TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Nintendo Switch

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

They will add more games over time. Gamecube games on Switch is a recurring rumour IIRC.

Moderator and Priest
    Thing is, does Nintendo even need the VC specifically anymore? There are already tons of Neo Geo games in the eShop, and SNK themselves are bringing some of their old arcade and NES titles out in a new collection here soon. Same with Sega, who's releasing some of their big Genesis/Megadrive games on the Switch.

Nintendo seems to be taking a "if you wanna release an old game, then release it" tact in regards to emulation.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    They will add more games over time. Gamecube games on Switch is a recurring rumour IIRC.
    I'm guessing there's no way they're just going to include that as part of the monthly service when they can charge you individually for them. The NES stuff is just throwaway, but they won't give something like Link to the Past or Super Mario Sunshine away. And based on how they priced Tropical Freeze for the Switch, they probably won't be cheap.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Thing is, does Nintendo even need the VC specifically anymore?
    You NEVER needed VC. I've been playing emulated 4-16 bit console games since I was 9 years old in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    The NES stuff is just throwaway, but they won't give something like Link to the Past or Super Mario Sunshine away. And based on how they priced Tropical Freeze for the Switch, they probably won't be cheap.
    Seems about right, Nintendo are a ridiculously anti-consumer company. They've been forcing people to buy the same ancient emulated games over and over again on new Nintendo platforms since 2007, they probably wouldn't stop now.

Southquarter.com/fms
    OK, but saying you never needed VC is like saying you never need to buy a car, just grab one off the street.

(And no, I'm no boy scout, I emulate shit all the time).

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Putting cloud saves behind a pay wall is a scummy, anti-consumer move. Especially so when Switch has no basic save backup facilities, i.e. copying to a SD card.

OK, but saying you never needed VC is like saying you never need to buy a car, just grab one off the street.

(And no, I'm no boy scout, I emulate shit all the time).
    Car analogies never work out well when discussing software.

Level 10,000 achieved
    No, it worked out pretty well. I got the point he was making, and I think you did too.

Chakat sex pillow
    YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR
    Case in point. It's leads to retarded comparisons which don't stand up because software by its nature is different to most physical items.

Playing all of those ROMs emulated when I was primary school lead me to buying a N64, Gameboy Colour and a Gamecube. Emulating ROMs got me interested in several console exclusive franchises which I legitimately patronised throughout my teens, well into adulthood. Several of those 16-bit games I pirated as a kid I bought legitimately later too.

Frankly by not re-buying some ancient SNES games several times over Wii, 3DS, Wii U, etc over however many iterations of Virtual Console there have been makes me a better consumer. You should be able to buy a game digitally ONCE and have it carry over an entire software ecosystem regardless of consumption hardware. I haven't been financially sending a message that it's okay to have to re-buy content that had already been purchased over and over.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 9th May 2018 at 16:03.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah yeah, it doesn't change the fact that you're getting something that's commercially sold without paying the creator for it, which is generally considered a dick move and/or not kosher with the law.

The legitimacy of the claim (in the case of 'there's no other way to play these games until Nintendo ports them over') does make it morally very grey in some instances, but legally and otherwise it's not up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Case in point. It's leads to retarded comparisons which don't stand up because software by its nature is different to most physical items.
    Analogies don't work by perfectly corresponding to the thing being compared. They work by highlighting an aspect or a similarity. And, like Henke said, everyone got the point Brethren was making.

Moderator and Priest
    The only games I bought through the VC back when I had my 3DS were Ninja Gaiden and Zelda 2. Strangely enough, I didn't own either of those games on the NES back when, though I did rent/borrow the hell out of them.

...and yes, were they to show up on the Switch, I'd buy Ninja Gaiden again in a heartbeat. That's not saying that Zelda 2 is a bad game, it's just not Ninja Gaiden.

I'd also buy Ninja Gaiden 2.

Moderator and Priest
    And Ninja Gaiden 3.

I have a fairly large collection of VC games on the Wii and WiiU, stuff like Super Metroid, Landstalker, FF3, Link to the Past, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger

Moderator and Priest
    I'm hoping Landstalker ends up in the Sega Ages collection at some point.

Hell yes, insta purchase for me, especially as it would have save states, which the Wii version lacks.

Southquarter.com/fms
    @Eva, you can dress it up however you want, but in the end it's piracy. You're illegally obtaining something that should be paid for. I'm not getting all self righteous or anything, and I'm sure 90% of gamers have done it at some point, mainly because it's just too easy and convenient.

So do you think buying Dark Souls on Steam means you should automatically get the rights to it on your PS4 too? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Moderator and Priest
    Rom piracy is weird in the sense that everyone does it, everyone knows everyone does it, and everyone pretty much admits to doing it, but it's something of an internet faux pas to try to justify it.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I know, look how big Mame is, there are dozens (hundreds?) of versions and forks and front ends and tools for it, and none of it means anything unless people go out and essentially steal the games.

Moderator and Priest
    Though with MAME, the majority of the games supported by it were made and distributed by developers and publishers who have been defunct for decades, and finding the boards for them would be like pulling hen teeth.

Yeah, it's still copyright infringement. Abandonware really isn't a legal thing. But hey, who's gonna sue you for it? Without MAME, these games would be lost to the winds.

Preserving games is a noble goal and I myself was a regular at HotU. But when the game became available to purchase, the download link also disappeared.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

So do you think buying Dark Souls on Steam means you should automatically get the rights to it on your PS4 too? Yeah, I didn't think so.
    Don't be ridiculous, again within the same software ecosystem. Xbox have a won a LOT of good will by letting people use their game discs to play X360/oXbox backward compatible games on Xbox 1.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456