TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: EDF! EDF!! EDF!!!

EDF! EDF!! EDF!!!

I got hyped about a video game announcement but since it's slated for 2018, it wouldn't fit in the 2017 hype thread.

Anyway; EDF! EDF! EDF!

This looks to be a completely new entry, with new monster and player character designs, ignoring the 3-ish timelines the series has had before. Hope it's got co-op and that it'll hit PC.
    Last edited by Jeshibu; 19th Sep 2017 at 08:56. Reason: EDF deserves its own thread. Was: 2018 HYPETHREAD

EDF! EDF!! EDF!!!

Thing What Kicks
    So, the eternal co-op acid test question:
    Do the EDF games have good shenanigans potential?

Chakat sex pillow
    Haha, Malf! The entire game is shenanigans! It's such a celebration of utter chaos and moment-to-moment ridiculousness that only a Japanese dev could think of making it, and then manage to get away with it.

Counter-question: are they real coop games or are they just games where several people play on the same side but in parallel? I like a bit of cooperation in my games, even if the best laid plans devolve into mass hysteria and people sobbing in the corners of the map.

Chakat sex pillow
    The missions don't force co-operation, but there's a certain amount of class interplay that makes it work: Wing Divers are glass cannons, for instance, that can flit in and out of a punch-up, so that becomes useful when they can fly through enemy force fields and disable shield generators so that the others can mop up the rest of the crowd. As the difficulty increases, joining forces can become a requirement if everyone intends on surviving until the end of each mission.

The Air Raider class especially thrives on team play, since about half he can do is only of use with teammates around. He can summon bigass vehicles which need other players to crew the guns, or deal out increased armor (take less damage), increased damage, or just straight up healing in the form of launchable pucks that stick to the landscape or players, or deployable posts with a bigger radius that other players would have to keep close to. There's also airstrikes and orbital lasers, but those can wipe out other players if you're not careful.
    Also, the reason wingdivers (the airborne class) has to get in and out of scrapes is that their weapons generally have a short max range. A ranger (the normal foot soldier) would have a sniper rifle with 3km range, and a wing diver would have one with 600m. 600m might seem like a lot, but the enemies are huge.

Since this turned exclusively to EDF discussion it's now an EDF thread. The game deserves one.

Speaking of the series, are any of the games before the fourth one worth checking out?

I've had a great time with EDF2017 on 360 and Vita (Vita is superior since it adds the wing diver class, 2017 vanilla only had rangers). I've got EDF2 as my go-to game on the Vita right now, and it's pretty much the same game as 2017 with different enemy types and guns. Haven't tried any of the other games yet.

Also if you come across EDF2025, that's the same game as EDF4. EDF4.1 adds some stuff but it's got EDF2025 as a base. This also makes it a sequel to EDF2017, in case you wanna get in on that sweet lore (like the aliens being called the Ravagers when all they've done is hover over earth at that point).

I've heard mostly bad things about Insect Armageddon, so I think you may want to skip that one.

Yeah, I see they have some weird naming schemes:

Earth Defence Force was called Monster Attack
    Earth Defence Force 2 was called Global Defence Force
    Earth Defence Force 3 was called Earth Defense Force 2017
    Earth Defence Force 4 was called Earth Defense Force 2025

Alright, so apparently Yukes is developing Iron Rain, and EDF5 proper is a different game. I'm hyped for this one too, especially since it's got BAT FROGS.