TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 1 "Murder Most Foul"

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    Just started this campaign. So enjoying exploring the various establishments. Astonishing so far!

One thing I noticed, when crossing the threshold from outdoors to indoors, the inside room's lighting suddenly goes from having a greyish haze to a regular indoor no-haze lighting. The change is very abrupt and breaks immersion ever so slightly, which is why I'm mentioning it. Is this on my end only or something others have seen?
    I noticed it, too. I think it's just a limitation of the engine.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    That's just the way fog works in the Dark engine.

I assumed so. I guess the alternative would be indoor fog, which would break immersion even more.

Having real trouble with the creep in the jewelry store...I open the hatch with the switch, climb the ladder and try to turn off the light but he spots me every time, I also try to get up the ladder and turn it off before he starts his patrol and flash bomb him but he still legs it to the damned alarm...doesn't help only having one working eye I guess and as the pain starts up I will have to stop playing for a couple of hours...this really is a classic already by the way and I'm enjoying it immensly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    You can use a noisemaker to lure her on the elevator then send her to third floor, then rope arrow down
    You can also trap her underneath the elevator platform. It doesn't kill her, but she can't get out.

For anyone wondering about the item on the walkway above the South Gate I mentioned in post #24, it is possible to get up there. A nearby window frame will take a rope arrow, and you can then jump onto the rampart.

I was taking down some comments while playing this.

- Not a prequel or sequel but a mid-quel. Interesting...
    - Use of thematic music is great for setting the atmosphere.
    - Kind of ironic you can't turn on the lights in the lamp room of all places!
    - Tried to shut that loud gramaphone off with some arrows but it didn't take...
    - Mea culpa for a bit of unconscious sexism, I hear a woman's voice in the other room and think "Oh thank goodness, no threat here. Just pull out my blackjack...", and then she walks in with a sword and makes mince meat of me! Haha, serves me right for underestimating her.
    - This is really well made for tension and release, with the music, visual storytelling, pacing of the action and quiet exploration. Like I love the unexpected run-ins (surprise assassins) & plot developments (the archelogy dig, which is kind of an old FM trope, Ominous Bequest et al, that's fun to see) that already hint about the larger story, but in a "huh, what's happening here?" way that's fun.

- And actually speaking of tropes from another FM, there were a few things that reminded me more than a little of my own FM, Patently Dangerous. And I don't even know if you (Yandros) ever played it... But mine also has a jerk inventor that's made a scientific breakthrough toying with recently dead corpses (in the original draft it actually went on to be about necromancy too, but I moved that part to unmade sequels), a murder in an apartment with a sign on the door that says "closed by the police for a murder investigation", and a character named Benson although that's more believable as a random coincidence. I was just thinking about my FM too because it's 8th birthday is coming up on Halloween. So it's kind of cool to see some of its themes replayed even if coincidentally.

- And the end game by the way is terrifying in a great way.

This is a great start. Looking forward to Mission 2!
    Last edited by demagogue; 29th Oct 2017 at 11:47.

Can someone point me to Miller's safe key on Easy?

I think it's in the basement, by his body, after you shock him.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    That's correct, although technically you are turning off the shock that's connected to him, which is why he slumps down afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    You can also trap her underneath the elevator platform. It doesn't kill her, but she can't get out.
    Yeah, but then you still have to deal with her going down.

Mission finished, lovely city, nice textures, very enjoyable gameplay , nice design, a very interesting story, the only thing i found weird was a guy walking in limp and when he saw me he ran without limping, other than that the mission is perfect, on to the second one now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I think it's in the basement, by his body, after you shock him.
    Thank you, Nightwalker. I was too busy avoiding "her" to see it fall.

I know what you mean! I've been in there lots of times and she still scares the daylights out of me!

Just finished this amazing mission!

9350 out of 9425 loot and 5/5 secrets. Found 1 bonus objective also. I'll go looking some more for the last piece(s) of loot I might have missed. Would be great to find it all without help.

Also found 3 slow-fall potions!
    Last edited by klatremus; 1st Nov 2017 at 00:37. Reason: Found last secret and more loot (almost there!)
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

I think there is a bug in hard difficulty level in the french version: the objectif says you need 7000 in loot but it gets ticked in game when you grab only 6000.

Man, I'm having the hardest time finding that last 75 loot. Been all over several times now, and thoroughly at that. Even crossed the north gate, but nothing there. Got 3 items valued at 75 each, a statue in attic crawlspace, two purses in apt 1 and 3. Any loose hints to what I might be missing? No direct spoilers please.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavis View Post
    I think there is a bug in hard difficulty level in the french version: the objectif says you need 7000 in loot but it gets ticked in game when you grab only 6000.
    That is a typo in the French version objectives, then. In the English version it says 6000 is the loot objective on Hard, and 7000 on Expert.

Seems like you are missing a golden hammer (75).
    Make your guess where it would make sense to look for it

Got it! Lol I had been up there three times searching already. Typical.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I believe that is also one of the secrets too, right?

No I found all the secrets already. Although I'm surprised you didn't count the potions in the chimney as a secret.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I'm sure at some point I had planned to.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    I need some help in my late-mission loot clean up:
    Is there a way to rob the jewelry store?
    EDIT: I figured out the jewelry store thing also because asking for help apparently gives me thieving super powers? Anyway, for anyone equally stuck, check his bookshelf upstairs.
    I need some of TheMike's super powers, I can't figure out how to get into [the jewelry store] building at all. It's the last thing before I finish this mission.
    EDIT: Thanks klatremus, it is entirely pickable
    Last edited by MrMunkeepants; 7th Nov 2017 at 20:34.

If you're talking about the jewelry store, I thought the entrance was pickable. If you mean the clothing store, you need to look for an entrance via the roof to the south. That's the only store that's locked and unpickable on expert, I think.

Outstanding

Extremely well designed, carefully thought out mission. Very fun to play.
    I would expect nothing less from Yandros (and company), of course.

The creature and how she is used is an exceptionally brilliant bit of work. The atmosphere down there with her is truly frightening.

Overall, a professional piece of work.

If the rest of the missions are at the same level as this one, the campaign will be one of the great milestone's in Thief's long history.