TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 9 "The Wailing Keep"

Desperately dodgy geezer

Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 9 "The Wailing Keep"

Please post all questions and comments related to this mission in this thread, and not the main DCE thread.

Hmm, i relly love this challenge, but i need a hint.
    how i get to mathien, i put all towers down for the force field.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    The portcullis should beopen now. Go inside.

On a side note, I can smash the cathedral doors with the sword in order to open it, but the objective won't check off (bad idea, don't do it). I can see how it's supposed to work.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Unna, that bug was reported and I fixed it! It must have somehow gotten lost in moving files around.

Quote Originally Posted by -Terra- View Post
    Hmm, i relly love this challenge, but i need a hint.
    how i get to mathien, i put all towers down for the force field.
    The double levers that have to be pulled have a ghost randomly appear pull one of the levers. The trick is to be in a lever room on the other side and pull it after a ghost appears on the other side and pulls that lever.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    There are windows on the sides of those rooms where you can see him in the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    There are windows on the sides of those rooms...
    I have always used lever sound as the cue.

Having played it through a second time, one of the things that bothers me (story related)...

It says that everything Mathien ever did when he existed would be undone but it seems like this would have far further reaching implications than just what happened after you resurrected Julia. He apparently tampered with the book, among other things. So the entire flow of events would possibly have been a bit different with Julia still dying perhaps but then maybe Garrett would not have been involved in anything at all since part of how these events were kicked off involved for example the dead man, Miller who may not have died at all if he didn't use that spell from the tampered-with book? Am I missing something here? Am I being overly autistic about this? Does it matter?

Where should I read the spell to eliminate him? The power source comes out of the face on the wall but is quite high to reach it... standing on the bridge behind him and using the scroll on him and around him has no effect

Desperately dodgy geezer
    @nightchild: The power source is feeding the energy stream that is coming out of the face... it's behind that wall... you need to figure out how to get there, and it doesn't require you to confront him or the zombies of Robert and Julia.

MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW
    @GUFF: Mathien's tampering with the spell had nothing to do with Miller's death; Miller was killed by Ellinsworth because he wouldn't take less than the full amount for the formula. It also had nothing to do with Julia's accidental death during the duel. His erasure from the time stream that the player winds up in surely had other effects, but none that relate directly to the story or the ritual, or Robert and Julia, other than that Thaddeus no longer has any memory that he ever existed (which is not presented directly in any way to the player).

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    @nightchild: The power source is feeding the energy stream that is coming out of the face... it's behind that wall... you need to figure out how to get there, and it doesn't require you to confront him or the zombies of Robert and Julia.
    ok.... let's find this behind then!

Finished!! Thank you again Yandros & Co for this great campaign!!! And I loved the ending too!! such a realistic contemporary environment! I hope is in your to do list for a new mission
    Last edited by nightchild; 30th Oct 2017 at 17:15.

I am astonished about these amazing custom AI´s! They are so scary!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Many of their sounds were taken from the Halo game series, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by GUFF View Post
    The double levers that have to be pulled have a ghost randomly appear pull one of the levers. The trick is to be in a lever room on the other side and pull it after a ghost appears on the other side and pulls that lever.
    I haven't seen this happen and there is one wandering around that doesn't walk to them and pull them. So I'm stuck.

I'm not sure what to do about the 3-level magic elevator with the broken button... it doesn't frob so it can't be taken.
    Last edited by chischis; 1st Nov 2017 at 09:13.

Quote Originally Posted by chischis View Post
    I haven't seen this happen and there is one wandering around that doesn't walk to them and pull them. So I'm stuck.

I'm not sure what to do about the 3-level magic elevator with the broken button... it doesn't frob so it can't be taken.
    You are not at the final part of the mission yet if this isn't happening. You are at a part with the magic elevator missing a button--you can rope arrow up to the floor where the elevator would have taken you, were it not broken. You need to find a scroll up there and remember what Clara told you. The "ghosts" you see now are elementals.
    Last edited by GUFF; 1st Nov 2017 at 09:34.

Quote Originally Posted by GUFF View Post
    You are not at the final part of the mission yet if this isn't happening. You are at a part with the magic elevator missing a button--you can rope arrow up to the floor where the elevator would have taken you, were it not broken. You need to find a scroll up there and remember what Clara told you. The "ghosts" you see now are elementals.
    Thanks Guff. I'm very rusty. :P Campaign complete.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Some of the "ghosts" in this mission are harmless, by the way (other than their light illuminating you to enemies). The ones which appear for 10-15 seconds at a time and then disappear, and look like large bluish-white wisps, are the ghosts of long-dead Drymians and completely ignore you.

Silly question: can the yellow ghosts be killed or knocked out? I have been trying to avoid them and all other "beasts", but I just cannot evade them well enough. I have tried using the "wand" and the sword, but neither connects with any form or body. I just get slaughtered. Maybe I am just using the wand incorrectly? Thanks. Oh yeah, playing on expert if that matters.

Edit: OK, I've figured out that the wand will work, but its aim is pretty poor. It also attracts all the beasts en masse. I am having a lot of trouble sneaking around. No matter where I go, one of those buggers "sees" me and attacks. Oh well. I guess I have to ghost this one very carefully and save every 10 seconds
    Last edited by bjack; 2nd Nov 2017 at 19:38.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    As you have learned, the wand is effective against the small enemies (which I call "Flood" because their sounds are taken from the flood creatures in Halo), it will take them out in 2-3 hits. BUT, it's hard to aim, and it attracts attention. Along with the limited charges, that was all by design to make ghosting them the better option. The five large elemental bosses are invincible to the wand. If you learn the castle layout and also the patrol routes, you can make it through ghosting, although it will be a challenge, and yes I would recommend saving often.

Well thanks for the info Yandros. I have enjoyed this set of missions and know I am near the end of it. This #9 will be a difficult one. I guess I should just consider the game play to be that there are many fast moving guards with full helmets that cannot be knocked out... If I think of it that way, I may have a chance.

Edit: OK, I started #9 again on normal and was able to complete it. Good mission overall and glad to see it was completed after so many years. The credits run long because of the many people involved. A lot of work. Thanks for the fun.
    Last edited by bjack; 3rd Nov 2017 at 20:16.

So, how do you use the staff actually? I haven't been able to hit even single once.

The castle itself however is extremely atmospheric!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    You just equip the blackjack and swing it, or it will also fire if you block with it. Or were you just saying it's hard to aim?

Swinging doesn't do anything. But I didn't know that it can fire while blocking. Thanks for the info - I will try that later. Hopefully I can use it against zombie keepers?

BTW. this is probably the darkest mission I've ever played. Looks great, but I don't know what kind of nightmares I'm just going to have now...

going round in circles...can someone just give me a hint where exactly to get in the castle ...ie is it near the water monster,fire monster,air monster sections?...I have been all round the outside towers and levels too but just cant find the way to go next..

JonesCrusher, I played the whole mission on expert, but had to downgrade to normal to finish it. I too ran around and hid, only to be killed over and over again, until I replayed on a lower level. I cannot speak for anything but the normal level, but once you walk into the inner keep area, turn left and stay in the shadows. An opening is to your left. You need to pass that anyway to meet with someone else. Stay in the shadows. Even on the wimpy normal level, this was a challenge.