TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 9 "The Wailing Keep"

@JonesCrusher - a bit more detailed hint: follow the footprints and blood stains. There's more than one, so track the ones to the left, after you enter through the first gate. You'll find more information how to get the gate opened there.

Another great mission, wonderful tension and soaking in atmosphere. Rip Clara.

The only issue is that everything goes swimmingly right up until the end. After Robert and Julia are reunited and Thaddeus tells Garrett to stop being a thief (sure thing, bub), the screen fades to black but the mission doesn't actually end. I'm just left in total blackness, able to move around and even swing my sword and fire arrows. I can't access the final mission because of this.

There are two objectives unchecked when the screen fades:
    - Dispel the Drymian power source
    - Return to the camp

However, I had to complete the first in order to be returned to the ritual chamber, and the other is impossible since I'm, well, in the ritual chamber. Part of me says these unchecked objectives are my issue but I don't see how I can resolve this.

I assume I made some mistake since I'm not very technically minded, but I've had no issues whatsoever so far, have NewDark v1.25 and have no upgrade or enhancement packs whatsoever. If anyone can give me some clue as to how I can fix this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    PinkDot: If swinging the staff does nothing, it's almost certain that you are not on the required v1.25 of NewDark.

Cfrock: Same for you, if the objectives don't change when you go through the wormhole, it's probably because you're not on 1.25.

Yandros - thanks! Indeed I had an incomplete installation. (I didn't want to override my config files, so copied THief2.exe only). Now it works!
    BTW. I failed on the double lever and a ghost trick, because... I killed the ghost! Both of them (or maybe that's one and the same?). Luckily I had a recent save.

Yandros: Turns out I didn't have 1.25 installed properly. Thanks for the help, just finished the campaign properly. Fantastic work.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    PinkDot - How did you kill the ghost? There is only one and he should be invincible and also should ignore and be ignored by everyone.

Yandros - I thought that he was kind of protecting the place by closing the gate when I try to open it, so I started shooting at him with my staff. (once I got it working!) He was reacting - playing a 'received a hit' animation and after a good few times he just stopped appearing.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Oh my, I should probably look into that for the eventual v1.1. Thanks for reporting it.

How to destroy towers?

I reached up to 4 towers that feed the shield, but I do not know how to destroy them
    Last edited by nickie; 6th Nov 2017 at 15:03. Reason: Added spoiler cover

Quote Originally Posted by doris4730 View Post
    I reached up to 4 towers that feed the shield, but I do not know how to destroy them
    Have you met Clara yet? If not - find her. If you did, you have to go and explore the castle inside and find something useful.

I can't play this mission, there's too many enemies around me, my magic wand has a limited number of bolts and some of these creatures are not affected by my magic wand, i feel always lost with the fog around and no freedom of movement as im being constantly surrounded by enemies...skipping this mission and heading to the next...

The next mission won't make much sense if you don't finish this one. Just FYI.
    Try avoiding enemies instead of killing them. It's much easier.

How is the staff supposed to work exactly? I tried attacking and blocking, and it works like a blackjack.

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    The next mission won't make much sense if you don't finish this one. Just FYI.
    Try avoiding enemies instead of killing them. It's much easier.
    Alright, i gave it another go, this time inside the castle it was more accessible, with less creatures around. i was able to complete all goals. I didn't know this was the last mission.

Mission finished, what can i say... the map is very good, nice design, the atmosphere here is very good, it fits well , and the ambient sound is also very good, the gameplay could be much accessible in the beginning , as the place is teeming with nasty creatures, some of them are invulnerable to my weapons, i was forced to speak with Clara from above the roof, because the floor where she is was filled with nasty creatures, im surprised how the creatures didn't attack her. once inside the castle things become much more accessible and interesting, the plot-line here is also very good. Over all well done Russ!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmalkin View Post
    How is the staff supposed to work exactly? I tried attacking and blocking, and it works like a blackjack.
    Looks like you don't have NewDark 1.25. The staff won't work without it.

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    Looks like you don't have NewDark 1.25. The staff won't work without it.
    I have a current GOG version. Anyway, I wanted to know how is it supposed to work. Is it supposed to fire when I press block? Or maybe I have to press attack while blocking?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    If you attack or block with it, it should fire. if it doesn't, you aren't on 1.25. GOG may not have updated to 1.25 NewDark, although it was released in March 2017. This mission also will not end correctly if you don't upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    The five large elemental bosses are invincible to the wand.
    I hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
    I hate you.
    , i know what you mean i also tried to kill them but with no results, once youre inside the castle things will be much more accessible.
    Last edited by Cardia; 9th Nov 2017 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
    I hate you.
    That being said, you will find a way to get rid of them by progressing.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I think he's already finished the campaign, he was just voicing his protest of that design decision, which I understand. I still agree with how we did it, though.

BTW. is there anything interesting to find in the very tall room with stacked bookcases and the skeleton sitting in a chair, looking at the window? The very top seems to be accessible with the rope arrows, but I couldn't find anything frobbable there.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    No, sadly there is no longer anything on top of that bookcase. Originally the key to the east tower was in there, but that presented logistical objective problems so it was moved to where it is now. I replaced it with a piece of loot, but then we ended up removing the loot from the mission because there was so little of it.

Ah, OK. Pity there isn't anything in there. Even some readable would do for the atmosphere or story. It's just a natural destination point for some discovery. Also because it makes people (or at least me) spend a good bit of time on trying to reach to the top only to find nothing there.
    Still - the whole castle interior is a great piece of level design.

Quote Originally Posted by chischis View Post
    Thanks Guff. I'm very rusty. :P Campaign complete.
    I am stuck here for he first time this campaign. I got the scroll spell but am not able to get the lever / ghost thing to work. I did go to the top of the broken elevator and went back to Clara. What am I missing?