TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What is the strangest or funniest way you got a job?

What is the strangest or funniest way you got a job?

Years ago I was being interviewed for a grounds keeping forman job at the Milner estate (she was a cousin to the Queen of England). At first she wasn't going to hire me partly because I had absolutely no experience and partly because I didn't know the difference between a cookie and a biscuit (in England they call cookies biscuits and I made the mistake of calling it a cookie). But then her dog jumped on my lap and she said it was very strange because he never goes to anyone and she decided to try me out for a day and see if I was right for the job (it wasn't really strange because I'm a dog magnate). Were it gets strange is how I wound up getting the full time job. The first job she gave me was to cut a huge lawn with a ridding lawnmower - I had just started when the house keeper came out and told me to stop. Then she informed me that Mrs Milner says I should be really careful because there are Fairies in the area and I jokingly said - well I haven't seen any fairies but there are a couple pixies by the pound. What I didn't know is that the house keeper had to go back to Mrs. Milner and tell her what I said. When she told Mrs.Milner what I said Mrs Milner said - of coarse he did you silly girl he's the type of man that knows the difference between a fairy and a pixie. A few minutes after that she sent her bookkeeper out with the papers I had to sign for the job. When Mrs. Milner died she left her estate to the University of BC - always thought that was way cool of her. If you google "Milner garden + Vancouver island" then go to "what's in bloom" you will find lots of photos of flowers that grow in the area. Cheers!

Moderator and Priest
    I thrill killed a transient once.

NOT PART OF THE HARMONY!!!

GAH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    But did anyone hire you based on your performance of this task?

No great hire stories but I will say the best job I ever had was as a coke hawker at Ole Miss football games when I was about 13. I made about $150 for less than two hours work. Still the most per hour I've ever made sadly. I didn't even do it for the money but to watch Archie Manning take us to victory. Those were some great games. The money paid for a lot of comic books also.

Great story Nanoose. I've never been lucky enough to work for the fun crazy type.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Me too but I buried mine in the peat moss bog then after 20 years I dug them up and called them Mummy (peat moss bogs have preserving properties). Cheers!

Still Subjective
    Vote to ban new member of limited value.

What's up with the backseat moderation, SubJeff? Here too.
    Nanoose also started the favourite tree thread which was quirky and fun and reached 25 replies.
    Not that members were usually banned here because of "limited value".

Yeah. Hell, I enjoy getting to read "from life" stories anyway. Getting stories out of this bunch is like pulling teeth.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    But did anyone hire you based on your performance of this task?
    No, Tocky. I did it for me.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Vote to ban new member of limited value.
    It's You're like a calmer and more diplomatic dethtoll. I thought we were beyond making TTLG a clique.
    Last edited by Brethren; 14th Nov 2017 at 15:50.

Moderator and Priest
    Nanoose is harmless fun. As long as we don't find out he's a robot who suddenly starts trying to sell us stuff after softening us up with all these weird threads, I see no reason to ban him.

What is the strangest or funniest item you would buy from our Amazon catalog?

Moderator and Priest
    Guess I gotta ban Trance now. BRB.

Ok this is a bit more braggy than weird but...

During the summer after my college freshman year, I was looking for my first job. I found a gig asking me to build a website. Sure, I dabbling a bit with HTML, no biggie right? I went for the first interview and learned they want a paid subscription user system with various quizzes / tests and tracking progress per user.

"yeah, sure I can do that"

I've never done any back-end web dev work at that point, so I spent a whole week reading documentations, learning, and coding. When we met next week, I presented them a full demo of the login interface and tracking some answers for the user. They were pretty impressed. And so, my completely unexpected career as a web dev / consultant began.

And the cherry on top? 10 years later, I am still working for them :]

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Ok this is a bit more braggy than weird but...

During the summer after my college freshman year, I was looking for my first job. I found a gig asking me to build a website. Sure, I dabbling a bit with HTML, no biggie right? I went for the first interview and learned they want a paid subscription user system with various quizzes / tests and tracking progress per user.

"yeah, sure I can do that"

I've never done any back-end web dev work at that point, so I spent a whole week reading documentations, learning, and coding. When we met next week, I presented them a full demo of the login interface and tracking some answers for the user. They were pretty impressed. And so, my completely unexpected career as a web dev / consultant began.

And the cherry on top? 10 years later, I am still working for them :]
    Thats a cool story - shows what a little determination can accomplish. Cheers!

How old are you out of curiosity Nanoose?

You're doing it wrong...

Nanoose, what was your favourite age so far?

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    How old are you out of curiosity Nanoose?
    I'm 6 -- (6 decades that is). Cheers!

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    It's You're like a calmer and more diplomatic dethtoll. I thought we were beyond making TTLG a clique.
    Don't compare me to him.

Vote to ban new member of limited value. Why?

Since when do we need a reason? Out with the new! In with the old!

Oh yeah, on topic, for my first webdev job I build a complete PHP application in one file (a football player grading system). I didn't know how to include other files. They hired me anyway.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    What's up with the backseat moderation, SubJeff? Here too.
    I'm giving my opinion. Is that okay with you?

I predicted a flood of threads and there are ten, started by that member, on the first page of Comm Chat.

Al's take on it is "That's enough new threads for now." so...

It's got nothing to do with cliques, and everything to do with thread spam. What next? What's your favourite out of the last 10 threads I started? Come on.