TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Odyssey

Moderator and Priest

Super Mario Odyssey

Okay, I took a week off from the internet to chill out, and get my chakra recentered (it's like a tire alignment for the soul).

But now I'm back! Problem is, I'm busy as hell now, so I'm just gonna have to make quick snipe posts until this weekend. So, with that said, SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY! WOOOO! HELL YEAH!

Thing What Kicks
    It's very good Renz. There's an awesome amount of sheer, playful inventiveness on display.

Also, dark theorytime!

Mario is dead.

He gets knocked off of the airship at the start of the game, presumably falls to his death, which is hinted at by the tattered cap, and ends up in a muted world populated by what look like Boos in disguise. I reckon Bonneton is the underworld.
    He then gets a new hat which gives him the power to possess both sentient and inanimate objects, like a ghost.
    DEAD I TELLS YA.

Moderator and Priest
    It's like everything that was great about Mario 64, supersized and made even more dense with crazy secrets. It is the perfect 3D Mario game.

And my theory is that...

Mario finally kicked his mushroom habit, hence why there are none to be found in the game, and everything you see happen in Odyssey is a fever dream hallucination he's experiencing while going through the early stages of withdrawal.

If I have to find one thing to complain about, it'd be the complete lack (so far) of slide levels. If there aren't any in Odyssey, it'll be a damn crying shame.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, I've thought that too. Sliding that is. I especially think the addition of the Samus-like roll indicates that sliding probably wont feature. But there's still plenty of time for me to be proven wrong.

Moderator and Priest
    Hey, Malf. Have you found the Mario 64 costume yet? Still need to get the hat, myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DNgOUndVwAEYw6v.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	2425

Thing What Kicks
    Nope! Not got that one yet. You say have I "found" it Renz; do you mean outfits can be found outside of shops?

Moderator and Priest
    I found the shop it's sold in, so it still works.

Southquarter.com/fms
    You were gone? Huh.

I picked up Odyssey too, but for some reason I haven't played much yet. Finishing up other games and playing FMs I guess.

Thing What Kicks
    I'm on my fifth world in Odyssey, but that doesn't mean I've completed the previous ones. I'm sure there's still tons of things I've missed.

But I'm also still playing Horizon Zero Dawn, I'm popping in and out of The Division, and I've also got TLOU Remastered and Uncharted 4 cued up.

I also really need to get around to finally fighting Ganon in Zelda BoTW, I've still not finished West of Loathing or Night in the Woods, and really enjoyed the little time we spent with Helldivers at the weekend.

And I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Speaking as someone who isn't even playing it, Mario Odyssey definitely deserves it's own thread.

icemann, surely you can rebind that button?

Moderator and Priest
    I finally found a slide level, so yes, it definitely does need its own thread. If Scumble doesn't get around to it, I'll do it myself when I get home tonight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DNoq9gWV4AAbhBi.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	2426

Southquarter.com/fms
    Yeah, I'm playing now too, got to the sand world last night. Brought it to work with me today to play at lunch. I still find it ironic how the selling point to the Switch is that you can play portable and on the go on the small screen, but to me both this game and Breath of the Wild just beg to be played on a nice huge HD TV.

Moderator and Priest
    I don't have a problem playing them on the little screen. Maybe it's because I grew up with a Gameboy, but I usually find I like taking things portable when given the choice. Hell, about 90% of my time with the Switch has been me playing it undocked on the couch while I have something playing on the TV in the background.

I’ve been playing it all week. It’s delightful, and it’s more entertaining than Galaxy, I reckon (never played Galaxy 2). They literally came up with dozens of control schemes for all of the creatures you inhabit, which I feel hasn’t always worked well in Marios past, but here there’s so much nuance and polish that it’s kind of amazing how much fun they all are. Plus it’s really silly and cute and the animation is wonderful. So many adjectives. It makes me so happy to own a portable system that has this and Breath of the Wild on it.

That said, the motion controls are wonky, and I actually don’t love playing it portably; it feels richer on a monitor with a pro controller.

Thing What Kicks
    Have any of you just left Mario to idle? I did the other night, and he fell asleep on the floor and started muttering the names of Italian pasta dishes between snores

The general consensus seems to be that the Switch is succeeding essentially as a Gameboy that happens to be dockable.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    That said, the motion controls are wonky, and I actually don’t love playing it portably; it feels richer on a monitor with a pro controller.
    Speaking of which, I bought the Pro controller earlier tonight, and I have to say that it's probably one of the best feeling controllers I've ever used. It's surprising, because the thing looks so simple and bog standard at a casual glance.

And for $70, it damn well better be great.

By the way, how many moons have you all collected so far? I'm at 308 on my last count.

edit: Ha! And it works on the comp, too! Anyone want to buy my PS4 controller?
    Last edited by Renzatic; 4th Nov 2017 at 05:21.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Speaking as someone who isn't even playing it, Mario Odyssey definitely deserves it's own thread.

icemann, surely you can rebind that button?
    Rebind in what? Cemu? Course you can in that. Nice to be mentioned when I'd not even posted in the thread yet .

Administrator
    That line was a reference to GTA 5 in the original "What are you playing" thread - it wasn't a reference to Cemu. I've copied an edited version of henke's post back there so it'll make sense: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2375227

Ohhhh. So now it makes sense .

Yeah you can rebind it. But I'm just talking about the default controls that the game was shipped with. It's one of those "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?" type situations. To quote the Angry Video Game Nerd. Surely in QA they'd have had people playing the PC version go to use a character specific ability then have the screen go wonky, press alt+enter shortly after and have it skip the cutscene they were in and be like WTF?

Southquarter.com/fms
    OK, this game is pretty awesome. You could justify buying a Switch just for this and Breath of the Wild. Love the varied worlds so far, and the gameplay is just to much fun. I blinked and like 4 hours had gone by.

Just entered the Metro Kingdom, it has a very cool nighttime raining effect. But I'm only up to about 60 moons - when you look at the master lists, I can't believe how many moons I'm missing in each kingdom. This is gonna take a while.

I think the motion controls work really well so far. I'm playing with just the joycons (no grip), one in each hand, so maybe that makes it a bit easier.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Also, I like controlling tanks and blowing stuff up.

Moderator and Priest
    You have no idea what's in store for you, Brethren. The game just keeps piling awesome stuff on and on without end. Even when you've beat the game, which is a fairly quick thing to do, you've probably only seen about 20-30% of what it has to offer.

Administrator
    I am not going to be playing this for some time most likely unless I lose all restraint and buy a Switch. Even watching a couple of example videos shows a number of instances of the inventiveness everyone is pointing out. Seemingly daft and random but obviously carefully designed and set up.