TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good Android games out there?

Any good Android games out there?

Since I lack the time to play longer games these days, I thought I'd pick up something for my phone, but it looks like mobile gaming is a bit of a mess right now. Are there any mobile games worth playing out there? Basically I'm looking for games that would be mobile-exclusive or offer a better experience than on any other platform.

Already tried:
    Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon -- the game from our LGS alumnus Randy Smith
    Waking Mars -- another Randy Smith game
    Threes!
    Fallout Shelter
    You Must Build a Boat
    Cut the Rope
    Downwell
    Sorcery!

Moderator and Priest
    Wayward Souls, one of the best mobile games you can find outside of The Room series.

I quite liked Devil's Attorney when I played it. Other than that I haven't really played any recommendable mobile exclusive games.

I'll tell you the games I keep playing.
    I tend to go with RPG & strategy because they're replayable without being arcadey.
    So I won't pretend my preferences are very representative of what most people will like.

Shattered PD, which is a mod of Pixel Dungeon. Classic Dungeon-crawl Rogue-like, but it's so well balanced and perfectly crafted. (The mod has more bells and whistles than the original. Both are fun.)
    Little Stars 2. simple little 4X. Planets make ships; ships take over planets.
    Strategy & Tactics: WW2. Like a mission-based Axis & Allies.
    2048. The number-adding one.

The other things I play a lot are classic games on emulators (Atari, Nintendos, Genesis, C64) and all of the top-ranked interactive fiction games over the last 30 years on Text Fiction (or Hunky Punk if the IF has its own layout).

I used to have a lot of games on my phone. But over time I keep purging them for space, and keep coming back to a few, which are these.

Hmm... I didn't really even think of emulation, but I wonder how well the more arcadey games that were meant to be played with a controller on a TV screen translate over to mobile. Maybe it's worth to check out handhelds, though?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    2048. The number-adding one.
    This looks really similar to Threes. Like identical twins kind of similar. Any reason to prefer this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Hmm... I didn't really even think of emulation, but I wonder how well the more arcadey games that were meant to be played with a controller on a TV screen translate over to mobile. Maybe it's worth to check out handhelds, though?
    The graphics are simplified, so visually it's a good fit for mobile gaming.
    The issue are the controllers. They're overlaid on the touch screen.

The really good ones have relative controls (or would have it if they existed), so if you swipe up anywhere on the lefthand side, it'll always be registered as "up" (and so forth), and if you press anywhere around the top left and right corners, you'll press A & B buttons.

But most of them just overlay the control on the screen so you have to be a little more careful and can miss in the heat of the moment. But even these work fine after you've had a little practice.

Edit:
    This looks really similar to Threes. Like identical twins kind of similar. Any reason to prefer this one?
    I don't know what Threes is. 2048 is just the one I saw was highly ranked, I downloaded and started playing. I had the idea it was the only one, or anyway the original, of its kind; but I didn't research it or anything so may be wrong about that. It's anyway the one everyone on the train in Tokyo plays that I've seen.

Ok, I watched a video of Threes. They're similar but the mechanics are still different. In 2048, all the chips fall completely to the end of one direction, not just one space, and a new number, a 2 or 4, appears randomly on any square and already starts the "only combines with the same number". They're obvious clones; and since I don't even know which came first, I don't know which is a clone of which.

Just going by the video, 2048 feels slicker. It feels like the pieces move faster, as they're whizzing across the entire board. They have different aesthetics, but I grant that's entirely just a matter of personal preference.

It's also probably just a matter of which one you started playing first is the one you'll be familiar with. I couldn't easily just switch to Threes now because the mechanics are different enough that everything I picked up in 2048 wouldn't really translate except towards the endgame.
    Last edited by demagogue; 5th Nov 2017 at 00:33.

Administrator
    Data Wing is worth checking out. You play a ship that must navigate levels to do the bidding of an AI. It has a nice sense of humour and each level is short enough to pick up and play when out and about.

Little inferno is not android exclusive but suits the touch platform perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I don't know what Threes is. 2048 is just the one I saw was highly ranked, I downloaded and started playing. I had the idea it was the only one, or anyway the original, of its kind; but I didn't research it or anything so may be wrong about that. It's anyway the one everyone on the train in Tokyo plays that I've seen.
    Threes is the original, 2048 is the clone.

I personally don't play mobile games very often, but the ones that held my interest for a significant period of time are:
    Rayman Jungle Run
    Monument Valley
    Lara Croft Go

And the Mobile version of World of Goo plays really well too.

I've also kept Alto's Adventure and Jetpack Joyride installed and enjoy them when I need something shorter.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Most played games on my Android phone:
    Desert Golfing - You hit the ball. Ball goes into hole. Screen scroll to the right to reveal the next hole. Repeat 15779 times until you get to hole 15780 which I swear is impossible.
    Hoplite - wonderful minimalist turn-based strategy.
    Super Stickman Golf/Flappy Golf series - in case you finish Desert Golfing but still yearn for more 2D golf.
    The Organ Trail - somewhat FTL-ish permadeath roguelite survival thing that plays very well on a phone.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming!

For now, I picked up Pixel Dungeon, The Room, Wayward Souls and Monument Valley, but I'll be sure to check back here when I'm done with those.

Radiation Island is well-rated, fun survival-crafting-shooter game.

ZylonBane
    Angry Birds, doi.

Level 10,000 achieved
    For now, I picked up Pixel Dungeon, The Room, Wayward Souls and Monument Valley, but I'll be sure to check back here when I'm done with those.
    I haven't played Pixel Dungeon, but those others are indeed good stuff!

Elder Sign - a board game set in the Cthulu universe. High production values and great replayability make this a worthy recommendation. RNG can get a little annoying though.
    The Room 1, 2 & 3 are all really well done.
    Some of the other games mentioned such as Monument Valley 1 & 2 are probably better on a tablet though.

I have the regular board game at home (and Arkham Horror and Mansions of Madness and Eldritch Horror and so on). I don't know how I feel about board game apps. I really like the physical act of moving pieces and interacting with people around the table. That said, I did get Triple Agent just to check it out.

If you can stomach a board/cardgame conversion, Race For The Galaxy is quality. One of my favorite boardgames, and a mostly very competitive AI.

Another +1 for Hoplite. Reigns is pretty great too, as is 80 days

There's a Halloween Mobile Bundle still available for the next week or so at Humble Bundle. Are any of these games worth a try? Apart from Beholder, I don't think I've even heard of any of them before.

$1+
    • DISTRAINT: Pocket Pixel Horror
    • Sanitarium
    • Dead Age

BTA ($4.43+)
    • Beholder
    • Bulb Boy
    • Rusty Lake Hotel

$5+
    • Fran Bow
    • Whispering Willows

Sanitarium is a fairly solid Point-n-Click Adventure from the '90s. No idea how well it was translated to mobile.

I have the regular board game at home (and Arkham Horror and Mansions of Madness and Eldritch Horror and so on). I don't know how I feel about board game apps. I really like the physical act of moving pieces and interacting with people around the table. That said, I did get Triple Agent just to check it out.
    Sure, it would be much better to play the real thing but it's still pretty entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    There's a Halloween Mobile Bundle still available for the next week or so at Humble Bundle. Are any of these games worth a try? Apart from Beholder, I don't think I've even heard of any of them before.
    Hmm... I wonder why it's a mobile bundle when all of them are available on Steam. Anyway, Sanitarium, Fran Bow and Rusty Lake are somewhat surreal point and clicks that are well worth playing, if you're into either weird adventure games or horror.

I really loved Deus Ex: The Fall on mobile. Yes, it was ridiculous to port it to PC, as it was so clearly designed to be a mobile experience - but as a mobile experience, it does a pretty awesome job bringing Human Revolution to a small touchscreen.

On that subject, I also enjoyed all 3 GO games. The Deus Ex one has a near infinite amount of content, between the weekly challenges and user maps.

I'll add a suggestion of my own: DATA WING, a minimalistic racing game with a story. It's pretty good and completely free, somehow.

Anyway, uninstalled Pixel Dungeon, as it's kind of awkward to play on a phone. Too easy to tap on the wrong square in a game with permadeath, especially in a moving vehicle. Seems like roguelikes are still best played on PC.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Hoplite - wonderful minimalist turn-based strategy.
    You is good people, henke.