TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: name one good/bad element to a fan mission

Fire it up in DromEd and see if it was designed this way. Does the AI in question have some custom behavior?

Absent that, I don't think this could be considered a design choice by the author.

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    I've noticed this before, too. Is this something the FM author chooses? Or is it just a quirk of the engine?
    I can see the scenario where patrolling AI go to where another AI once was... The author is simulating the suspicions of the patrolling AI. The AI supposedly act suspicious because the AI you took out is missing. The author would have to do something to make a AI break away from the route and perform a search motion while the AI is not actually alerted.

There was a mission that was released not long ago which used the tactic where the patrolling AI went to an anticipated location and performed a search motion. The first time I was at the location and the second time I wasn't, and it doesn't seem natural for a guard to "search" the same spot every time he/she passes by.

What I really like in FMs is when they focus more on the thief-gameplay aspect of the game. Well build architecture and high res textures/models are nice and all, but I value the original gameplay aspect far more. This means you can progress through (most) parts of the FM freely without many restrictions. There are multiple ways to get to your destination and avoid guarded places. This includes that you can avoid all guards in a sneaky playstyle (ghost the FM) and find secret places and/or shortcuts.
    Also, an elaborate guard patrol system is always welcome (just like in all OMs), because then you need to be careful in sneaking past them. In my opinion, there is nothing more satisfying if you need to rely on hearing the guards and predict their movement instead of seeing were they are because of lazy guard patrols.

What I dislike is when the author doesn't integrate the AI into the FM very well. I sometimes have the feeling in an otherwise well-made map, the author rushed the AI in the end to just complete the mission.
    Either all AIs walk from place A to B or just stand still (even the non-guards). Guards often patrol a tiny corridor in a big mansion or guard a spot that doesn't even secure the area from a logical viewpoint. (and doesn't you all know the kitchen servant that walks in circles in the kitchen All. The. Time? )
    On the one hand, it feels unbelievable for a guard/servant to always walk back and forth a small corridor and on the other hand it is far too easy to avoid them or far too tedious to sneak past them all the time when you want to ghost the mission.
    I like when they also look around, do some animations or just walk complex routes instead of just always walk in lines/circles. ^^

Keeper of FMs

Good - I love an interesting story with well-written, supporting read-ables, especially the humorous ones.

Bad - It's annoying when places that look shadowy aren't.

Keeper of FMs

Quote Originally Posted by DarkThief Darek View Post
    What I really like in FMs is when they focus more on the thief-gameplay aspect of the game. Well build architecture and high res textures/models are nice and all, but I value the original gameplay aspect far more. This means you can progress through (most) parts of the FM freely without many restrictions. There are multiple ways to get to your destination and avoid guarded places. This includes that you can avoid all guards in a sneaky playstyle (ghost the FM) and find secret places and/or shortcuts.
    I agree. Non-linear game play is sadly lacking in modern games. I don't want to hurry up and "beat" the game. I want to savor & explore.

+1 DarkThief Darek.

I like missions that are ghostable, and allow me to achieve main goals without having to go into BJ-frenzy. Especially when I play with my kids on my lap or behind me.

I dislike missions that are made intentionally "tricky" for the BJ-loving lot, becoming thus impossible (or hard to progree through) for ghosters. Unlike other taffers here, who start with "BJ run" to map all items and loot and secrets before delving into (supreme) ghosting, I always try to sneak undetected even through unknown missions. There are plenty of them that I started - and abandoned when they stopped being fun to play in ghost mode.

A good story with fresh ideas, exciting texts, smart AIs and references to the original story (like actually in DCE).

A too modern ambient, a story which does not follow the original game's philosophy or/and a too bright map without shadows to hide in.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Wish there was a mission with a requirement to blackjack every last soul. I love the Blackjack, as you can well tell

Quote Originally Posted by rustmite View Post
    Wish there was a mission with a requirement to blackjack every last soul. I love the Blackjack, as you can well tell

shadowjack is the best for people who love to blackjack a.i.