TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earth Flat-lines

Earth Flat-lines

Guess what, my Droogies. The earth is flat and here's the billboard to prove it...

And here's the website for the group.

Yep. Apparently NASA and the Aliens and the Free masons and the Illuminati and the Reptilians have engaged a vast army of minions and goons to hide the truth! Of course there's nothing about that on that site in particular but this is pretty much the narrative being built online.

If you dare, type flat earth in the YouTube Search bar, then fetch a snack while the citations load.

The Flat Earth, it's not just a joke any more. They are spontaneously recruiting from every other conspiracy, fringe theist and anti-science community. The grand daddy of the latest iteration is Eric Dubay, vegan holocaust denier and guru to god knows how many drooling idiots incapable of the most basic math and science. It's a clearing house for crazy.

And it is growing. At least I think so. I hope it's just me immersing myself, manning the barricade, learning the enemy.

Has anyone else noticed this malignancy creeping into public life? Any "first Flat Earth Congressmen" elected in your area? And "Teach The Controversy" movements at your local school board?

EDIT: Sorry I didn't embed the video properly. Fixdit.

EDIT 2: I figured that the USA is getting crapped on quite enough at the moment so I changed the thread title to make this more of a ... global issue.

SWIDT?
    Last edited by Nicker; 19th Sep 2017 at 02:24. Reason: I screwed up.

The billboard image doesn't load because you merely entered the website's address as a source and not a full fledged image path.

Other than that I'm pretty sure this is mainly an American phenomenon and a result of decades of prosperity with no real incentive to invest into public education.

People believe that a dude walked on water and came back from the dead, a flat planet isn't that big a stretch.

Drugs will make people believe many things.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    The Flat Earth, it's not just a joke any more.
    Or it's become an awesome joke.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm with ZB on this one. I think Flat Earth started as one giant troll, and ended up succeeding far beyond anyone's expectations.

It's nothing to be concerned about. Most of the people who are falling for the Flat Earth BS were already crazy to begin with. They just have something new to focus their crazy on, and access to the internet allows them to broadcast their crazy to a far wider audience.

I hope you people are right and it's just noise. I find the fact that it's becoming a rallying point for everyone from the rapture folks to the Hitler was a nice guy crowd, rather disturbing.

And then we have those who believe in the Round Table.
    You can´t pack up more idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by bassoferrol View Post
    And then we have those who believe in the Round Table.
    I've been there. The pizza is overpriced, but good.

Moderator and Priest
    I still miss Godfather's Pizza.

GOD, Renz! REALLY?

I knew you were a Flat Earth Shill. Don't worry, NASA will get you, my pretty, and your little god too.

Moderator and Priest
    Just cuz pizza be flat don't make me think earth be too, brah!

Come on ya'll. Don't you know that the whole universe is donut shaped? Homer Simpson told us that. The Earth is actually hollow too. There is a sun is in the middle and the inhabitants living on the inner crust are super intelligent beings. I know this to be true because of that weird guy with the big hair on Ancient Aliens said it was true. Oh, and Big Foot is really Rosie O'Donnell running around nude in the forest after smoking some serious Kush.

I just know they screw up the NASA page with their bullshit. They are exactly like brain damaged individuals incapable of learning. No matter how many times you explain Foucaults pendulum and differing shadows at the same time five hundred miles apart and how Eratosthenes figured the circumference they are impervious to understanding. It doesn't stop well meaning folks from trying to post after post so maybe the learned have a bit of a block themselves.

These folks are not just ordinary stupid. They are some new resistant strain fueled by the movie The Matrix into thinking they are Neo out to save the world from education or "indoctrination" as they call it. They were incapable of understanding science in school and now seek to turn the tables by getting validation from those as ignorant as themselves. If they can trick others into belief founded on simplistic nonsense only the least capable of logic would buy then it makes them feel better about their own ignorance and inability to understand. Their gotchas are pathetic and their ability to deflect all reason legendary. It seems like a joke but I assure you it is not. These folks are case hardened stupid. Nothing breaks through the echo chamber of their idiocy. You want to laugh but in the end are left thinking the movie Idiocracy could indeed come to pass. Mankind CAN devolve into jibbering lunacy.

Moderator and Priest
    I think the universe is stupid, and the Earth is stupid too.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    I These folks are case hardened stupid. Nothing breaks through the echo chamber of their idiocy. You want to laugh but in the end are left thinking the movie Idiocracy could indeed come to pass. Mankind CAN devolve into jibbering lunacy.
    If I had to explain our current political/social climate, I'd say it's like the creepy people who used to write letters to Solider of Fortune and Hustler have managed to work their way out of the seedy underbelly they once inhabited, and are now screaming in everyone's faces.

They've always been around, Tocky. We're just now seeing them out in the sunlight.

But how many billboards can they buy working at Kentucky Fried or Burger King? How massive can their funding get when no semi literate will hire them? Then again we are electing folks like that so maybe pretty massive.

Moderator and Priest
    Collectively, they could do some damage. We shouldn't dismiss them outright.

But on that same note, I don't think they represent the bleak future of America. They're just a particularly loud bunch of crazies, enabled through modern conveniences.

Conveniences they could not have except for the science they deny.

Moderator and Priest
    Ironic, ain't it?

That billboard is an advertisement for the Flat Earth Oregon site which is strangely empty of flat Earth conspiracy theory content, just Eric Dubay's video embedded prominently on top and a meetup video on the bottom. Plus a shopping feature with no products.

There are a lot of people who earn a living from videos on YouTube. Based on the going rate, I figure Eric Dubay has made $13-14k just from that one video linked from flatearthoregon.com, most of that in the last month, and he has posted a pile of others, many of which have hundreds of thousands of views. He's making a living from this.

What I'd love to know is how many of his views are from real head nodding conspiracy believers and how many of his views are from people like us who have been click baited? I'd also love to know how many of these YouTube conspiracy video creators are driven by passionate belief versus how many are laughing all the way to the bank while they troll us.

I know it's easy to label people you disagree with as mentally ill but I really think many of these people may be suffering from Delusional Disorder.

Here's an interesting introduction from the CBC.

The interview with Dr. Alistair Munro is very telling on several points. It's impossible for a sufferer to self diagnose. Family and friends often enable the delusions. The condition is likely under diagnosed for these reasons.

Their inability to assess or trust objective evidence and their ability to concoct evidence in support of their delusion, is a marker of many flatties and other anti-science types.

Moderator and Priest
    I think it's incestuous herd mentality in action. You take a lot of people with similar mindsets, put them together in an environment where they can bounce off each other without outside interference, and BAM. Flat Earthers.

It's the ultimate end result of the paranoid mindset. A conspiracy so vast, it's been perpetrated for thousands of years by the highest echelons of a thousand governments, all to keep you from realizing the truth of the world you live on. And why are they doing this? You know, control and stuff. If they can convince you the world is round, they can convince you of ANYTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by [I
    The Matrix[/I]]
    Morpheus: I imagine that right now, you're feeling a bit like Alice. Hm? Tumbling down the rabbit hole?

Neo: You could say that.

Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?

Neo: No.

Morpheus: Why not?

Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

Morpheus: I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Neo: The Matrix.

Morpheus: Do you want to know…what it is?
    There's two kinds of conspiracy theorists:
    - People who believe in a single conspiracy or a small group of related ones
    - People who believe in a wide range of conspiracies

The latter seem to have something like a reverse disassociative disorder with a generalized compulsion to reject reality. Like the Matrix quote above.

Moderator and Priest
    Or maybe they're just dumb.

Or maybe the world really is flat, and we're the ones who are dumb. Really makes you think, don't it?