TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Lost Places Contest: Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb (September 15, 2017)

What an awesome mission! Especially loved the projection room! The puzzles were tricky, but not impossible. Can't remember the last time I had to use my notes this much.

Those stairs tho... kept making me dizzy!

MOAR PLZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Rat View Post
    An enjoyable little mission trefoilknot, well done.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FrogBeast23 View Post
    MOAR PLZ!
    Working on it But don't expect anything soon.

where do u hit the rope arrow to get into that chamber behind the gate? i cant touch the rope wherever i hit

Aim for the middle one of the three wooden beams above the floor. Where exactly you have to aim at on that beam, I didn't write down. I think it was somewhere along the rear half of the beam, but I am not sure anymore. So, save your game before shooting the arrow, then hit the beam, and after that go swimming to check out whether you have hit the right spot. If the rope does not go through the opening in the floor, try to find out where you have to aim for, then reload your saved game and try again.

If, however, the rope does extend through the hole in the floor, but you still can't grab it from inside the flooded room below, then something else is wrong here - and I don't know what that could be.

You should be able tell if the rope is in the right spot, from the hallway where you fired from. Just make sure it extends through the cracked floor.

Help with beams above statue

Loved this mission. Puzzles were interesting and fun.

I'd like to get above the statue in the big round room. I'm stumped how to do this. I'm guessing I have to combine hopping on the projecting gargoyles(?) with a rope arrow. If so, I also assume I need to start by getting on top of the torch enclosure to start hopping.

Is this correct? If so, how do I get on top of the torch enclosure? Someone mentioned stacking, but I hope this isn't the only way because I tried stacking everything I could find with no luck. I must admit I very rarely stack anything other than crates, so I consider myself a lame stacker.

Is there some other way to get up there? Thanks!

You're exactly right. You should be able to get on the torch enclosure without doing anything fancy. Just jump and mantle straight on, (but a little off center). If you're not having success with this, check to make sure newdark mantling is turned on.

Glad you enjoyed the mission!

Doh! new_mantle was commented out in cam_ext.cfg. Turned it back on and, voila, success! I don't remember turning this off, so it must have been gremlins ;-)

Thanks! Now on to find the last 25 loot...

Big thanks to YouTube channel cvl00101 for uploading a preview of my mission! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O10Wakt9no4

If you haven't seen this channel, I'd recommend checking it out! Lot's of FM previews https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdh...9AiSkiGDj2J8Tw
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 16th Dec 2017 at 17:57.

I was playing this FM today and I learned a very valuable lesson about what can go wrong if you have too high a framerate with the Dark Engine. I uncapped Thief 2 to 120 FPS and discovered that the pressure plate puzzles would only work a very small percentage of the time. I was driving myself crazy trying to figure out why they weren't working and now I know. So, boys n girls: be sure to cap your framerate to at most 100 FPS or else you will be sleeping with grief. Read the comments and warnings in the cam_ext.cfg! They're there for a reason.

What pressure plate puzzles are you referring to? I don't recall using any in this mission.

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    What pressure plate puzzles are you referring to? I don't recall using any in this mission.
    the tiles.

If you're referring to the tiles in the projection room, there's no pressure plate or other technical wizardry going on there (unless you count matrix algebra). It's just a perspective trick.

My guess is, if it isn't working for you, it's not a frame rate issue. Perhaps you're just off by a smidge (it's a little sensitive).

If you're referring to the tiles in the projection room, there's no pressure plate or other technical wizardry going on there (unless you count matrix algebra). It's just a perspective trick.

My guess is, if it isn't working for you, it's not a frame rate issue. Perhaps you're just off by a smidge (it's a little sensitive).
    No, it's definitely a framerate issue. Once I enabled the 100 FPS cap, I had zero problems dropping the bolder onto the tile and opening the gate in those first areas. Try uncapping your framerate and you'll see for yourself. 9 times out of 10, dropping the bolder onto the tile wouldn't open the gate at 120 FPS. The Dark Engine (New Engine?) is simply not designed to run at 120 FPS, and you can get wonky physics going on if you try to. The cam_ext.cfg even warns you about this. Gamebryo engine-based games (Skyrim, Oblivion Fallout 3, etc.) had a similar issue. If you didn't cap your framerate at 60 FPS, you experienced weird physics problems. Anyway, it's all sorted now. I'm playing within recommended parameters.

Ah, you're not playing my mission, "Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb." You're playing Kurhhan's "Forgotten Tomb." (My bad on the naming, I wasn't aware of Kurhhan's mission at the time!)

If you like puzzles, give mine a try when you're done with Kurhhan's

Ah, you're not playing my mission, "Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb." You're playing Kurhhan's "Forgotten Tomb." (My bad on the naming, I wasn't aware of Kurhhan's mission at the time!)

If you like puzzles, give mine a try when you're done with Kurhhan's
    Haha! Silly me. I was playing the wrong mission Thanks for pointing that out. No wonder you were confused about the pressure plates. I gather they're very similar in the sense that both are extremely puzzle-intensive. I was playing Zelda: BotW recently and enjoying the puzzle-elements in the shrines (mostly physics-based and extraordinarily unique in gaming AFAIK) and wanted to try something puzzle-oriented with Thief 2. Sure, I'll give your FM a go... assuming I don't tear bits of my brain out through my hair and my scalp playing this one

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345