TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: blocky shadows

blocky shadows

How to smoothen shadows? I am on ND 1.25 and I am using 32-bit lightmaps. I am very new to DromEd.

Hey,
    Are you sure you have lit it with the 32-bit lightmaps? Cause it looks very 16-ish... Is there a noticeable difference between the two modes for you?

Another thing you can try is to lower the scale of textures. Resolution of lightmaps depends on the size of the main texture. So this will make the detail finer. (but won't address the strange gradient issue, which normally should be solved using the 32-bit lightmaps).

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    Hey,
    Are you sure you have lit it with the 32-bit lightmaps? Cause it looks very 16-ish... Is there a noticeable difference between the two modes for you?

Another thing you can try is to lower the scale of textures. Resolution of lightmaps depends on the size of the main texture. So this will make the detail finer. (but won't address the strange gradient issue, which normally should be solved using the 32-bit lightmaps).

Alright, I restarted DromEd and it's better now, but not that much. I set ambient 0 0 0 and I still get blocky shadows.

The same thing happens with other ambient settings, it's just less noticeable, since it's brighter.

Well, first of all - don't forget this is an old engine, so keep your expectations reasonable...
    Having said that - what is the scale of these textures? 16 or 15? It does look a bit blocky alright. (but it may be my memory failing).
    If you could go for the scale 14 then you should be happy with the resolution, but it means you have to use high res textures or the tiling will be super visible.

I heard there was a command in a config file or something to increase the light maps resolution x2 globally, but not sure where it needs to be set. And actually I couldn't find it in the documentation, so somebody may correct me on this one.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguybane View Post
    Alright, I restarted DromEd and it's better now, but not that much. I set ambient 0 0 0 and I still get blocky shadows.
    Umm... have you actually played Thief before? Because that's what the shadows look like. Try playing with the shadow softness options in the build dialog.

That being said, the command to set lightmap resolution is set_lighting_scale:
    set_lighting_scale : Set lighting resolution scale (2 for double res, -2 for half)

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Umm... have you actually played Thief before? Because that's what the shadows look like. Try playing with the shadow softness options in the build dialog.

That being said, the command to set lightmap resolution is set_lighting_scale:
    I see... yeah, I've been playing Thief for years and I know that it has blocky shadows by default but I have never touched DromEd before, so I wasn't sure if it's something that can be fixed or improved, especially with NewDark. I am not aware of this engine's limitations at all

Shadow softness helped a bit, thanks.
    Last edited by bigguybane; 3rd Oct 2017 at 05:11.