they’re supposed to shoot. But for true completists, it will be worth it when they unlock the “Just War” achievement for beating the game without shooting a single Nazi who, in fact, doesn’t agree on absolutely everything with his comrades!

I will let this young lady do the talking:

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    You're kinda begging to be banned, aren't you?
    More free speech encouragement. Nice. Nothing new, but always a nice thing to see.

Free speech does not mean other people are obligated to give you a platform for your ideas.

This XKCD comic applies, as so often.

Chakat sex pillow
    It also doesn't mean erratic hateful behaviour against groups of people should be encouraged. Like, you know, what this thread is about.

Edit: yup, that XKCD comic is always on point, Thirith.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn View Post
    Wow, even you Kolya?

Sad thing is, Im not sure if you do or dont understand that Renz is mocking me for witnessing geoengineering, as that occured before your recent return, unless you were lurking all along and are now getting your jab in too.
    Your memory is failing you here, stratosfear.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Free speech does not mean other people are obligated to give you a platform for your ideas.
    Quite. But doing so is a step towards actually expanding your mind.

"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

That's my take on the statue take down.

The world was (and still is in many places) a terrible place. People did horrible things. But if we whitewash them from history then we've learned nothing.

We're not going to learn anything anyways. Nobody actually wants to be content in a peaceful world. We'd start twitching like mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Your memory is failing you here, stratosfear.
    OK, so you were there.

That doesnt mean you hafta take a jab at poor GMD tho, I mean, have I *ever* done anything hateful to anybody?

Um, no... but I sure have taken a *lot* of abuse! Again, all is gravy, in tha navy, peace then for now, crackers. But please, do enjoy the video of my friend I linked for you guys, here in bubble-land, you know, just to give you a glimpse of what us *real* 99%ers are like.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Quite. But doing so is a step towards actually expanding your mind.

Besides, I don't consider listening to bigoted comments about how white supremacy is awesome and how gay people are icky as expanding one's mind. Rather the opposite, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    "If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

That's my take on the statue take down.

The world was (and still is in many places) a terrible place. People did horrible things. But if we whitewash them from history then we've learned nothing.
    So, should there be statues for the British generals of the Revolutionary War, lest people forget? Also, what would you learn from it (other than the year of birth, year of death, and how the guy looked on a horse)?
    Last edited by Starker; 19th Aug 2017 at 12:47.

Everyone looks good on horse. So that's a no-brainer.

Maybe not quite everyone.

I wasn't saying to build new statues. More in keeping the existing ones, as they are a part of a history.

We may not like what has happened in the past by leaders, BUT it is part of history. And remembering those parts/facts and not wiping them from history is important for future generations.

As someone posted earlier, they were built during a different era. Sure we all may be living in a more "enlightened" time now, but does that give us the right to remove all mention of it? I think not.

It's like over here in Australia. We have Australia day on the 26th of January, which signifies the date that we were declared a nation. There is a minority of people that call this "invasion day", and want it changed due to the injustices committed against the Aboriginal people. Sure there was numerous evils committed, but the date is the date. Changing the day of celebration wont change what date it was originally declared, so it's silly to change it imo.

How does putting a statue in a museum remove all mention of it? People still learn about it in school. The issue is not about whether to remember or forget what happened, the issue is about glorifying the leaders of a failed rebellion by displaying their statues in public spaces. It's not about the victims of the war, it's more about how gloriously the South fought. And that's why certain groups keep rallying around them. They want it to happen again. They want to repeat the history.

A public, prominent statue isn't historical (except for facial features - and that only when they're well done), it's a commemorative memorial. In these cases, it's a celebration of racial subjugation and oppression, and the fight for that. The civil war is long over, but the struggle over racial subjugation and oppression continues on a daily basis in this country. It ebbs and flows, but it never ceased and it never even paused. These statues were created by supporters of racial subjugation (klansmen) to commemorate warriors for racial subjugation (confederate soldiers) and now defended by protestors supporting racial subjugation (alt-right) - and there's a mountain of primary-source evidence that that's exactly what they were doing, even in those cases where "white supremacy" isn't literally carved in stone on the statue's base.

History belongs in books and museums.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast