TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Is it possible to use Thief 2 HD Mod textures in DromEd

Is it possible to use Thief 2 HD Mod textures in DromEd

Is it? If not, can you tell me where can I download higher resolution textures that are fit for DromEd? I'd like to create a fanmission located in an abandoned, very ruined house and I don't really know where to find good textures for it.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Yes, of course. Just give credits.

ZylonBane
    You really shouldn't use high-resolution textures directly in DromEd (especially Gecko's stupidly high-res ones), as that will massively inflate the MIS file size (due to the increased lightmap resolution). Better to stick with standard-res textures and then substitute in the high-res assets at runtime via MTLs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    You really shouldn't use high-resolution textures directly in DromEd (especially Gecko's stupidly high-res ones), as that will massively inflate the MIS file size (due to the increased lightmap resolution). Better to stick with standard-res textures and then substitute in the high-res assets at runtime via MTLs.
    That will decrease the quality of light maps. Not to mention that in another thread bigguybane was asking how to increase the resolution...

ZylonBane
    No it won't "decrease" the resolution of lightmaps, it will leave them at the same resolution they've always been.

So, what makes the MIS inflated then if not higher resolution of lightmaps?

ZylonBane
    Are you drunk?

Are you drunk?
    No, just trying to understand you.

This is my thinking:

1) Higher res textures in Dromed = lower texture size on brushes ( e.g. 14 - 15 ) = bigger lightmap size = Bigger file size = higher detail (sharper shadows) <--- better

2) Lower res textures in Dromed = higher textures size on brushes ( 16 ) = lower lightmap size = Lower file size = lower detail (blurred shadows) <--- worse

The first option has better quality shadows.
    File size is not a concern for me these days.

sadly i had to reduce many textures i had with high resolution in order to have a switching between missions without problems, i´ve notice that now when resizing the textures in brushes from ( example: from 15 to 16) the mission weight becomes more lower and lower. But i didn't know shadows could get worst with lower resolution textures. Also performance is faster now.
    Last edited by Cardia; 6th Oct 2017 at 02:49.

Yep, I've heard about people having problems due to too high-res light maps - but that's another problem.
    Perhaps a clever (but rather cumbersome) solution would be to have the most common textures in two sizes. Smaller size (in Dromed, replaced later with high-res using material definition) used on unlit faces of the brush. And high-res textures used in Dromed on shadow critical brush faces - basically wherever light cast shadows. It could save you a lot of light-map size if you had large unlit caves or dungeons etc...
    But again - I wouldn't do it just to save on the FM's zip file size, but rather to work around the light-maps size limit.