TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: video mode goes lower when switching from miss20 to miss21

video mode goes lower when switching from miss20 to miss21

So when i finished the first mission and when it gets to load the next mission the video mode goes lower and textures get messd up, the only solution i found for this is to save in the second mission, exit thief 2 , restart thief 2, set video mode to my custom resolution, load my save game and then everything works well, for example if i open miss20 with dromed and then later i load miss21 dromed crashes, so the only way to load each mission without crashes is to load each mission only when restarting Dromed . Any chance to fix this issue?

This sort of thing sounds familiar; I vaguely recollect someone having a similar problem quite a while ago. I think it's caused by having way too many resources loaded (i.e. lots of large textures). The things from the first mission will only be unloaded from memory when you close the game.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    This sort of thing sounds familiar; I vaguely recollect someone having a similar problem quite a while ago. I think it's caused by having way too many resources loaded (i.e. lots of large textures). The things from the first mission will only be unloaded from memory when you close the game.
    Yes it's definitely that, i know that, the solution would be to reduce things and reduce textures resolution, the problem is how far should i eliminate things , and since im not sure i would prefer to find a alternative solution, if not then i'll have to warn players how to play the second mission...or i can way for the next newdark update to fix me this problem.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I wouldn't count on a new NewDark update to fix that. We never know if we'll ever get another one or what might be in them. I would either scale back your resource use or release them as separate missions (Part 1, Part 2 e.g.) so the players will have to play them in separate launches of T2.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I wouldn't count on a new NewDark update to fix that. We never know if we'll ever get another one or what might be in them. I would either scale back your resource use or release them as separate missions (Part 1, Part 2 e.g.) so the players will have to play them in separate launches of T2.
    Yes i thought on that, seems to be a good idea, do a version with both maps, and do other two separate versions , so that both missions can be launched in separate.

Best bet first would be to look at where you can optimise. Convert every texture to DDS format. There's really no reason that I'm aware of to use any other format these days. Use smaller textures wherever you can. There's no sense using a 1024x1024 texture for a plain wall when a 512x512 or even 256x256 will suffice and look virtually identical.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Best bet first would be to look at where you can optimise. Convert every texture to DDS format. There's really no reason that I'm aware of to use any other format these days. Use smaller textures wherever you can. There's no sense using a 1024x1024 texture for a plain wall when a 512x512 or even 256x256 will suffice and look virtually identical.
    yes i made an experience without any terrain textures, and the switching between missions went well without any problems, i will try to reduce most of the 1024x1024 textures to 512x512 resolution and see if that can help.