TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost Places Contest: Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb (September 15, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Which lights, which boxes?

I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Are you already inside the High Priests mausoleum, where the ouroboros is? Mounted on the wall in the hallway (across from the statue), there are two white marble boxes, with blue trim, one inside the other. (The two plaques are mounted on them). And each box contains a collection of lights arranged like a digital clock. The lights turn on and off, to correspond to the numbers you enter. For example, 5 lights light up in the shape of a two, if you enter "2".

Perhaps something went wrong with my submission. Did the plaques on the boxes work? They should ask questions about the boxes on which they are mounted.
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 16th Sep 2017 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by ciscokidd73 View Post
    Cant figure out the pillar puzzle.

I have written down what each pillar is and the order they are in. I am trying every combination according to the hint and nothing.
    Have you already opened the first two gates? If so, have you read the stone plaque on the floor, just past the 3rd gate? that should help you, given all the other stuff you've figured out

Quote Originally Posted by ciscokidd73 View Post
    Cant figure out the pillar puzzle.

I have written down what each pillar is and the order they are in. I am trying every combination according to the hint and nothing.
    I know exactly what you're doing. That's what I did first, but think about it a sec- which of the types of men would you want to be?

Good idea with the statue hints, had to use a few. Thanks for the cool mission!

Ugh by shear blind luck i finished.

I'm talking about the third gate. The other two were easy. But how to solve the third puzzle?

Oh! Ok very different story, there!

First things first: read the stone floor plaque just past the 3rd gate. You can read it once the first two gates are up.

After that, the trick is to notice that each lever represents one of the pillars in the great hall.

The statues in the assistance room can provide a little more help

Once you get through, my earlier explanation of the lights will [hopefully] make a lot of sense!! Haha

I already noticed that the pillars and levers are connected but wasn't able to find the right solution. I don't even know if I have to pull all levers or just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I already noticed that the pillars and levers are connected but wasn't able to find the right solution. I don't even know if I have to pull all levers or just a few.
    Hint 1:
    In the poem about the different kinds of men- which kinds of men would you want to be like?

Hint 2:
    Do you want to be wise and strong? Or greedy, weak, and pagan?

There's also a more explicit clue in the floor plaque just though the gate:

"If the treasure beyond,
    Your heart does desire,
    Strength and Wisdom, alone,
    Are what you require."

After that, it's just a matter of matching the levers to the virtues, based on the position of the pillars, and the poem about various virtues/vices..

Played this last night and I must say, this turned out to be a strong start for the competition! The self-referential 'meta' element and the creatively-executed puzzles (which actually made me use the notes page for once) are a breath of fresh air from all the usual thieving. I really like what you've done with this mission and I hope you go on to make bigger and better FMs in the future.

Thanks for this beautiful mission!

I really enjoyed the riddles in this mission. They were not too hard and there was an ingame option for spoilers in exchange for health points (luckily I didnīt needed help at all). Referring to the digit puzzle, I assume it means the number of light in the stairwell (the first room the player accesses after diving from the canalisation into the tombs - four of six torches are illuminated). However, I brute-forced my way through it.

Was my assumption correct for this case?

A very promising mission with great gameplay!
    Last edited by Thinking Robot; 17th Sep 2017 at 07:18.

Thanks! I really appreciate that

I'm already breaking ground on my next mission---it will most certainly be 'bigger,' but 'better' is in the eye of the beholder

RE: the digit puzzle, seems a lot of folks are having trouble with that one. Perhaps I could have worded things better.

The lights don't refer to torches or anything like that, but rather the digital number lines themselves. And the 'boxes' are just the blue-framed boxes mounted on the wall (the ones you're looking at/interacting with while you work on the puzzle.)

The fun of the digits puzzle is supposed to be the fact that the correct answer changes depending on the answer your provide. For example, in the smaller box, the question is "In this smaller box, how many lights are lit?" Suppose there was a 1 showing, made out of two lights. Right now, the answer to the question is 2, but as soon as you answer: 2, 2 is no longer correct. B/c now a 2 is showing, and a 2 is made up of 5 lights. They key is to give an answer that will be correct after the lights change to reflect your answer. (I.e., a 'self-referential' number.)

Same logic for the larger box. The tricky thing is answering both questions, simultaneously. Give it another go, Thinking Robot, if you like those sorts of puzzles

First post!

I loved this mission trefoilknot, because the challenge was pitched just right - I managed to solve it all on Expert without any hints (but with pen, paper and head-scratching) . The Hall of Projection reminded me of one of the recurring puzzles in the game "The Room".

One small issue that might be a bug - it's possible to drop the Codex once it's been picked up, which causes it to float in mid-air .

What a superb little mission

trefoilknot you have excelled, congratulations.

My only gripe but I didn't find any health potions (well maybe I'm too stupid to find them) and so couldn't access the 3rd clue due to having too little life

Thank you for a great couple of hours of pulling my hair out.
    Last edited by fortuni; 17th Sep 2017 at 16:13.

Thank you, all! So glad you enjoyed it! Covetous Carcass, welcome to the forums! Nice catch with the codex! I guess I didn't think about the possibility of setting it down

P.S. Fortuni, there is a health potion available if you're willing to be acrobatic
    Hint: In the cylindrical room with the giant statue, look up!
    Spoiler: Use the torch alcoves and gargoyles, to get up high enough to reach a rope arrow.

Ps. I found a slight oddity, not really bug, that you may wish to fix in any update.

If you mantle up onto the curved arched doorway inside the projection room, on the side that the lockbox is, the portcullis shuts, but then it reopens when you walk up to the portcullis so it's not a game breaker.

I have no clue what to do with gate 2, I go to the corresponding place with the buttons on the floor below and see nothing. What am I missing?

Take note of the tile colors. Do you recognize them?

The stone plaque in the room with the cracked floor might help!
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 17th Sep 2017 at 21:27.

Finished with 3140/3260 and you have hidden that last 120 very well, I tore apart the place but could not find it, found all the higher placed loot and goodies. Very nice mission for a first one, I'm not big on math puzzles, but powered through anyways. Sure would like to know where the last bit of loot is, hopefully ,eventually you will come out a loot list. Great job!

Cool mission, small but well done. I like me some puzzley-tombs and I'm proud to say I eventually solved everything without using any hints (Expert). I even stacked items to get up to the Reward place and eventually got all the way up there after not realizing I could just shoot the rope closer to the wall, like I do. Although I solved the last puzzle partly by accident and partly using an incorrect train of logic, but hey! I started pushing number buttons in the small box to see what would happen, and before I knew it I'd hit 4 and one of the gates opened. Then in the large box, I at first thought it was referring only to the two large-box light-digits, having seven segments each (14 total), so I entered 1/2 (seven lights illuminated) and then scratched my head wondering why that didn't work. Then I thought, "oh, he must be counting the big division line between them. So that's 15 lights total, not 14, so 2/3 is correct" (2/3 of 15 is 10 and 2/3 makes 10 lights illuminated). That worked, but then I decided to try seeing how the hints worked after the fact just for the heck of it, and that's how I learned I did it wrong. Ah well.

I thought the puzzles were just the right difficulty. They were challenging but very logical and never felt unfair (not everyone gets this right, so kudos). The environmental clues were subtle enough not to jump out right away, but discoverable if one has one's eyes open. The projection room solution was particularly awesome.

I guess going up and down those stairs all the time got a little tedious, but hey... thief's gotta get his exercise, or he'll end up like me. A great first mission. That's right, I'm a great first mission. And you don't wanna end up like that! Unless you're a farm!

...so, yeah, this is a great mission. I liked it a lot y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by rustmite View Post
    Sure would like to know where the last bit of loot is, hopefully ,eventually you will come out a loot list. Great job!
    I am pretty sure I can guess what you are missing.
    - small jar (20) : room with the 7 pillars. Shooting a rope arrow into the wooden pillar will give you a new perspective.
    - candle (50) and green pokal (50) : round room with a really giant statue in the middle. Look up very high to the wooden beams in the ceiling and figure out how to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    I guess going up and down those stairs all the time got a little tedious
    About that - I kept forgetting that the stairs become detached from the wall about halfway down - cue a plummeting thief, several times

I had a little problem with telling red and orange apart: is this because I'm not running HDMOD, or am I going colourblind?

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    I guess going up and down those stairs all the time got a little tedious
    Yeah. Another gripe of mine was the ambient used in this section. I don't think it's varied enough for good use here. It got on my nerves rather quickly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast