TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

I downloaded a demo of Snipperclips to play with my wife and ended up buying it right away. You play as two adorable shapes with feet that can jump and duck and stretch, and when they overlap, they can snip away parts of each other to become scoops or spikes or levers or whatever, and you use that to solve silly problems like putting a frog in a pond or helping someone change a tire. I highly recommend this game for anyone who has one friend to play it with.

Moderator and Priest
    Also this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oQaqHihaYnnNsqG4_mwH6li-VcsqWNwOlL_17tOCqWs.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	2462

And Okami announced!!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Here's the whole thing:

I don't know man, it's looking a bit bleak. Bunch of ports of games I've already played and a few new games that I don't wanna play. I bought the Switch to play Mario, Zelda, Mario+Rabbids and Golf Story and now I'm almost done with those. Was hoping to find more interesting things along the way but the only other thing that's piqued my interest enough to get me to open my wallet has been Picross. After I'm done with Golf Story I fear my Switch might end up gathering dust for a while.

Moderator and Priest
    Octopath Traveler and the Crash Nsane Trilogy (I loved the original Crash Bandicoot way back when) were enough to get me plenty stoked.

I'd add Okami to the list, but DAMNIT, I bought it for PC just this Christmas.

Thing What Kicks
    New Smash could be well worth it though. The portability of the system could make for great lunchtime shenanigans at work.
    I never really buy Nintendo systems as platforms for a huge library of games, rather because I know that there'll be a very strong core of unmatched quality exclusives I won't be able to get on another system. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, those are the games that I look forward to from Ninty. The rest is gravy.

And I’m pretty sure none of you have bought Arms yet

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Octopath Traveler and the Crash Nsane Trilogy (I loved the original Crash Bandicoot way back when) were enough to get me plenty stoked.

I'd add Okami to the list, but DAMNIT, I bought it for PC just this Christmas.
    Buy it on everything...

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    Buy it on everything...
    I think I just might. I mean it's Okami. If there's one game worth spending a fuckton on, it's it.

Hell, I already bought it for the PS3, and barely played it. Just bought it on the computer, and barely played it. Maybe I'll actually play it again on the Switch.

Also, and speaking of the Switch, here's 2 minutes of Crash Bandicoot running on it.

I AM STOKED! STOKED! \m/

Level 10,000 achieved
    With all due respect, what exactly is the BIG WHOOP about these Crash Bandicoot games? I only played a little bit of it back in the late 90s, on my cousins' PS1. Hadn't Mario 64, with it's big open world and fun movement already come out by that point? Crash by contrast was stuck on narrow linear paths and, well, just didn't feel especially good to control. I don't get what people saw in it back then and I understand it even less now. Not trying to be a dick here, I'd really love to know what it is I've missed.

Moderator and Priest
    It came out around the same time as Mario64, when 3D was still something of a brand new thing, and not many people had that good of a handle on it.

In retrospect, it's a fairly simple game. Basically nothing more than a standard, though well done mascot platformer where you run into the screen (whoa) as often as you're running parallel to it. But at the time, its presentation made it feel fresh and exciting, and the graphics were second to none, even compared to Mario. It's probably one of the only polygon based games of that era that looks somewhat presentable even today.

I'll admit that there is a lot, and I mean a lot of nostalgia propping it up. But even without that bolstering them, the Crash series are still a bunch of fun games to play. If you like platformers, you'll probably like Crash Bandicoot.

I remember it having good atmosphere: lo-fi but lush graphics and good music. I didn’t love the gameplay.

Moderator and Priest
    I 100%'ed the original Crash, and loved every second of it. That was before they made it all wimpy, and allowed you to save your crate count at every checkpoint. You had to find and destroy every crate on every level with one life.

Though I wouldn't say the graphics were lo-fi during its day. Back when getting 4000 textured polys onscreen was a big deal, and you only had 3 meg of ram shared for video and game logic, Crash was the cutting edge of videogame graphics.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Portendo Switch remains the console's main identity.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

Excellent point, Eva.

Southquarter.com/fms
    So, Don't Starve is out this week for Switch, which is great for me (although I know probably no one else gives a hoot).

It would be nice to get more 1st party titles, but I see being plenty busy on this thing with Don't Starve, Dark Souls, Hyperlight Drifter, and Hollow Knight, hopefully all due out by summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    So, Don't Starve is out this week for Switch, which is great for me (although I know probably no one else gives a hoot).

It would be nice to get more 1st party titles, but I see being plenty busy on this thing with Don't Starve, Dark Souls, Hyperlight Drifter, and Hollow Knight, hopefully all due out by summer.
    I see that it contains a number of the spin-offs, but any idea if online play is coming with it? I mostly played it on mobile and enjoyed it, but dunno if I can justify spending the money on it again without a bit more added usefulness.
    Last edited by GamingDadOfFour; 18th Apr 2018 at 20:06.
    I have the best dad jokes.

Moderator and Priest
    I'll admit I don't know too much about the series, but I think it might just be singleplayer only. I believe Don't Starve Together is something of a separate entry, and I haven't read anything about multiplayer in the Switch rev.

Southquarter.com/fms
    The Switch release is single player only, but it comes with the two DLC expansions (Reign of Giants and Shipwrecked). There's another expansion due out later this year (Hamlet) but that will likely be a separate purchase. I suppose Don't Starve Together may come into the picture once Nintendo starts up their online service in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    The Switch release is single player only, but it comes with the two DLC expansions (Reign of Giants and Shipwrecked). There's another expansion due out later this year (Hamlet) but that will likely be a separate purchase. I suppose Don't Starve Together may come into the picture once Nintendo starts up their online service in the fall.
    That's disappointing. The mobile version comes with Reign of Giants, so getting the Switch version would really only get me Shipwrecked over what I already have now.
    Last edited by GamingDadOfFour; 18th Apr 2018 at 20:04.
    I have the best dad jokes.

Southquarter.com/fms
    No Virtual Console for the Switch:

https://kotaku.com/virtual-console-i...ays-1825848253

That's not to say they won't release selected titles on the eshop, but the overall feel I get is that they aren't putting as much effort into having a large library of vintage games available.

I still love my Wii U, if for nothing else than it's my de facto retro Nintendo emulator. I should probably go on one last shopping spree there before stuff starts disappearing.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

They're doing a "retro games Netflix" built into their online play subscription service instead.

Southquarter.com/fms
    That's only NES games I think, I don't that's a substitute for the VC.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast