TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Places Contest - Results

Southquarter.com/fms

Lost Places Contest - Results

OK, voting has closed, the results have been tallied, and we have a winner. It is...

Derelict Dock District, by john9818a

Congrats John! Well done. And thanks to the other participants as well, I thought all 3 missions looked excellent. Here are the final total scores:

Derelict Dock District by john9818a - 1344
    Eye of the Gems: Shadow and Fog by Terra - 1289
    Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb by trefoilknot - 1217

I'm going to include some more detailed stats on each mission in the next couple of posts, just for fun. After that, at some point I will also add voters comments (anonymously) for everyone's reading pleasure.

On the stats pages, each mission is broken down by category. Within each category, there is a list of how many votes each mission got sorted by rating. For example, how many ratings of 7 did Derelict Dock District receive for Story/Plot? (Answer: 15). Or how many ratings of 9 did Eye of the Gems receive for Atmosphere/Visual? (Answer: 12).

Some voters did not score by category, but instead just gave a total score - they are listed at the bottom under "Other."

Thanks again to everyone who downloaded, played, voted, and of course the authors who participated. Feel free to offer up suggestions for future contests too.

User comments for all three missions:

Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb
    Derelict Dock District
    Eye of the Gems: Shadow and Fog
    Last edited by Brethren; 14th Nov 2017 at 11:49.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Derelict Dock District, Total Score: 1344

Atmosphere/Visual Effects

1 - 0
    2 - 0
    3 - 0
    4 - 0
    5 - 1
    6 - 8
    7 - 8
    8 - 10
    9 - 12
    10 – 8

Story/Plot

1 - 0
    2 - 0
    3 - 1
    4 – 0
    5 - 1
    6 - 7
    7 - 15
    8 - 15
    9 - 7
    10 – 1

Gameplay/Enjoyment

1 - 0
    2 - 0
    3 - 0
    4 - 1
    5 - 1
    6 - 8
    7 - 10
    8 - 10
    9 - 10
    10 – 7

Others: 24, 23, 25, 28, 19, 25, 15, 25, 28,18, 22

Southquarter.com/fms
    Eye of the Gems: Shadow and Fog, Total Score: 1289

1 - 0
    2 - 0
    3 - 0
    4 - 0
    5 - 1
    6 - 1
    7 - 3
    8 - 6
    9 - 12
    10 – 24

Story/Plot

1 - 0
    2 - 2
    3 - 0
    4 – 0
    5 - 6
    6 - 5
    7 - 10
    8 - 11
    9 - 10
    10 – 3

Gameplay/Enjoyment

1 - 2
    2 - 3
    3 - 1
    4 - 1
    5 - 4
    6 - 4
    7 - 9
    8 - 7
    9 - 7
    10 – 9

Others: 22, 30, 20, 15, 28, 26, 20, 27

Southquarter.com/fms
    Bertrand’s Forgotten Tomb, Total Score: 1217

1 - 0
    2 - 0
    3 - 0
    4 - 1
    5 - 3
    6 - 7
    7 - 12
    8 - 11
    9 - 10
    10 – 3

Story/Plot

1 - 1
    2 - 1
    3 - 0
    4 - 2
    5 - 4
    6 - 7
    7 - 11
    8 - 10
    9 - 8
    10 – 3

Gameplay/Enjoyment

1 - 2
    2 - 0
    3 - 0
    4 - 3
    5 - 4
    6 - 4
    7 - 8
    8 - 7
    9 - 6
    10 – 13

Others: 21, 25, 26, 25, 15, 14, 21, 14, 17

Congrats, John! Really enjoyed your FM!

Thanks for hosting, Brethren! Happy to see I've got a good handful of fans, as well thirteen 10s on gameplay/enjoyment---I'll take it!!

congrats all three were winners to me

I thought it was Terra who was going to win, but the other two missions were also good, congratulations John!

And great work to the participants who made high quality missions.

Great missions all of them!! congrats John.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Congrats to John, and all the participants. I hope to find time to play them soon.

Congratulations, John! A well-deserved win! I really enjoyed the mission, and the ship was nicely done!

Congratulations to the other contestants as well for turning in very well done and enjoyable missions. As always, it's this community that wins. Thank you all for your participation and hard work.

Loved all three missions in this contest. Big thanks to john9818a, Terra, and trefoilknot for all their hard work!

Wow this is a complete surprised! Thanks everyone for your votes and congrats! I thought all of the missions were good but I also thought Terra's mission was going to win.

Congratulations John.

It was a joy to play and beta test it.

And a very well done to both trefoilknot & Terra who gave us a couple of excellent missions, you both deserved to have won, but sadly there can only ever be one winner in such contests.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Feel free to offer up suggestions for future contests too.
    In one years time, 30th Nov 2018, we will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the release of TDP. This will be a major milestone not only in our history, but how many other games released 20 years ago is there still such a large fan base as well as regular releases of FM's?

I expect we will want to see some sort of community celebration of this anniversary and suspect we may have a Thief Reloaded 2 competion, but as was pointed out recently by Brethren, FM's made nowadays tend to be very much larger and more complex than earlier releases and so many authors do not get involved in contests due to time limitations.

So if we are going to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Thief with a TR2 contest, maybe it would be a sensible idea to discuss this now and launch the competition by the end of this year, giving the maximum number of authors both the opportunity to get involved, as well as offering them a more than decent build time, with the missions being released on the 30th November 2018.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Btw, there have already been 2 Reloaded contests, so we'd be up to edition 3.

Not sure how I feel on more contests. Yes, it seems like something should be done for the anniversary, and probably something T1/Gold related. But recent participation in contests has been low, and as I've said, most seasoned authors have their own large projects going on. This year alone we had a 3 mission pack from Random Taffer, and then huge campaigns by both GORT and Yandros. I tend to think veterans like those guys wouldn't be interested in a contest.

But on the flip side, we have some excellent new authors out there, so maybe they'd want to try their hand at a contest. And I'm sure there are some newbs out there somewhere, dying to give Dromed a shot 20 years after the game's release.

Congratulations John! I thought all three FMs were enjoyable and really well done. Thanks to you all for your hard work.

A TR contest to celebrate the 20th anniversary is an excellent idea and gets my vote (but I'm a greedy taffer who loves Thief and sucks up every FM/contest like a well-used Hoover...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    I thought it was Terra who was going to win, but the other two missions were also good, congratulations John!

And great work to the participants who made high quality missions.
    Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Wow this is a complete surprised! Thanks everyone for your votes and congrats! I thought all of the missions were good but I also thought Terra's mission was going to win.
    Thanks for this Words, but its ok, this Contest was a Fun Event, an i really enjoy this Challenge, for me there is not really One Winner.

At this Point thank you, Brethren for this great Contest and the work i hope i see more contest in the Future.

Congratulations, John! and also Congratulations, trefoilknot.

And thank you Guys for Playing my FM, i hope you Enjoy the Acideus Saga in the Future.

I have some Contest Idea, i like to see a Team Build Contest, with 2 or more Authors in a Team to create a FM. Or a Crazy Contest with some Special Effects and strange Places or other Dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by -Terra- View Post
    I have some Contest Idea, i like to see a Team Build Contest, with 2 or more Authors in a Team to create a FM. Or a Crazy Contest with some Special Effects and strange Places or other Dimensions.

"strange Places or other Dimensions" describes my current project. It'll include 4-dimensional puzzler aspects But it probably wouldn't be eligible for a contest, as I've already begun work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Terra- View Post
    I have some Contest Idea, i like to see a Team Build Contest, with 2 or more Authors in a Team to create a FM.
    With the 20yr anniversary coming up how about a community team build to make a campaign. Could we persuade 8+ authors to work on a single project?

Each author would be responsible for building one mission, they don't have to be big or complex, but if they had enough time and they were experienced authors, they would be encouraged to go for it. On the other hand newbie authors would be encouraged to build the best they could regardless of size.

The end result could be a superlative, if not eclectic mix of styles, a bit like Thief - The Chain Project. Of course you would need to get 2/3 people together to write the plot outline, but I guess one month +/- would be enough for 2/3 talented script writers to come up with something and by the time they have, we should know how many authors are up for getting involved and thus how many missions would be needed.

There would not be a contest as such, the honour of making a special campaign to celebrate the 20th anniversary may suffice, but we could vote on the individual missions basing the voting on the faithfullness to TDP style and gameplay, rather than the quality of build that will always favour experienced authors.
    Last edited by fortuni; 2nd Nov 2017 at 15:00.

I'd love to see a puzzle-based "Escape the Room" contest. (I, for one, would surely participate.)

Probably wouldn't be appropriate for a 20th anniversary contest, as it wouldn't be quintessential TDP gameplay, but I think it would be terrific fun! It would encourage innovative/clever puzzle design, and wouldn't require the enormous investment associated with crafting the architecture for a large mission. Thus, folks who are working on ambitious projects might be willing to take a break for a few months to participate.

EDIT: I don't necessarily mean the objective would be to escape the room (e.g., it could still be to get in, steal something and get out), but rather that the mission would be in the style of those types of puzzles.
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 2nd Nov 2017 at 14:53.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Real specific contest themes rarely work, because they rule too many people out. Not everyone wants to do a puzzle mission. It's better to have a very broad theme (or even none at all) to promote the most participation.

Instead of using a theme like "Make a mission like Escape!" I think it's better to do something like "Create a mission in the style of an existing Thief TDP mission." That way someone can go the Escape! route if they choose, but also could do a "Follow the AI" mission like Assassins, or a "Disguise" mission like Undercover, or a "Rescue the AI" level like Cragscleft. And so forth.

Making a campaign for the anniversary, which is only a year away, is really ambitious. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it's a tall order. You'd have to find 6-10 dedicated people who were able to work together and invest a ton of time into the project. Better off shooting for the T2 20th anniversary instead.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    With the 20yr anniversary coming up how about a community team build to make a campaign. Could we persuade 8+ authors to work on a single project?

Each author would be responsible for building one mission, they don't have to be big or complex, but if they had enough time and they were experienced authors, they would be encouraged to go for it. On the other hand newbie authors would be encouraged to build the best they could regardless of size.

The end result could be a superlative, if not eclectic mix of styles, a bit like Thief - The Chain Project. Of course you would need to get 2/3 people together to write the plot outline, but I guess one month +/- would be enough for 2/3 talented script writers to come up with something and by the time they have, we should know how many authors are up for getting involved and thus how many missions would be needed.

There would not be a contest as such, the honour of making a special campaign to celebrate the 20th anniversary may suffice, but we could vote on the individual missions basing the voting on the faithfullness to TDP style and gameplay, rather than the quality of build that will always favour experienced authors.
    I Relly like this Idea, i am missing such Projects like Hammerite Empire or Cosas. But dont count on me, i have many to do after FNAD i going in the Winterbreak, and next year i come back with HotG Gold and Paradox Equation. My Acideus Saga is a Project for me, and i have a little Team who help me out in some points. But i hope i see a new Project with some great Points, really sad that Cosas is gone, i really liked this story and Dante was a cool Character.

Cheers and Good Night!

Making a campaign for the anniversary, which is only a year away, is really ambitious. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it's a tall order. You'd have to find 6-10 dedicated people who were able to work together and invest a ton of time into the project. Better off shooting for the T2 20th anniversary instead.
    GORT can make this. GORT is a FM building machine, i like this Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    You'd have to find 6-10 dedicated people who were able to work together and invest a ton of time into the project.
    Would such authors need to work together so closely? If the plot writers gave those authors an outline of the mission they were allocated, they would be left to interpret that plot line as best they saw fit. I'm not suggesting something as polished as T2X, more of a loose collaboration of independent mission strung together into one campaign.

But yes, I do see your concern, maybe this idea maybe more suited to the anniversary of T2, especially seeing there are so many more authors who work with that editor, so if others think this is an idea worth pursuing for the T2 anniversary in 2000, maybe it's something that could be discussed and planned in the coming year over at the Editors Guild.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I have a few thoughts on a T1 Anniversary Contest.

First, while fortuni's idea of a group campaign sounds good, keep in mind that quite a lot of the current experienced authors are already busy working on two big campaigns, myself included. Also, 1 year for a campaign is completely unrealistic - it might take 6 months just to get 6-8 people to agree on an overall story plan and game design when you're talking abot a campaign-sized project. The T2 Anniversary in 2020 is a lot more realistic, but I'm not sure I see it happening either.

I also think another reloaded contest is a bad idea right now. If we're talking about a whole year to make a mission, the main benefit of reusing an OM is moot, but you get the downside of reusing an OM (familiarity).

I've spoken privately with some other authors and players about this today, and we all kind of agree that a stock resource contest might be the most suitable approach here. It would be more in line with an homage contest to suit the anniversary, and the restriction against custom resources would also tend to help people finish on time, as well as encourage newbies to enter, as it levels the playing field to some extent. We also have only ever had one such contest, and it was pretty successful (over a dozen entries if I recall correctly). This one wouldn't have to have the small size restriction of the original either, just a rule that only stock resources could be used. Players would be encouraged to play the entries vanilla, but could always choose to use EPs if they really want to.

One option would also be to require the missions be for T1G.