TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Make a readable cycle through different messages?

Make a readable cycle through different messages?

Is it possible to have a readable cycle through a collection of messages? The first time, it displays message 1, then message 2, etc... until it starts all over again?

Relatedly, how do I make the text display on screen? I read in several tutorials that just deleting the "art" field would accomplish this, but I find that if art is missing, the readable doesn't frob. And if art is present but empty, then I get a black screen. Is there a step I'm missing?

Oops, I messed up and put this in the wrong thread! Could one of the mods move it to The Editor's Guild?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    1. Yes, with custom scripts. The subtitles in my upcoming campaign are done using the OnscreenText script from tnhScript. Every time you trigger the readable (by frobbing, or a button or whatever) it displays the next line in the book's .str file. You can even set a color for the text.

2. Generally the part about not having a Book > Art property is correct, however in your case it probably didn't work because there was still an instance of that property on an archetype that the object inherited from. If you create a Plaque instead of a book, you won't have that problem, and you can change its model to whatever you want it to look like. You will need to give it the OnscreenText script (after loading tnhScript) and also tick "Don't Inherit" so you don't also get the StdBook script.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not having any luck with this.

I loaded tnhScript, created a plaque and gave it OnscreenText in S->Scripts (also tried OnScreenText). Then added the .str filename under Book->Text. That didn't do it, so I tried some other stuff. added Script to the WorldAction field of EngineFeature->FrobInfo. No dice. What am I missing?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    First, confirm your .str file is formatted properly and in the right folder by seeing if it works with the Plaque right out of the box (before changing scripts or anything else).

Yes, it works if I use the StdBook script. Do I need to use a design note? I'm still pretty clueless how those work...

I'm puzzled by this: "The object only has the parameter page which is the page number that will be shown next." (http://dromed.whoopdedo.org/tnhscript/onscreentext)

Do I need to set this parameter myself? Or is this done automatically? If I need to do it myself: (1) how do I do this? and (2) how do I ensure that this parameter increments with each usage?

As I can see, you did everything right. Check typos. Maybe you have type something like OnScrewText by mistake. Some custom scripts resent and refuse to work if you don't call them correct.
    Check also if you mark Don't Inherite box in S > Scripts. It should be marked.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    The only Design Note parameter is the starting page, which I don't think is required if you just want it to start at 0, but just in case add the prop and set it to "page=0" (no quotes). If that doesn't help, look at the monolog and confirm that you are successfully loading tnhScript.

Thanks for your replies. I checked my monolog and confirmed that it loaded the script successfully. The don't inherit box is also checked. No idea where I'm going wrong!

Here's an image of the properties I'm trying to use; maybe there's an obvious problem:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2cu6yr3hcc...ntext.png?dl=0

I'm starting now from a fresh mission, so there can't be any confounding by other objects in my mission. Again, it works perfectly if I use StdBook. I've also tried with and with a design note, and with and without the FrobInfo line (and all permutations)

There must be something really obvious I'm missing...

Desperately dodgy geezer
    No, it was me missing something obvious, sorry. OnscreenText requires a TurnOn message to activate, but it's not getting that from the frobinfo, it's getting the FrobWorldEnd message instead. What you need to do is just remove from the plaque the Book > Text and frobinfo properties (you didn't need frobinfo anyway, it was the same as what it is inheriting from the Plaque archetype). Change the script on the plaque to TrigWorldFrob. Make a marker and add the OnscreenText script and the Book > Text prop to it, then ControlDevice link from the plaque to the marker. That should work fine, I just tested it.

Thanks! I'll try it out when I get home from work!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    You can do it without the extra object if you want to also use NVScript. If you have a lot of these in your mission I would advise it, but if this is just a one-off readable then it won't matter.

success! thank you! No way to change font size, is there? (I know--I'm greedy )

Desperately dodgy geezer
    With onscreen text, no, it's relative to the resolution the player is using. That is true of regular onscreen text (a plaque) as well as via tnhScript.
    Last edited by Yandros; 5th Sep 2017 at 21:14.

Ok, now I'm *very* confused. It works perfectly on one computer, but when I try on another computer it doesn't. Even if I take the exact files and folder structure from one computer, it doesn't work on the other. Both computers have all the necessary scripts installed.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Make doubly sure that tnhScript is in the root and the monolog says it's being loaded. Make sure the /books folder is in the right place and that your file is there. Test the file to see if it works on a standard gold plaque.

Check, check and check. Same version of tnhScript.osm is in the root on both computers, monolog says it loaded successfully, and it works if I use StdBook. Moreover, if I load it up in FM Select, it works. But not when I go into game mode from DromEd. Any thoughts?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Have you restarted Dromed since copying the .str file over?

Yes, indeed. Since it works in FM select, maybe I'll just not worry about it

Desperately dodgy geezer
    That makes no sense. Is this Dromed vs. Thief2.exe in the same folder or different folders?

Same folder. Yeah, I'm a DromEd noob, but this feels like it shouldn't happen.