TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Updated Conv 70 (zomdanc2) Anyone?

Updated Conv 70 (zomdanc2) Anyone?

There is a minor issue with Conv 70. The dancing AI always sinks into the floor. It is as if the motion is offset just a little downwards. See dancing thief below. His whole foot is below the floorboard. His dancing partner uses Conv 71, and doesn't sink into the floor. Does anyone have an update for the Conv 70 motion which fixes this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dump152.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	2376

Oh, and a fixing Conv 72 (zombdance) to loop properly would be great too. Right now there is a very noticeable jump happening when the motion resets.

Edit: Sheesh! Conv 75 (robot-like dance) also has the AI sinking up to its ankles into the floor.
    Last edited by LarryG; 13th Aug 2017 at 02:45.

I was looking at Conv 70 in motedit to see if there was a way to bump up the elevation a small amount in each frame, but its so hard to really see what's going on in motedit's stick figure.

What are exactly the motion file names? And btw. where do you get these Conv 70+ schemas from? I can see only up to Conv 41...
    Anyway - if you give me a list of the .mi files, I'll try to fix these.

I only found this 'zomdance' one and it seems like the feet are overlapping - is that how it looks like in the game as well?

Photobucket images don't work any more. The additional schemas are here: http://www.angelfire.com/games4/shadowspawn/Tools.html - General Purpose Motion Database.

Here's a version of zomdanc2 I tweaked in Blender:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/zomdanc2.zip

Thanks for zomdanc2. I'll give it a try.

It works GREAT! Thank you.

Any love on fixing Conv 72 (zombdance) and Conv 75 (pdrdance)? I don't mean to be greedy ...

Also, just for fun, I ran makmdb inside of a bat file with a pause so that I could see any diagnostics it prints out, and saw this:
    Unable to find file bowFlex_.mc in Motions directory. Writing blank entry!
    Unable to find file camSynch_.mc in Motions directory. Writing blank entry!
    Unable to find file bowFlex.mi in Motions directory. Writing blank entry!
    Unable to find file camSynch.mi in Motions directory. Writing blank entry!

Is that normal? Are those two motions normally missing? Should I have them? If so can someone share them?

Shadowspawn mentioned those in his readme file that came with makmdb. They don't exist so you can safely ignore those errors.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    It works GREAT! Thank you.

Any love on fixing Conv 72 (zombdance) and Conv 75 (pdrdance)? I don't mean to be greedy ...
    Sometimes I find it hard to resist this sort of challenge. Here's a looped version of zomdance with the feet improved:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/zomdance_lp.zip

Unlike the other one, this is not a drop-in replacement, so you'll need to create a new motion DB. I renamed the file in case you also want the originals.

I'm not able to convert pdrdance to bvh (I use Telliamed's python script to convert them to and from bvh), so maybe you could look in the motion editor and just set the model poisition (copy values from frame 1 to the last frame, set a marker and use linear interpolation).

Well, that wasn't quite as successful. The AI dance still has a teleport in it at end where the AI suddenly appears at a new location. In addition, this jump gets the AI to wander forward instead of just dancing in place.
    Edit: and the long pause at the start of the motion is unfortunate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I'm not able to convert pdrdance to bvh (I use Telliamed's python script to convert them to and from bvh), so maybe you could look in the motion editor and just set the model poisition (copy values from frame 1 to the last frame, set a marker and use linear interpolation).
    I understand the words, individually, but what to actually do about them is a mystery. I have no idea how to find the motion editor, let alone set the model position or do linear interpolation between two positions, if that's what you are suggesting. Or phrased somewhat more colloquially: "??"
    Last edited by LarryG; 14th Aug 2017 at 01:22.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Well, that wasn't quite as successful. The AI dance still has a teleport in it at end where the AI suddenly appears at a new location. In addition, this jump gets the AI to wander forward instead of just dancing in place.
    Edit: and the long pause at the start of the motion is unfortunate as well.
    Did you remember to rebuild the motion database? The edited motion has fewer frames than the original, so it can't just replace the original zomdance.

If you did (and you put all files in the correct places), I'd be willing to look at it in Dromed. Do I have the AI setup in that video, or can you send me a demo mission with the current dancing set up?

I understand the words, individually, but what to actually do about them is a mystery. I have no idea how to find the motion editor, let alone set the model position or do linear interpolation between two positions, if that's what you are suggesting. Or phrased somewhat more colloquially: "??"
    The motion editor (motedit.exe) is in the Dromed Toolkit. It can load the .mi and .mc files of a motion. The editing ability is, well... it exists, but is not very user friendly. From the drop down menu you can select a joint (or model position). You can see how the XYZ values change with each frame.

Go to Edit > Options > Interactive... > Yes

The only quick way to change values over multiple frames is with linear interpolation between one frame and another. In motedit, go to any frame, then go to Edit > Set Marker, then go to any other frame and try out the linear interpolation options. To correct the feet angles, you can select an ankle, position it correctly in frame 1, set a marker at that frame, then go to the end, copy from the marked frame and then use linear interpolation to set the same angle throughout the whole motion.

You could break up the interpolation a bit. E.g the correct angles at frame 1 and then 120, interpolate between them, and then set the correct angles at from 250 and interpolate from frame 120.

Edit: I was able to get pdrdance into Blender by opening it in motedit and then saving without any changes.

Yes. I added a motion schema (below) to go with the zomdance_lp.mi and zomdance_lp.mc which I put in my Motions directory. I then rebuilt the motion database.

Code:
    schema Conv 72A
    MType  GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale  0
    motion zomdance_lp  4  500
    Does the conversation name need to be all numeric maybe? But it didn't throw an error when I built the db ...

No errors other than those noted above which I now don't worry about
    Code:
    MakMDB Version 1.0 by Shadowspawn
    Reading Torso information
    Reading Motion groups
    Reading Motion Tags
    Unable to find file bowFlex_.mc in Motions directory. Writing blank entry!
    Unable to find file camSynch_.mc in Motions directory. Writing blank entry!
    Unable to find file bowFlex.mi in Motions directory. Writing blank entry!
    Unable to find file camSynch.mi in Motions directory. Writing blank entry!
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Edit: I was able to get pdrdance into Blender by opening it in motedit and then saving without any changes.
    Does this mean you may be able to get him dancing at floor level? That would be great.
    Last edited by LarryG; 14th Aug 2017 at 19:15.

Yes, and it's looping too:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/pdrdance_lp.zip

However, it's quite possible you'll have the same trouble with this. We won't know until you try it. I don't know how the game treats motion schema names, so try using the form Conv 'number' and see what happens.

A couple of other things:
    • There's no technical difference between a looping motion and a non-looping one, in the same way that a seamlessly tiling image is just an image.
    • A useful feature of the motion editor is the checkboxes. E.g. selecting 'left footfall' for a frame will make the game play a footstep sound at that point in the motion.
    • The dancing zombies in Framed were done by sort-of overriding the walk motion with dancing, and giving them a TrolPt to go to.

No wait, that's three things.

I was trying the DromEd motion editor (motedit at the command window). That lets you test a .mc using any AI to see the motions. But I couldn't figure out how to edit the frames to blend the last few frames into the beginning ones. motedit.exe is much harder to visualize what is going on. It doesn't look like there is a teleport there, but there is. So it doesn't seem to be playing the motions the same way that DromEd does.

Edit: Using all numeric values seems to ve the key for CONV,

prdance_lp is great. The transition from last frame to first frame is seamless and the AI stays in one place dancing.

zombdance_lp is less sucessful. The transition from last frame to first frame is seamless, but the AI wanders forward with each repeat of the motion. I guess it could be useful for an AI wandering across the dance floor. Maybe that's why they had the AIs patrolling while doing it.

In any event, thanks bunches!
    Last edited by LarryG; 14th Aug 2017 at 21:01.

Good to hear R Soul managed to do the fixes. I'd like to try giving a shot to the remaining motion, since it should be straightforward in a dedicated animation software - you just create another animation layer and fix their feet to the ground using IK or add correction to the pelvis position and blend it with the original motion. I've been too busy this week though and will be off for the next one, so hopefully it's not too urgent...

I finally managed to find a bit of time to look into it. Here's a fixed version of the zomdance motion:

He looks smaller now, but it's just his butt moved down, so the feet can get planted, instead of floating dead in the air. The motion also is played twice faster, as the original was very slow. It loops seamlessly now. (you can loop youtube videos by right-clicking on them and choosing an option to loop, in case you didn't know (I found it out something like 2 minutes ago...)).

If you're still interested, I can export it for you. (Just need to do a fix or two to the exporter, as currently it's not compatible with Animation Layers. Actually it was my first time I ever used animation layers in 3dsmax... )

Very cool, yes. Thank you.

Here it is - the zip below contains two motions - normal and double speed:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/0qeamz...ance_fixed.zip

The faster version is 450 frames long.

Thank you!