TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: besides garrett what characters were in all thief games=t1/gold/2 and 3

besides garrett what characters were in all thief games=t1/gold/2 and 3

well i know benny is in all three games,makes me wonder if he is like the stan lee of the marvel universe?

that is why i wonder if there is any other characters besides garrett in all 3 games?

also according to thief 3 that one hammer Drept who told the hag story would have been around during all 3 games also

and possible keepers who were in all 3?

There is bound to be a Keeper character or two in all three.

If Benny is in all three then so is "Sutter" (my unofficial name for Benny's recurring partner).

i think you got "reeves ball sutter" mixed up for a person when its a term lol'

its kinda a thing to say when you see something you not expecting,a bit of a shock

It just so happens that, a while back, I'd taken notes on all the characters' appearances and mentions throughout the series (for fun, I think). And I can conclude that the only characters besides Garrett to physically appear in every game are the "clever guard & dumb guard" duo. However, there are other characters who've at least been mentioned in all three games:

The Trickster (appeared in TDP/G, mentioned in TMA and TDS)
    Viktoria (appeared in TDP/G and TMA, mentioned in TDS)
    Karras (appeared in TMA, mentioned in TDS and an unused quote in TDP/G)
    Lord Bafford (never physically appeared, but mentioned in all three)
    Ramirez (appeared in TDP/G, mentioned in TMA and TDS)
    Lord Gervaisius (never physically appeared, but mentioned in all three)

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i think you got "reeves ball sutter" mixed up for a person when its a term lol'
    Uh, no, Sutter is indeed the name of the front door guard in "Thieves' Guild." Danno's actual quote there is, "Reeve's balls, Sutter, it's me!"

ohh ok it makes sense now ty

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Benny doesn't appear in T3, the dumb guard's name in T3 is Sinclair. Unless we're to assume that Sinclair is his last name and his mates started calling him by that, there is no reference to Benny that I recall in T3.

DromEd Archmage
    There are just two Sutter in TG : The front door guard in Overlord's Fancy, and the thief with Felix who attempted to flee the catacombs when things turned wrong.

The duet of the Clever Guard and the Stupid Guard are actually named in an unused conversation for Bafford's Mission in TG : "Hal & Joce", the guys we met first in the Basement of the mansion.

According to a T2 conversation in our return in Lord Gervaisius Mansion (it don't trigger in the vanilla game), we learn each time we've met a conversation between a clever guard and a stupid guard these characters were always the same, so Hal and Joce :

They worked for Bafford, met in the basement, talking about guarding outside.
    They worked for Donald, met near the secret passage in Thieves'guild, talking about conflict between Lord Donald and Lord Reuben.
    They worked for Truart, met in Shoalsgate in their guardpost, talking about mechanical eyes.
    Then Gervaisius, talking about all these things.

The clever guard said nevertheless it's the last time he will work with his stupid friend and nothing in T3 can confirm if he said this because he was sick and angry or if he was serious.
    But the fact we still spot some conversation between a clever guard and a stupid guard in TDS can let us guess that they are still working togather.

About Benny, he's just the drunk Captain of the Guard in Truart's mansion. Nothing more, nothing less, so we don't have to care more about him.
    He was just iconic because his way to be drunk make him appealing and that's all.

yandros you might be right i just heard the acting and figured it as a benny

so i guess we are down to keepers options?

also i am talking about characters seen in all three games,not in books/etc

i also wish we got to see more of cutty,but damp got in his lungs and he passed
    Last edited by downwinder; 4th Nov 2017 at 19:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmauden View Post
    It just so happens that, a while back, I'd taken notes on all the characters' appearances and mentions throughout the series (for fun, I think). And I can conclude that the only characters besides Garrett to physically appear in every game are the "clever guard & dumb guard" duo. However, there are other characters who've at least been mentioned in all three games:
    I think I remember you doing it for a thread of mine, to find possible informal names for Benny's partner, and for which I was grateful. Or maybe you had done it already and were just pasting your notes into that thread. In which case, still grateful

From what I remember it came down to Sutter or Jorrin. But it is possible that it is Jorrin who is mentioned in a conversation between Benny and partner in Assassins. Plus Benny and Sutter are the only NPCs we know to have the same voices as Clever and Dumb guard.

Anyway, isn't Artemus at least mentioned in all three? If we include generic voices, then I think the same Hammer appears in all three.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireMage View Post
    About Benny, he's just the drunk Captain of the Guard in Truart's mansion. Nothing more, nothing less, so we don't have to care more about him.
    He was just iconic because his way to be drunk make him appealing and that's all.
    Irrespective of intentions, I think guards with that voice became Benny and why not. Ask SR, or any of the other devs about Benny and they'll know the voice you mean, and I'll wager they won't insist that you must be talking about that one specific Blackmail guard.

On another note, even that one named Benny isn't always Benny. SR never did a generic drunk voice so before and after his scripted speech "Benny" has a different general drunk voice by a different VA.

my whole point of thread was to see if there was character besides garrett ,that could be considered the stan lee of the thief universe

if so it would have been well done in execution as from what i seen so far only a keeper could fit the criteria i am looking for

the best way is to look at thief 3 and see if anything matches t1/gold or t2 then backtrack to thief 2 and repeat till you get to thief 1 and find at least one person seen in all three games

kinda sad we cant use thief 2 gold extra missions that were never complete i wonder what if any characters would have graced those missions

it was just a though i had one day thinking maybe the dev would try to be even more sneaky then most thought about games

i forgot if basso is in thief 3? i know there are shops one had a girl and one a guy,but not sure?

i should replay thief 3 but i want a better comp first,i also want to recheck thief 3 apartment rooms besides garrett to see who is in those,i know at some point you can enter some of them

Search this forum for another thread on all of the characters in each of the Thief games started iirc earlier this year.

my whole point of thread was to see if there was character besides garrett ,that could be considered the stan lee of the thief universe

if so it would have been well done in execution as from what i seen so far only a keeper could fit the criteria i am looking for

the best way is to look at thief 3 and see if anything matches t1/gold or t2 then backtrack to thief 2 and repeat till you get to thief 1 and find at least one person seen in all three games
    As Grandmauden has already detailed, Bafford and Gervasius are mentioned in all three games, we just never see them in person. Bafford has a short image-only cameo (presumably drunk or jolly) in the briefing of the first proper mission in TDP/TG, Bram Gervasius has a short image-only cameo in a briefing for a later mission in TMA, when Garrett and Viktoria are discussing their strategy before the infiltration.

Bernard Farkus and Ramirez are dead by the time of TDS (Farkus for obvious reasons, and his funeral was payed by his siblings) and Ramirez either due to the player's actions in TDP or due to some other reason in the intervening years (after all, he was a major crime boss - maybe the watch killed him during an arrest or raid).

Bafford has a sister mentioned in TDS, Olivia. His own given name is never mentioned, though. Farkus' siblings are Clive and Emily.

Dumb Guard and Smart Guard are perhaps a little too elaborate for the "Stan Lee style cameo", their appearances being much more regular and detailed, more akin to a running gag.

Given Bafford's comic relief nature, my own bet is that if there is a Stan Lee cameo equivalent in the trilogy, it's definitely Bafford.

In the last two months, after years of hesitation, I've decided to put together a semi-serious list of who I'd cast for a Thief film or TV series. One of the things I've tried to keep in mind is that some of the continuity between characters in the three installments is a bit nebulous, so in my fantasy casting project, I occassionally gave certain characters additional early or later appearances, in at least two installments each. For instance, brother Uriel only shows up in TMA, but in my adaptation treatment, he's already seen among the Hammerites during the events of TDP, providing a clearer bridge between the two stories. Or I've merged Keeper Nate and the nameless young Keeper who appears throughout TDS - they're pretty much the same character, so I treated them accordingly, and Nate appears in TMA and TDS. Finally, in my treatment, I did indeed pick Lord Bafford as an equivalent to Stan Lee's cameos. It just felt natural to me, he felt like the obvious choice (no real appearances, brief mentions, funny, appears in every game).

kinda sad we cant use thief 2 gold extra missions that were never complete i wonder what if any characters would have graced those missions

it was just a though i had one day thinking maybe the dev would try to be even more sneaky then most thought about games
    Who knows.

While the Thief II Gold fan mission project is on permanent hiatus, one of its FMs was completed by Bulgarian Taffer (albeit with probably less grandeur than expected):
    http://thiefmissions.com/m/FirstCityCollege
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127676

There's also this video by a Let's Player, which goes through all the surviving unfinished OMs that were planned for Thief II Gold. Additional stuff here and here.

i forgot if basso is in thief 3? i know there are shops one had a girl and one a guy,but not sure?
    Neither him or Jenivere make a direct appearance in TDS, and I don't think they're really mentioned either. Like with a lot of Garrett's acquaintances in the three installments, we don't hear or see much about them beyond their one or two major appearances (and in their case, the key appearance is in Running Interference). For all we now, Basso and Jenivere might have moved to a different city. Or they might have even perished in the intervening time (as sad as that would be) and Garrett doesn't want to talk about it. Garrett's at least a decade or a decade and a half older by the events of Deadly Shadows. You see it in his character development as well: He's a little bit more cordial towards Artemus and more open towards cooperation with the Keepers, provided he also gets something out of it. TMA's final cutscene seemed to hint at this change. "And there's more..." "Yes." "Tell me."

i should replay thief 3 but i want a better comp first,i also want to recheck thief 3 apartment rooms besides garrett to see who is in those,i know at some point you can enter some of them
    If you don't mind a spoiler:

The other tennants are a middle-aged lady and a middle-aged man. IIRC, the lady lives at the far end of the hallway, and the man at the end closer to the office of the guard. The guard is named Bob. There's some loot in the tennants' rooms and especially in Bob's office, and it tends to change a bit over time, partly based on the player's actions. IIRC, you can even get Bob fired by the landlord if Garrett keeps robbing the office dry. That's about all there is to do in Garrett's tenement building. Not terribly much, concerning either thieving or character interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Search this forum for another thread on all of the characters in each of the Thief games started iirc earlier this year.
    Yes, I think jtr7 and a few other people made threads with an overview of all the characters or at least character names in the trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by FireMage View Post
    The duet of the Clever Guard and the Stupid Guard are actually named in an unused conversation for Bafford's Mission in TG : "Hal & Joce", the guys we met first in the Basement of the mansion.

(...)

About Benny, he's just the drunk Captain of the Guard in Truart's mansion. Nothing more, nothing less, so we don't have to care more about him. He was just iconic because his way to be drunk make him appealing and that's all.
    Wow, interesting ! Didn't know about this batch of alternate names for them.

Going by all the names used for the duo, I reckon "Benny's full name" might as well be Benjamin Bertram Joce Sinclair. (Hey, there is precedent in other fantasy works ! Nobby Nobbs from Discworld has a fairly elaborate name too.)
    Last edited by Petike the Taffer; 9th Nov 2017 at 04:42. Reason: typo

thank you so much that info was great,nice though it is possible there could be a stan lee type charecter in thief

also i recently played thief gold and i was doing the sword and up stairs in that room with a door and a face behind it is a note about a woman inn cragscleft who was kidnapped by the hammer

i am going to redo the prison mission and see if i can find out a name from the name book in each cell block and see if anything comes of that

also i am curious is any mention of that guy in thief 3 who became a hammer and told the hag storie,i wonder if when he was younger if he was in thief 1/2,the maps by garretts house in thief 2 show shalebridge in north east area i think,also in thief 3 there is one part of a map by pagan area with shalebridge sign,close to some underground small secret area from what i remember

i wonder if its possible to chart out all 3 games in a pictorial view showing paths with lines/names/places how it would line up with current map,also that one house you have to get to by boat in thief 3 was very interesting

also including where key notes/letters were found

why the hag choise auldale for a hiding place is weird to me also