TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 1 "Murder Most Foul"

Desperately dodgy geezer

Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 1 "Murder Most Foul"

Please post all questions and comments related to this mission in this thread, and not the main DCE thread.

Hey Yandros- sorry to hit you with the technical questions so soon, but when I start my objectives list is blank and the first thing I see is a big purple and blue box with a "0" in the center of it, which I'm assuming is suppose to be something much more dramatic (it looks like some kind of missing texture thing). The following cinematic works fine. I have all my scripts and haven't had any problems with other FMs...I DO still have enhanced objects, enhanced sky, and enhanced water activated, but Tafferpatcher installed those and I don't know how to uninstall them because I'm, as they say, dumb.

I'm using the latest version of New Darkloader to play. Also, the objectives list remains empty (although boxes appear) after I get the "New Objectives" notification after the initial cinematic.

Any advice?

EDIT: Here's what I see when I first start the mission:

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Sounds like a bad installation, it can't find the objectives or the texture used on that. Do you have any texture or enhancement packs installed? If so, disable them and try again. If not, try reinstalling.

I felt like it was probably an issue with the language related stuff, and it seems to be. I installed the FM with FMSel instead, and now I actually see the title card and the objectives are all showing up...but they aren't in English. Am I missing a way to select language? Is there a way to force it to go with the English stuff without breaking things?

EDIT: Oh my God, I'm so stupid. I downloaded the French version in the original thread. SORRY FOLKS, NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

In my defense, it's been a long day.
    Last edited by The Mike; 26th Oct 2017 at 00:15.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    LOL I'm sorry Mike, but glad you got it sorted out. We had to go with separate language versions due to differing numbers of Hammerite voice sets available.

On a actually-gameplay-related note:

I just got to the part with the haywire robot maid in the basement. HO-LEE shit. Exploring that area and hearing but not seeing her gave me an honest to God sense of dread. And then there was the bit at the dinner table...you guys are F'ed up man. I mean that in the best way possible.

Need Help.
    Where can i find the key to millers Workshop?

@Terra
    It's on Miller.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    @Terra Or if you mean how to get into his apartment, that key is in the City Watch station nearby. Makes sense since it is a crime scene.

@TheMike Mission accomplished.

Very Nice, the First Mission.

This Thing was very Scary, i didnt see it, it was behind me. My Heart!

Mission 2 Here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    On a actually-gameplay-related note:

I just got to the part with the haywire robot maid in the basement. HO-LEE shit. Exploring that area and hearing but not seeing her gave me an honest to God sense of dread. And then there was the bit at the dinner table...you guys are F'ed up man. I mean that in the best way possible.
    Also on that topic... a well-thought out and written origin story for the servants it seems and pretty freaky at that with the notes you find on how their programming goes weird with the reanimated corpse inserting its own thoughts into the code.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Glad you figured out our intent with the creepy bits in the notes, but there was no intent to have her be an origin story for the Mechanist servants.

I need some help in my late-mission loot clean up:

Is there a way to rob the jewelry store? I found a small key in that building, but it doesn't seem to go to anything. Also on the subject of keys- I found a metal key in the portrait studio, and also can't find a place to use that. There's a lockbox in the artist's bedroom that won't open.

This is already a classic, by the way.

EDIT: Nevermind on the metal key. I totally forgot about the door BELOW his studio.

FURTHER EDIT: Double nevermind. I figured out the jewelry store thing also because asking for help apparently gives me thieving super powers? Anyway, for anyone equally stuck, check his bookshelf upstairs.

Since I'm on a roll, I may as well ask how to get into the high-end clothing store across the street, in hopes that doing so will activate my spidey sense like it did with the last two questions...

FURTHER, FURTHER EDIT: Oh my God, posting DID activate my spidey sense. For anyone equally stuck: climb onto the roof of the bakery and look around.

Next time I have a question, I'm just gonna eat a snickers bar or something.
    Last edited by The Mike; 26th Oct 2017 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    I need some help in my late-mission loot clean up:

Is there a way to rob the jewelry store? I found a small key in that building, but it doesn't seem to go to anything. Also on the subject of keys- I found a metal key in the portrait studio, and also can't find a place to use that. There's a lockbox in the artist's bedroom that won't open.

This is already a classic, by the way.
    Look for a book switch in the jewelry store.

Regarding the footlocker in the artist's studio, the key is nearby. Examine the doorframes.

The clothing store can be accessed through its attic.
    Last edited by marbleman; 26th Oct 2017 at 12:49.

Is Farpoint Alley north of the locked gate somehow accessible?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    @TheMike re:loot hunting - complete lootlists should be made available within a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    Is Farpoint Alley north of the locked gate somehow accessible?
    Yes, but not until a later mission. Basically if the gate is down, don't bother. If you're a crafty climber you can probably get back there in mission 1, but there's nothing there other than spoiling yourself for later.

The easiest way I found into the clothing store:

Actually I just picked the lock of the front door of the clothing store..lol

Desperately dodgy geezer
    That only works on Normal and Hard, Stingm.
    Last edited by Yandros; 27th Oct 2017 at 09:36. Reason: Thanks for correcting me JonesCrusher

Absolutely loving the mission so far, but I have two questions:

I - Previous posts reveal how to rob the jeweller's display cabinets... but what about the large safe in his bedroom? The same key doesn't work on that one, and neither do the lockpicks.

II - How AM I supposed to get into The Trickster's Tail? It seems impossible to sneak past the bartender, and I'm pretty sure gas arrowing him isn't supposed to be the 'correct' solution. Am I supposed to enter the building another way? If so, how? I guess it's not from the north, since I can't get past the locked gate (the one where you get a conversation between a Mechanist and a guard), and I'm guessing I'll get to explore that area in a later mission.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    @Arrowgrab:

I - The key to the safe (which houses the actual items that the display fakes replace in the showroom) is in a secret hiding place downstairs.

II - Explore the lighting shop thoroughly, it's next door to the Tail. And you're correct, you need not try to bypass the gate in Farpoint Alley in this mission. When it's open later on, that's your cue.

Thanks very much!

I beat it, but I only got 1 of 5 secrets...reload! This gem seems too good to not find everything!

Any hints on the safe in the jeweler's attic?

Edit: I'm just like The Mike!

For anyone else looking for the key, check close to the alarm button behind the counter on the ground floor.

On Expert, I have completed all the main objectives and got the keystone bonus, but only 3 out of 5 secrets. From a nearby rooftop I think I can see a health potion on the walkway above the South Gate, but have been unable to find a way up there. Is that one of the secrets?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    No. Here's a complete list.

Description - Location
    Secret panel in ceiling leading to attic with some loot - Electrics building, bedroom, switch by top bunk on east wall
    Linda's attic (just entering it) - Accessed through either shuttered window across from bakery roof
    Sliding statue, reveals key to safe on top floor - In jewelry store lobby, switch is under counter
    Sliding armoire hiding a necklace - Linda's private area, first floor; switch above bookcase on first landing
    Panel in bookcase hiding sword (loot) - Clara's apartment, downstairs, bookshelf by doorway leading to staircase, trigger is book on top shelf