TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm SO Old

I'm SO Old

I'm so old (or your mamas' so fat )
    I'm so old I was born before seat belts were mandated by law. My first car had only lap-belts, and the dash was made of metal.
    Gas stations were full service when I was a new driver, they pumped the gas and cleaned your windshield, checked your oil, and even filled up your tires, all for less than $1:00 a gallon. (and yet still made a profit)
    Gas stations were closed on Sundays, as were all stores. I remember when 7/11 was a big deal, they were open 7 days a week, 11 hours a day!
    I remember 8-tracks, and that glorious clunk they made.
    I remember hubcaps, and how fun it was to swap your neighbors hubcaps during the night. If you really wanted to cheese off your neighbor you would add a couple pebbles under the hubcap.
    I remember having a party-line on the phone, you would pick up the phone only to hear a couple of your neighbors exchanging gossip.
    I remember our rotary phone, it had a 20 ft. cord and was the wonder of the neighborhood.
    I remember riding my bike to the local grocery and picking up a roast for my mom, and him adding it to our tab, so she could pay for it the next time she was in the store.
    I remember we had a milk-box on the front porch, milk was delivered everyday right to our front door.

Your mamas' so fat, she jumped in the pool and NASA discovered water on Mars.

What do you remember, or how fat is your mama?

Seat belts? We don't need no steeeenkin seat belts!

I'm old enough to remember what that meme references.

I recall taking a date to dinner and a movie after filling my tank and having money left over from the twenty Dad gave me.
    I remember when an ounce was forty bucks and there were seeds in it and that reminds me of when Sonic brought stuff to your car on a tray that hung on the window. Ummm maybe more later... I still have one of those trays though.

I don't feel like I'm that old. There's an old family photo I remember where a centenarian Civil War vet, some great great uncle or whatever, is holding my father as an infant. So I guess I'm not that young either. Earliest thing I can remember that's date-able is the release of Star Wars: A New Hope and my family going to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Seat belts? We don't need no steeeenkin seat belts!
    When I was in High School I had a class called Cinema Studies, only Art Studies could take it. So of course we all watched "The Wild Bunch", so I get your reference! I remember when a quarter was $25 and it was two fingers deep in a zip-lock bag, so pretty close to half an ounce, but we would only pay that price for really high quality weed. How times have changed!

I'm so old my first pet was a dinosaur. Actually, I remember when a 5-piece pack of chewing gum was only 5 cents and a pack of cigarettes was only 35 cents. And the popular song one summer that made everybody laugh was 'Mr. Custer'. I also remember my parents having a party the weekend of JFK's inauguration. Good times.

Zombified
    I'm old enough to remember my mother covering my mouth with her hand because I was asking stupid questions in public and the secret police had their ears everywhere.

I'm old enough to remember waiting for the Bugs Bunny Show to come on.

Superman came on first but before that it was the test pattern of the Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    I'm old enough to remember my mother covering my mouth with her hand because I was asking stupid questions in public and the secret police had their ears everywhere.
    Imma probably regret this, but are you serious? Details plz.
    Re: cartoons, and TV in general, I remember when stations signed off at night and that test signal in the morning. Also, Bugs and Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, which have now been censored. Thanks for the memories!
    In the early 80's we had an early version of cable tv, it was called "On TV" (if I remember correctly) and it only came on after 8:00pm. The box that controlled it had a cable that lead from the TV, and had a "Battleship" style controller. It had a row of buttons up and down, about 5-6 and a row of 3 across, so you would press two buttons to tune to one channel. It also had NO commercials, which was a thing back then, because you payed for your programing, commercials were deemed unnecessary. I also remember when commercials only ran at 30 minute intervals, and Alfred Hitchcock would complain about them even then. Crap, the little monster has awoken, gotta run.

Zombified
    you don't want your kid yelling "why do we have to be here, this is stupid and boring" when the Reds are doing one of their parades. I mean it was not something that would win you a free ticket to an uranium mine, but could result in a friendly visit from a couple of guys with badges in case someone would report. fun times.

but yeah, ice cream was cheap.

I'm not old.

You lot are SO old. It's disgusting, really.

I'm vintage.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm old enough to remember when I wore a younger person's shoes. Life's about living from the get-go, that's the takeaway, no? Well, I got it, and I went.

El Shagmeister
    I am the Alpha and the Omega.

"There is no advantage getting older. You don’t get smarter, you don’t get wiser, you don’t get more mellow, you don’t get more kindly, nothing good happens. Your back hurts more, you get more indigestion, your eyesight isn’t as good, you need a hearing aid. It’s a bad business getting old and I would advise you not to do it if you can avoid it."

http://the-talks.com/interview/woody-allen/

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    You lot are SO old. It's disgusting, really.
    WHAT DID HE SAY??

Quote Originally Posted by montag View Post
    Imma probably regret this, but are you serious? Details plz.
    May be hard to believe, but it was only 28 years ago that the Cold War ended, Eastern European countries were opened to the West, and things like secret police and political prisoners ended edit: ... in Europe, edit2: ... for the most part. (Their gov'ts are still on the dodgy end of the spectrum, but at least better than then! Edit3: But I may be wrong. I'm just thinking of some news stories I read but I haven't really researched it.)

Speaking of which, and to keep this on topic, I remember when the B52s took off from across the lake from my house in Texas. We were directly under the flightpath. They were still low enough when they passed over that the windows would shake. They'd take off and others would return every couple of hours day and night, on their way to hang around the Arctic Circle until they got the message to come back. If they didn't get that message, they'd hop right over the North Pole and annihilate whatever city was on their list. It was like a daily reminder of the high stakes of that era, and that my house would almost certainly be one of the first places vaporized when WWIII started. I'm so happy that time is over & the world is such a more open place now, but it left something in me too.
    Last edited by demagogue; 24th Aug 2017 at 11:03.

Ah, the cold war. Seems so long ago.

When I was in elementary school, we were taught once a year about safety in the event of a nuclear war: emergency distress system on the TV & radio, recognizing sirens, where the designated fallout shelters were in town, and we did drills where we all went down to the school basement where the cafeteria was, to take cover.

There was an Army depot about 45 min away that stored and shipped nuclear weapons and it was constantly in the news during the 1980s and 1990s because of protests there and people trying to break in. In the early 80s a women-only "peace camp" sprung up next to it, and every summer there were hundreds and sometimes thousands of women staying there to protest.

I remember reading Soviet Military Power in the library and being gobsmacked at the size of the forces. I also remember the intense public debate over the development of the MX missile and SDI. And the huge protests all over Germany against plans to deploy Pershing missiles, which really pissed Reagan off because the proposed Pershing deployment was just a bargaining chip to get to his "zero-zero" option (which later became the INF treaty).

In my teens my Dad had me watching movies like Dr. Strangelove and Fail Safe, and the last time I remember feeling like I was in the Cold War was when watching The Hunt for Red October in the theater. By then the Berlin Wall was already in the process of coming down.

Nuclear weapons and nuclear war was taken with all the deadly seriousness it deserved back then. These days, most people seem to be rather blase about it, even though one could argue that the chances of a nuclear war are greater than they've ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    May be hard to believe, but it was only 28 years ago that the Cold War ended, Eastern European countries were opened to the West, and things like secret police and political prisoners ended edit: ... in Europe, edit2: ... for the most part. (Their gov'ts are still on the dodgy end of the spectrum, but at least better than then! Edit3: But I may be wrong. I'm just thinking of some news stories I read but I haven't really researched it.)
    It really depends on what countries you are dealing with. Some are dodgy in the sense that the US or France are dodgy -- that is, not all is well. Others are dodgy in the sense that they are corrupt autocracies. There are countries that are better off than the US as far as press freedom is concerned and there are countries that don't have a free press.

Anyway, I was on the other side of the Iron Curtain and it was definitely a bizarre experience. So many things that people take for granted simply didn't exist. Censorship was common. Connections were everything. And yes, you could get in serious trouble by doing things as simple as not wearing a red neckerchief in school.

As nobody has yet mentioned remembering Watch with Mother, I can only conclude you're all babies. And farthings.

Before that there was Listen with Mother. Get some in!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I always think it's weird now when I hear about friend's kids going off to college with their laptops and tablets under their arm, and the fact that we didn't have email or even the internet back then, let alone personal computers.

But in some ways, it was a good thing.

Internet? Hell, we didn't have a phone for the longest time, so if I wanted to meet with friends, I had to go to their house and ring the doorbell and ask if they were home.