TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Almost 20 years of discussion

  1. #1
    New Member
    Registered: May 2006

    Almost 20 years of discussion

    We got nearly 20 years of active discussion about this series. I have noticed a die-down though, slightly premature of the 20 year mark. Do you think we have really exhausted every possible discussion? Even still, near two decades of meaningful talk should qualify Thief in the historical sense. The Thief series, IMO, is the pinnacle of the 3D stealth genre and is not likely to ever be recreated.

  2. #2
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2008
    Location: Slovakia - Zemplín region
    I think there are still interesting things to discuss. I might start a new thread about some aspect of the universe/lore in the near future.

    Just the other day, I actually took a look at some really old threads, from 1999. It was fascinating seeing the opinions from those early days of Thief's fandom. I even had a good laugh when I found one discussion that treated the idea of ghosting as something new and unorthodox. Haha, good times. For better or worse (but mostly for the better), Thief's community has come a long way in those nearly 20 years.

  3. #3
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2014
    Try the Thief Fan Missions section if you are looking for livelier discussion - the forums aren't dead by any stretch

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: Berghem Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by Petike the Taffer View Post
    For better or worse (but mostly for the better)
    For better!

    I remember SO CLEARLY my discussions with my RL friends about Thief in the '98 summer

  5. #5
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2014
    Location: Dunwall
    The discussion will probably only end when we the world gets nuked or something. As long as ttlg exists people will discuss about Thief, no doubt about that

  6. #6
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2014
    If people can still discuss TV shows from as far back as the 60s, I'd say the Thief community is just fine plus the Thief games have tons of little details to find in them.

  7. #7
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2012
    Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
    The fact that the Thief community has lasted this long is honestly amazing and very impressive and not many other games have fanbases that stick around this long or that are as dedicated so I'd say for being around for almost 20 years it's still going well

  8. #8
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Location: Southern,California
    yes the amount of abuse i take for not spelling correct/punctuation on this site ,give credit to how good thief truly is :P


    may we all last another 20 more years

  9. #9
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2011
    It was clear from beginning that Thief is a very special game that will unite the introverts of the world for decades.

  10. #10
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: Berghem Haven
    The introverts? No man, or NOT ONLY them.

  11. #11
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2011
    Garrett is reclusive introvert posterboy and most of us identify with him to some extent, hence Thief is not household franchise because most people are extroverts.

  12. #12
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Most people are not extraverts. It only seems that way because extraverts stand out. Thief is not a big franchise because stealth does not have mass appeal as a genre.

  13. #13
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: Berghem Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Most people are not extraverts. It only seems that way because extraverts stand out.
    You say it, man!
    Or because they try to be so in order to achieve something.

  14. #14
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGuy101 View Post
    The fact that the Thief community has lasted this long is honestly amazing and very impressive and not many other games have fanbases that stick around this long or that are as dedicated so I'd say for being around for almost 20 years it's still going well
    Even back in the day when it came out, you had to be dedicated to play and enjoy this game. I never knew no one in Portugal that liked to play this game

    Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2012
    Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Ev0luti0n_ View Post
    Even back in the day when it came out, you had to be dedicated to play and enjoy this game. I never knew no one in Portugal that liked to play this game

    Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
    Yeah same with where I live. Nobody I know plays Thief and some don't even know what it is when I tell them about it. That's why it's great we have the TTLG forums and why I'm grateful it's been kept up for so long and will hopefully have many more years to come for discussion

  16. #16
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    I actually think we'd already exhausted all discussion back in 2001-02, and people kept coming back to perennial topics. If we kept talking then, we can keep talking now.

  17. #17
    New Member
    Registered: May 2006
    Back in 1998 I bought Flight Simulator '98 and a bunch of demo games came on one of the discs. I even remember Tomb Raider being on there as well. But something about the Thief demo (which included a truncated version of Lord Bafford's Manor) captivated me like none other. I was 12 years old back then and definitely happened to be an introvert. I got my friend into the game and all he really was interested in doing was killing servants and guards and dumping their bodies in the kitchen fireplace. So I bought the game and went at it alone and the rest is history. It was the type of experience that helped define a part of my childhood that I view with deep nostalgia. To this day I feel the same. I am now most confident that no other series will be able to move my soul in the way that this one has. I really hope this keeps going, and then I can come back and say "Well, TDP was released 40 years ago today".

    demagogue: You're right. This place was in it's prime back in '01-'02 and I think there was a huge rush of information being exchanged during that period that pretty much wrapped up both TDP and TMA. Then came the third installment TDS in 2004 which expanded the discussion quite a bit.

  18. #18
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2011
    Location: Wild and Wooly West of Ireland
    A true classic blast from the past...
    The Plungerites!

  19. #19
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Purgator View Post
    A true classic blast from the past...
    The Plungerites!
    Yep that was brilliant thread.Any more like this folks?.

  20. #20
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2011
    Location: Wild and Wooly West of Ireland
    Last edited by Purgator; 20th Nov 2017 at 16:31.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •