TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Route 91 Harvest Music Festival Shooting - Condolence Thread

Route 91 Harvest Music Festival Shooting - Condolence Thread

At least 50 dead and over 200 injured in a mass shooting in Las Vegas.

We offer our sincere condolences for anyone who has been made a victim of this dreadful crime. We hope that our TTG friends are safe and well.

Out of respect, please limit speculation and editorials. Start a parallel thread if you like.

UPDATE: CBC radio reports the injured at over 400 as of 6AM Pacific D Time.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Jesus.

My condolences .

Terrible

There are wild speculations about the shooters motives and about his political spectrum right now. I hope this sick guy burns in hell...

What a terrible tragedy. The number of dead and wounded keeps rising still.

Administrator
    awful

At last report, 58 dead and over 500 injured.

The worst mass shooting in US history.

What an evil, evil act.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    The worst mass shooting in US history.
    Are we ignoring all those mass shootings of Native Americans?

Are we ignoring the title of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    Are we ignoring the title of this thread?
    Oh, I didn't realise that someone had died and made you a moderator.

This is a discussion thread, like every other thread on here, and you made a comment that was not only blatantly untrue, but which also, wittingly or unwittingly, relegated Native Americans to the status of unperson. It's only out of respect for the occasion that I didn't properly go to town.

It's never an inappropriate time to scold people about 19th-century atrocities.

Moderator and Priest
    Let's keep the drama to a minimum, folks. This is already a loaded topic to begin with, no reason to expand upon what's already present.

Still Subjective
    Unreal. What a nutcase. Those poor people and their families.

Imma backup SD up in here though because well he's right.

Also - and I know lot's of people hate this, but - isn't it time the gun laws in the USA were changed? Really. And especially in Nevada.

Moderator and Priest
    He might be right, but it's incredibly off topic. This tragedy is so fresh, they're still updating the causality list. Using it to launch off on another whataboutist tirade about another group of people isn't exactly kosher.

And really honestly, if kindergartners getting killed in a school shooting won't effect change to our gun laws, nothing will. This is just another bad day in modern USA.

Still Subjective
    It's not off topic, it was correcting someone making a statement about this very topic.

Well, it might not be the worst mass shooting in the history of the US, but at least we can all agree that it's a pretty bad one, right? The worst one in living memory at least.

Moderator and Priest
    Qualify it as the worst shooting in recent history then. Move on from there.

I don't know what can be said about these things anymore. A tremendous tragedy, and it seems like the intervals between this particular brand of tremendous tragedy are getting shorter and shorter. What will be this nation's breaking point? Where will we get to before this shit stops?

Moderator and Priest
    In case you're all wondering why I'm very quickly becoming so bitter and cynical about our politics these days, here's another example from my Facebook wall. The names have been removed to protect the stupid from their own stupidity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PointlessPolitics.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	2407

Every time there's a mass shooting, a game starts, where people start guessing, hoping, depending on your politics, what race, nationality, and creed the suspect is.

Was it a Muslim? I bet it was another Muslim? Nuh uh! It was a white dude! They're an angry bunch of xenophobic bigots. It had to be a white dude. No way. Muslims hate us for our freedoms. They're killing us all the time, that so called "religion of peace".

Ah, shit. It was a white dude.

...BUT LOOK! I FOUND THIS THING ON THE INTERNET THAT HE'S A REGISTERED DEMOCRAT, AND RECENTLY CONVERTED TO ISLAM! SCORE ONE FOR US!

Holy shit. 58 dead? That's a new high score, guys! We can use this for YEARS! GLAD I VOTED FOR TRUMP!

On rare occasions, it's a black dude. That's when things get really fun. Can't wait until we roll a Jew!

I said what I said in my OP, hoping that people could simply express their grief and take the editorialisng elsewhere, or just give it a break.

I really hoped people could show some restraint but I guessed wrong.

How did we leap from me repeating something every newscast has observed about this shooting, to me dehumanising First Nations? If I was a known, serial racist on this forum, dog-whistling to the crypto white supremacists in our midst, the overreaction might be understandable. If what I said was deliberately misleading or could have used some context or represented an opportunity to revisit old crimes, fine. That could have been done without insult or presumption.

Certainly the sanctioned violence committed against First Nations in North America (and around the world) needs to be remembered. But there is a false equivalence between generations of policy driven genocide and a lone mad man, gunning down random citizens, in an act of solitary evil. If my half dozen words failed to capture the range of implications and nuance instantly obvious to more enlightened individuals, you are better people than me, even if you could have showed more class while not going to town on me.

Nevertheless, permit me to correct my dreadful affront... In the annals of modern gun violence, in the USA, the Harvest Music Festival Shooting represents the largest loss of life inflicted by a lone gunman.

Thank you for your patience.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    AND RECENTLY CONVERTED TO ISLAM!
    I don't know if you know this or not, since this is all developing so quickly, but just to be clear.

IS has claimed responsibility for the attack, and claimed that the gunman recently converted to Islam, though there's no evidence to back up either of those claims, just their say-so. FBI doesn't believe the attack was related to international terrorism.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-vegas/541746/

Moderator and Priest
    I know this, but it's not stopping the people scapegoating all over Facebook. They're looking for someone to blame, and would prefer to blame someone convenient to their politics.

A 64 year old white dude shoots up a country musical fest, I blame Bernie and/or Fox And Friends. In other words, who the fuck knows.

Many many condolences to the family and friends of all the dead and injured, a dreadful tragedy that unfortunately was just waiting to happen. I am a regular visitor to the USA and am always taken aback at the number of guns I see and the attitude that the 2nd amendment generates. America is now in the throes of gun control debate.... Problem is the genie is out of the bottle, even if the majority want control how on earth could it be achieved?