TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing Terror Attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Racists do tend to have excellent poster, weirdly enough. You know, cuz all that goosestepping.
    They've all got bad knees though.

I live two blocks away from the Sagrada Familia (which they wanted to blow up) and I used to work literally across the square from the Ramblas.

Too close for comfort? You bet. But I will not let that cloud my judgment.

These people can call themselves muslims all they want but they are not. I lived right next to the Ramblas in the Raval neighborhood, which is predominantly muslim with a huge Pakistani community, for five years and I've never felt more at home in Barcelona. They are kind, wonderful people and they were DEVASTATED by what happened.

The men who commit these attacks can be misguided, psychos, or a bit of both maybe. But they are NOTHING against the compassion and love I've seen displayed here.

The risk of attacks is a part of our life now, it would be foolish to deny it, but I will not be afraid. They don't get to win that kind of power.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Now there are some things I won't tolerate. People being openly racist against individual members here, and/or happily endorsing hate or terrorist groups will be nixed pretty quicklike.
    That's already happened though. Saying you're a member of the alt-right is essentially saying you're a white supremacist.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here, assuming he's mistaking the alt-right for the isolationist America First populism that's currently sweeping the country.

If you are, Krush, remember that there's a huge difference between the populist "I don't have a problem with other people, but we need to concern ourselves with American workers, American goods, and American interests ahead of everything else", and Richard Spencer's ethno-centric Nazi Lite nationalism.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, we've already told you you're being too soft here. Repeatedly. Get off the fence or go home.

I wonder what happens if I report a mod post. Does it print an exclamation mark on foolscap that's rolled up and sent down a set of pneumatic tubes to somewhere in the Hague?

raph: What good is your anecdote? That's not how arguments work.

For a rational understanding of reality, do not look at insular persons, but examine the different mindsets of the people as a whole.

If your country's statistics are anything like mine, then for each two of those kind wonderful persons there is one fundamentalist who does not condemn the attacks, or even commends the terrorists for increasing the glory of god. That's a problem.
    Last edited by Daxim; 7th Sep 2017 at 15:30. Reason: added who I am replying to

I've posted before that the people who show up with swastikas and KKK hoods are idiots who only damage the "rightist" cause.

Alt-Right means you're a conservative who finally figured out that the Republican party has never been effective and will never accomplish anything (and is essentially just an arm of the Democrats anyway), so you're looking to win rather than accept noble defeat after noble defeat. Hence not of the "traditional" Right (failed Republican party) but the "alternative" Right - aka Alt-right.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I seriously doubt the guy is going to flat out admit he's a Nazi.

Edit: Ninja'd, and proven correct.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxim View Post

For a rational understanding of reality, do not look at insular persons, but examine the different mindsets of the people as a whole.

If your country's statistics are anything like mine, then for each two of those kind wonderful persons there is one fundamentalist who does not condemn the attacks, or even commends the terrorists for increasing the glory of god. That's a problem.
    In rejoinder: what good is yours? Which it is, because I don't know what statistics you're talking about, or any study that's actually been about demarcating the % of radical fundamentalists that exist within an Islamic population. Please cite.

Nice kafkatrap there Brethren. So if I say I'm a Nazi, I'm banned. If I say I'm not a Nazi, then that proves I am one but won't admit it?

Is that really how this is going to work? Anyway, the Nazis lost so why would I want to be one?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    radical fundamentalists
    I noticed you shifting a goalpost here. Not cool. Don't do that.

Please cite.
    http://isbn.nu/9783658175535

Moderator and Priest
    It all comes down to one question: do you want the board completely free of those who hold extreme opinions, or is it something that should be tolerated in the sense that it's allowed to be expressed, even if we find those opinions intolerable?

You know I err towards the latter. As I explained, so long as these opinions are expressed in their proper place, and you don't have people running around the boards screaming their anti-immigrant political screeds down in Thiefgen or wherever, I'll let it slide. Let them show the world how big of an asshole they are. So long as it's kept to vagaries, and the responses it earns are indignant, rather than actual personal offense, then it's allowed. This is what the political threads are for. They're meant for debate, and not everyone believes in things that'd we'd all considered decent or palatable. You're free to ignore it, or respond in kind.

But keep in mind, folks, that these lax rules only apply to the objectively political threads up here in Commchat. This is the only place I'm willing to make exceptions. If any of you decide to interrupt a non-political thread, and go off on a tangent about chemtrails, Muslims, Marxism, climate change, or what have you in a way that's actively disruptive, you'll get warned for the first offense, then you'll get timed out. If you decide to insult someone due to their race, religion, or creed, even in these political threads, you're just gone.

I will allow people to say stupid shit, so long as they're not stupid in how they say it.

ADDENDUM: Don't be actively antagonistic. If you can't present your stupid shit in a reasonable manner, fitting of a well reasoned debate, then don't say your stupid shit at all. Krush, compare and contrast the discussion we all had concerning healthcare vs. this for a good example.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 7th Sep 2017 at 16:04.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    Nice kafkatrap there Brethren. So if I say I'm a Nazi, I'm banned. If I say I'm not a Nazi, then that proves I am one but won't admit it?

Is that really how this is going to work? Anyway, the Nazis lost so why would I want to be one?
    Also, let's try to keep things reasonable in presentation. When you come into one of these threads screaming about how the left tolerates whatever bugbear's crawled up your ass in an overly emotional fashion, it doesn't endear me to you.

edit: though are you saying that the only reason why you don't want to be a Nazi is because they lost? You're really not helping your own case here.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 7th Sep 2017 at 16:11.

Chakat sex pillow
    I noticed you shifting a goalpost here. Not cool. Don't do that.

http://isbn.nu/9783658175535
    Ah, my bad, I thought you were trying to make a point that wasn't awful. I guess you're saying 'fundamentalist' also immediately means being a terrorist sympathiser? Oh boy.

What kind of answer is that? I just flipped the bozo bit on you. *plonk*

Moderator and Priest
    From what I'm reading, Daxim, it seems you're equating the acts of extremists with those of its moderates, likely accusing the moderates of being willfully blind due to their loose association.

You do realize that this very excuse has been used to justify some pretty heinous shit in the past, right?

Chakat sex pillow
    What kind of answer is that? I just flipped the bozo bit on you. *plonk*
    I think it's cute people somewhere in the world still speak like that. And that's a brilliant citation; after all ISBN codes are hard numbers for talking points with, so far, zero quoted data.

I'm sharing my experience and how I feel about it, is all. I'm way past trying to change anybody's mind, I simply refuse to alter my behaviour based on the acts of cowards and I will always default to "this person doesn't want me dead" when meeting other people.

Feel free to do the same or not, based on what I say or not, it's out of my control therefore I don't care. No offense.

it seems you're equating the acts of extremists with those of its moderates
    I don't.

likely accusing the moderates of being willfully blind due to their loose association
    I speculate it's rather indifference, that fits better to well-established observations of human nature.

pretty heinous shit in the past
    Can't/won't happen in Spain/modern Europe.

If your country's statistics are anything like mine, then for each two of those kind wonderful persons there is one fundamentalist who does not condemn the attacks, or even commends the terrorists for increasing the glory of god.
    That would mean that a third of all Austrian Muslims do not condemn terrorists or even glorify them. Ednan Aslan is a liberal critic of many Muslim traditions, but it would be surprising to hear such a sweeping statement from him (especially in a book about Muslim diversity). Maybe you could post the relevant quote from that book?

There are a lot of muslims who condemn these attacks:

Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    Alt-Right means you're a conservative who finally figured out that the Republican party has never been effective and will never accomplish anything (and is essentially just an arm of the Democrats anyway), so you're looking to win rather than accept noble defeat after noble defeat. Hence not of the "traditional" Right (failed Republican party) but the "alternative" Right - aka Alt-right.
    "Alt-right" was coined by literal neo-Nazi Richard Spencer because he thought 'nazi' was "too old fashioned."

If you're a member of the alt-right, you're a fucking nazi.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here, assuming he's mistaking the alt-right for the isolationist America First populism that's currently sweeping the country.
    Renz. Renz. They're the same fucking thing. "America First" is a neo-nazi dogwhistle with its roots in the nazi sympathizer America First Committee of the '40s.

El Shagmeister

Hi.

*Tips hat and waddles away*

Yeah... When people talk about tolerance, they're basically talking about how you were born (race, sex, nationality, age, disability, sexual preferences, religion), not about how you choose to act. That was never unclear to anybody except those who deliberately wanted to misconstrue the virtue. Obviously there are still lines to be drawn, some of which are by nature difficult to pin down, but issues like religious garb in ID photos aren't what that sort of argument was ever about.

You are not born with a religion. (And yet I show a lot of tolerance to you Christian lot!)