TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Charlottesville Virginia

Moderator and Priest
    When you break every conspiracy down to it's core aspects, it always ends up with people being bussed somewhere.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 21st Aug 2017 at 13:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn View Post
    As an aware independent, sometimes my point of view makes you partisan haxx jelly, I get that, so by all means flame away!
    Aside from flattering yourself undeservedly, this is what you accused Renz of "fabricating" about you. Your lack of self-awareness is on a Trump-like level.

I sometimes go to work by bus.

dun dun dun dun dun

In other news: Fucking Nazis is not an option. http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017...-fucking-nazis

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    A public, prominent statue isn't historical (except for facial features - and that only when they're well done), it's a commemorative memorial. In these cases, it's a celebration of racial subjugation and oppression, and the fight for that. The civil war is long over, but the struggle over racial subjugation and oppression continues on a daily basis in this country. It ebbs and flows, but it never ceased and it never even paused.
    The struggle over racial subjugation and oppression continues despite fighting the Civil War. It will continue despite removing these statues. And even if you could remove every symbol and record of slavery in America, it will still continue. Because you can't solve modern problems by fighting over past history.

These statues were created by supporters of racial subjugation (klansmen) to commemorate warriors for racial subjugation (confederate soldiers) and now defended by protestors supporting racial subjugation (alt-right) - and there's a mountain of primary-source evidence that that's exactly what they were doing, even in those cases where "white supremacy" isn't literally carved in stone on the statue's base.
    If there is such a mountain, share some of it.
    Here are the men who funded and created the Charlotteville statue:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Goodloe_McIntire
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Shrady

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Outside, in the museum garden.
    You can store hundreds of them, per museum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Also on battlefields and Confederate cemeteries.
    Leave the museums and battlefields alone. So far, the people trying to purge symbols of the Confederacy haven't paid too much attention to the museums and battlefields. Moving statues there is just going to give them new targets. As much as I dislike seeing these statues removed or destroyed, closing down Confederate and Civil War museums is far worse. I've already heard of one example, Nash Farm Battlefield in greater Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I've already heard of one example, Nash Farm Battlefield in greater Atlanta.
    Well, the commissioner claims she never asked that the flags inside the museum be removed, just the ones visible from outside, since it was on public property. It's certainly regrettable that the museum decided to shut down in response to that, but really, it seems more like an overreaction on the part of the museum than anything else.

Here's a story that goes more in depth about it: http://www.myajc.com/news/local/conf...fpefMyD37LumL/

A bit of he said, she said there. And then the main donor took his toys and went home.

BTW, this happened in my area over the weekend:
    https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...-boston-common

I was talking to a coworker today who went to the Boston common on Saturday to march. Although there wasn't much violence overall, it was all from counter-protestors going after the police. Apparently, there were groups of people who had come for a fight, trying to get through the crowds to the rally entrance to confront rally-goers. Having failed to engage any rally-goers, some took it out on police, throwing bottles and rocks and stuff at them, shouting obscenities, blocking their movement, hitting their vehicles, etc. The police were very patient and very few people ended up getting hurt or arrested in the end.

It wasn't all totally cool. According to my coworker, the crowds around the area he was in ran off anyone they saw with a pro-Trump shirt or cap. The police didn't let any press into the rally area, and literally pulled the plug on the rally, so the first two speeches were just live streamed from a cell phone. And then they convinced the organizers to call it quits before the crowd got too out of hand. They took them down through the garage under the common and drove them out of the area in police vans, but not before having to push through an angry mob blocking their path.

But considering the number of people who showed up, I heard some estimates up to 40 thousand, it could have been much worse, complete mayhem. The alt-lite group who organized this thing held a previous "free speech rally" in the same location in May, which was put together in response to the cancellation of Milo and associated mini-riot in Berkeley. That rally went off without much fanfare and a few hundred attendees. This time the police were expecting maybe a few thousand counter-protestors to show up because of Charlottesville. Not 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn View Post
    I will let this young lady do the talking:

There's nothing more attractive than a strong, intelligent woman, who is able to see and overcome the illusions that would otherwise capture and manipulate the mind of the emotionally insecure.

After the Civil War, the historical premise for erecting these statues was for unity and forgiveness...in order for the North and South to move forward healed and united as Americans.

Again, this is the fundamental premise for the existence of these Confederate statues...as opposed to the one-dimensional, distorted perspective of glorifying racism.

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    They woke, too...

Moderator and Priest
    Obviously, as the only truly aware, free thinking individual here, a beacon of light among the benighted masses, herp ah derp ah derp ah derp ah doo.

It doesn't matter how many times it's explained to you, none of you ever quite seem to grasp that the reason you're made fun of here isn't because we're all railing against our own confirmation biases you've all exposed with your Truths, but that you all sound like a bunch of culty douchebags who use catchphrases and buzzwords in lieu of actual debate and honest discussions.

You, GMD, and Tony pop in, make broad claims without backing up a single thing, then verbally masturbate yourselves in front of everyone on the board. It's goddamn obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    After the Civil War, the historical premise for erecting these statues was for unity and forgiveness...in order for the North and South to move forward healed and united as Americans.
    Oh, come on now. They weren't erected by klansmen to celebrate racial subjugation and they weren't erected for forgiveness to heal the North/South divide either.

All these "woke" folks remind me of the woke flat earthers on the NASA site. I wonder how much money gets slipped to these blacks to spout bullshit lies for the alt right. Totally unsubstantiated crap that not one picture in this day of cellphone clicking mania can verify. Of course the alt right idiots slurp it up like it was Hillary's tears. Everyone else understands it's like National Enquirer headlines but they repeat and slather their facebook pages with it like gospel.

Some say the two nations are still at war, more than two centuries later, over the proper spelling of the word "aluminum."

How I Became Fake News

I witnessed a terrorist attack in Charlottesville. Then the conspiracy theories began.

Last Sunday evening, I received a worried call from my sister asking if I had spoken with my mother and father. I had spent the day doing interviews about the vehicle attack I witnessed the day before while protesting the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville and had not been in front of a computer all day. She told me that my parentsí home address had been posted on a neo-Nazi conspiracy theorist message board.

"They are suggesting that you arranged the attack, Brennan," she said. "There are death threats against you."

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Everyone else understands it's like National Enquirer headlines but they repeat and slather their facebook pages with it like gospel.
    Have you seen the Enquirer lately? It went full-bore Trump nut.

Moderator and Priest

Sounds like effort on Obama-chan's part, so it just doesn't sell on the realism aspect.

Moderator and Priest
    ...wut?

Unlike Lord Dampnut who spends most of his time tweeting, watching TV, and goes golfing almost every week?

Jeaekjaekaj, yeah I heard about that. That's pretty funny. If it's 55, then it almost averages on like twice a week. Trump is such a relateable character.
    Edit: Oh you meant the 23 confirmed golfings (although why visit so much if ya ain't gonna golf). How much did Obama golf anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Have you seen the Enquirer lately? It went full-bore Trump nut.
    I've noticed the headlines as I go past with my cat litter. Apparently Trump is doing so badly they have begun blaming Obama for the stupid that comes out of Trumps mouth. It would seem Bat Boy and alien abduction is too credible these days for them. Absolutely astounding the twisting conservatives are doing to try to brainwash their gullible base. It works too. Look at Vae. He posts shit only an idiot would believe and expects to win over folks here with it. On right wing sites where they think Obama is the devil it does. Like baby birds when mommy comes they just swallow it down without a look or thought.

Also Thor... are you okay? There was a chart comparing Obama's and Trump's golfing on the site. Easy visual. And what did you mean by "Sounds like effort on Obama-chan's part, so it just doesn't sell on the realism aspect"? Are you having a stroke?
    Last edited by Tocky; 23rd Aug 2017 at 01:34.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    How much did Obama golf anyway?
    The amount of money we taxpayers had spent on Obama's golfing trips and vacations to Hawaii over the first 6 years of his presidency: $40,000,000+ for 38 vacations. Overall, I think he went on over 45 vacations by the end of his presidency. We probably spent about ~$55,000,000 by the end of his 2nd term.

The amount of money we taxpayers have spent on Trump's golfing trips and vacations to New York and Florida over the last 9 months: $52,000,000 for 55 vacations per the website above.

Yeah.

The secret service has maxed out their budget already. No wonder having paid $60,000 on just golf cart fees to Trumps Mar-a-Lago resort. Trump is making out well off of it. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FQPZyw_8tMSkCg