TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 8 "The Ritual"

Desperately dodgy geezer
    @Blackmalkin, I mean no offense here, but have you played the original T2 missions? The No-KO cops were used in them as well. I'm a bit surprised you had never encountered them before.

Was I not expected to intercept and kill Jill, lady thief? the loot bag she is carrying cannot be picked up.

Something odd happened when I messed up the ritual: I died, but then the objective screen showed an objective I had not gotten (and never did get): retrieve Julia's writing set from her room. Is that a higher-difficulty objective I didn't get because I'm on normal?
    also, after the ritual: Garrett didn't get the payment from Fairweather's room!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    1. I didn't think you could kill Jill, but at any rate her loot bag has no value and cannot be taken.

2. That is a leftover goal that was removed, I have no idea how it could have been made visible, but given the age of these missions anything is possible.

3. Why didn't you go get it once you realized that?

Playing on hard and would appreciate some help finiding the Dragonsnap Waterweed.

Thanks in advance.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I can't check now, but I think it's locked in the cabinet upstairs, and the key is downstairs at the desk with the moneybox.

No, not there. One of the other papers was in that cupboard, I also found one lying on the floor by the crates under the stairs, but no Dragonsnap.

Are there any tiny levers or switches in the Quill hiding a secret compartment?
    Last edited by fortuni; 9th Nov 2017 at 15:01.

@ Yandros

I have just checked Dromed, and when playing on hard, the WaterweedPaper HE (obj 1485) is in the cupboard as you said, but it is not frobbable, although I can see it on the bottom shelf, so I can't finish this mission on hard.

You may wish to correct this in any future update.

In the meantime can anyone let me have a save, on any difficulty, after having collected all the precious item in this mission so I can go and enjoy the ritual. Thanks in advance.

Upload your save and it may get modified to allow you to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Upload your save and it may get modified to allow you to continue.
    quicksave

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I just loaded up mission 8 in Dromed on Hard and the waterweed parchment is frobbable, so I don't know what happened for you. I'll get your save back to you shortly.

EDIT:
    This is user error. You were standing in front of the right door when you frobbed it open, so it stayed closed and is now preventing you from frobbing the paper. Just close the left door again, and this time stand clear when you open them and they will both open.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    This is user error. You were standing in front of the right door when you frobbed it open, so it stayed closed and is now preventing you from frobbing the paper. Just close the left door again, and this time stand clear when you open them and they will both open.
    OMG I feel so stupid, I really didn't think it was possible that you would have released this mission with such a glaring bug, but worse things have happened in the past, so there was a possiblity.

I will now go and hang my head in shame and repeat 1000 times 'I must stop posting idiotic posts'

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    @Blackmalkin, I mean no offense here, but have you played the original T2 missions? The No-KO cops were used in them as well. I'm a bit surprised you had never encountered them before.
    I only remember Cavador's bodyguard. Some other mechanists as well, I think, but they looked differently. Cops all have helmets, so it seems strange that only some of them actually protect their heads.
    But the part that really surprised me is that they can be killed with a blackjack.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    There are four or five other readables giving hints about the flesh stone. It's not named in these readables, but one book or letter tells the player exactly where the stone is, and leaves no doubt that it is one of the keystones. Others do at least hint at where the player should look for more information.
    I should have been more specific. What I really meant, is whether they are any clues in the Hammer chapel, which is the obvious place to start looking. In other words, is there a way to complete the mission without random exploration. My expectation while playing was that I'm supposed find a note somewhere in the chapel that would fail the objective and initiate a new set of missions, much like it was with the talismans in The Dark Project (the only thing that made me doubt that was the mission title).

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    I think I did not find any readable that gave hints to the locations of all the keystones, but there is one which contains a dead giveaway on the spirit keystone, as well as mentioning which local group got another one.
    I think that's the note that I mentioned. My problem was that I couldn't find it to read it again, having to rely on memory. If I remember correctly the group mentioned was the Keepers, which was was one of the reasons I thought it's an objective for a separate mission, as I had no knowledge of any Keepers in the neighbourhood.
    The flesh keystone was the first I've found, but that's only because I couldn't get through that damned bookstore window and decided to relieve my frustration on the mechanists next door (or rather "next window", which I found to be much more accomodating ).

I've reached the point in the ritual where I have to burn the scrolls in the brazier but I can't burn them. Using a scroll on the brazier doesn't do anything, nor does the brazier highlight as inter-actable when aiming at it. Is this a bug are am I doing something wrong?

You have to drop them using the "drop item" button.

@marbleman

Ohhhhhhh. I would expect it to be a "use" interaction like everything else in Thief 2 and dropping in the context of this particular game seems counterintuitive, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmalkin View Post
    What I really meant, is whether they are any clues in the Hammer chapel, which is the obvious place to start looking. In other words, is there a way to complete the mission without random exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein
    I think I did not find any readable that gave hints to the locations of all the keystones, but there is one [...] mentioning which local group got another one.
    I think that's the note that I mentioned. My problem was that I couldn't find it to read it again, having to rely on memory. If I remember correctly the group mentioned was the Keepers, which was was one of the reasons I thought it's an objective for a separate mission, as I had no knowledge of any Keepers in the neighbourhood.
    Well, the problem with that note is that it's in a mission before this one. You can find it upstairs in Thaddeus' house in the mission where Fairbanks hires Garrett for that resurrection business. I have not seen it afterwards and do not think you can read it again later on. Furthermore, I don't remember having got any hint on where I should find the Keepers in "The Ritual".

Something similar is the case with the scrap of paper with that phrase on it: The most detailed hint on where to find that paper is several missions before this one. It's Miller's diary in the first mission. "The Ritual" only has one less direct hint on the location of that paper (and that one unfortunately has not been translated from English yet), namely, the Golem book in the Mechanist library.

I don't think that remembering books' contents after several missions does work so well for some players. Maybe it would have been better to keep that for expert difficulty level only, and have some more hints in the missions where you need them on easier levels.

Hello there and thanks for this awesome campaign

I think however I might be having a minor issue with this mission: the female zombie wandering the streets and the guards seem to completely ignore each other, while I suppose they probably should attack each other (?). When she sees me, she flees.

Does it mean there is something wrong with my game, or is it by design?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    She's not a zombie, she's a homeless person who moans like a zombie. It's by design, just to add a little color.

OK then