TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What's your favorite sound that you don't get to hear too often?

What's your favorite sound that you don't get to hear too often?

For me it's the sound of 100's of motorcycles roaring up Nanoose hill. Ever year bike riders from all over Canada get together and do a Christmas toy run on the Rock (Vancouver Island). Nanoose hill is long and steep so by the time they get to the top their engines are roaring like thunder . Cheers and happy weekend!

Moderator and Priest
    The sound of large hams slapping together in a gentle spring breeze, backed by the sound of wind chimes.

The sound of 24 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup at the start of the race at Hockenheimring, when you are there and experiencing it live. Glorious, ahhhhhhh!

The sound of car tires on a wooden bridge. I haven't heard that for decades now.

Renz has a smokehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    The sound of large hams slapping together in a gentle spring breeze, backed by the sound of wind chimes.
    What's the sound of one ham slapping?

The low steady rumble of a Blue Star ferry engine hammering through the Aegean sea towards the next island.

Zombified
    the sound of silence.

Living in a quiet suburb of a big city and hearing the faint noise of cars and motorcycles speeding up on a distant highway during cloudy and rainy nights.

I just remembered that in Japanese there is an onomatopoeia for the sound of silence. It was originally created by the manga artist Tezuka Osamu but it's common now.
    This what it sounds like (weirdly close to "sooooooon") and this is how it looks written down.
    Those wacky Japanese, am I right?

ZylonBane
    What's the sound of Nanoose starting a new thread? Well whatever it is... the opposite of that.

I'll play along for a second.

What sound do I miss? The sound (or close to) of silence. By silence I don't mean dead silent, no sound at all. But when all you hear is just almost nothing. Why do I miss it? Because after working in call centers for around 8 years earlier on in life I've developed Tinnitus in my right ear. Luckily I only hear the ringing when there is no other sounds going on. So generally when I'm trying to get to sleep. It nearly drove me crazy when it first started, but I gradually adjusted to it and learned to tune it out. So yes, I miss the sound of silence as I'll likely never "hear" that again.

Having loud pop-ins of high pitch sounds come through the head sets in call centers does wonders for the ears over the years.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    What's the sound of Nanoose starting a new thread? Well whatever it is... the opposite of that.
    I knew there was something sarcastic to say in this vein and couldn't quite get it into words.

Careful Nanoose, there is a limit to how many random question threads we can deal with. I'll start merging them into "Nanoose's silly questions".

I love the sound of two Pratt & Whitney R1820 radials in the morning

I vote that this thread may be merged with the impressions thread and then everyone has to do a vocal impression of their favourite sound. Obviously.

Dethtoll lives on. Long live the plane.

Whoooosh!

I miss the sound of a big ocean storm hitting Portreath beach.

I miss the sound of falling snow.