TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Don't come around here no more

Don't come around here no more

Tom Petty, Rock Iconoclast Who Led the Heartbreakers, Dead at 66

He was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home Sunday night, according to TMZ, and rushed to the hospital and placed on life support. EMTs were able to find a pulse when they found him, but TMZ reported that the hospital found no brain activity when he arrived. A decision was made to pull life support. CBS confirmed Petty's death. He was 66.
    This year is providing no end of bad news. R.I.P.

His daughter just announced he is still alive but was taken off of life support.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/b...ac-arrest.html

Apparently he is still with us, for now.

I had my hopes up for a while this morning, because I was silly and mistakenly thought that "taken off of life support" means that Petty is recovering, but oh man, the bad news came only moments later. He's gone now.

I'm not usually into American kind of rock music, but Tom Petty (& The Heartbreakers) was awesome. I was a huge fan around 10-15 years ago when I bought all the albums, and even if I must admit that my interest in his newer stuff slowly faded over the years, some of those old albums will always stay among my favourites. I think it's time to give those albums another listen...

So long Tom, thanks for all the music.

Been a fan since Damn the Torpedoes. I always sing along with Breakdown and American Girl when it comes on the radio. This was too soon. He should have had another ten years. What the hell God? You are fucking up dude. He smoked. He toked. He still drank a bit but damn. Too soon. 66? Fuck. That ain't right. I guess we choose what kills us. How boring and long do you want your life to be but damn. Damn. Almost makes me want to go back to smoking as a fuck you. But I have grand kids and I haven't warped them enough yet.

I'll miss Tom. I'll always remember my daughter and her cousin at eight years old holding hands and jumping on the trampoline singing "Last Dance with Mary Jane" and going G version with "oh my my oh HECK yes, you got to put on that party dress". Damn.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    I'll always remember my daughter and her cousin at eight years old holding hands and jumping on the trampoline singing "Last Dance with Mary Jane" and going G version with "oh my my oh HECK yes, you got to put on that party dress". Damn.
    So let me get to the point, and roll another nnneeerrrrjjjj...

It's weird to think about. Love him or hate him, Tom Petty has always been around. I remember hearing him all the time in the 80's, I remember doing the same in the 90's. He's been lurking around ever since. But now, he's gone.