TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief Gold: weird sounds during gameplay

Thief Gold: weird sounds during gameplay

Hello, I'm playing Thief gold with the latest unofficial patch and I'm experiencing weird issue: in some places there are strange sounds (from crackling and clicking to siren-like) that shouldn't be there.
    I have tried EAX on and off but it didn't help.
    My sound card is audigy 2 zs platinum pro (10+ years old sound card) on Windows 10.
    No issues whatsoever in other games.

anyone experienced something similar?

also, how can I enable Aureal A3D sound in Thief 1 ? I remember enabling it in Thief 2 but same technique doesn't work in Thief 1 or at least I'm not hearing any difference. I tried enabling it by installing A3D-live.exe and openal and then running game sound through hardware Openal, with EAX off, which should enable A3D. But really doesn't sound as it should. Please share your experience!!!

Hi there ^^

Well that sounds like a weird issue indeed
    Are you sure those aren't sounds related to various events that Windows or hardware monitoring programs detect (like, the alarm might be due to some component reaching a rather high temperature while gaming)?
    Can you perhaps record a video of a playing session where that happens and post a link to it?

Thanks for the reply! Yes I'm sure those sounds are from the game because like I said they are positional - when I move camera around, they are heard in different sides. They are also louder/weaker depending on my distance to them I think.
    I tried recording with Fraps but it had no sound.
    I tried recording with Wondershare Filmora, but it somehow didn't register the game, as in, it showed the desktop when I was in game.
    Any other ways I could record the sound ? Perhaps some easy lightweight sound recording software?

Zombified
    make sure no enhancements are enabled on your dedicated sound card.

I think with FRAPS you should set the audio recording mode to WDM and select "What You Hear" as the source. The Audigy 2 doesn't really have WASAPI drivers.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristijonas View Post
    Perhaps some easy lightweight sound recording software?
    Audacity can record speaker output. There are some tutorials how to this.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    In Audacity, you set the recording source to "Stereo Mix" and it will record whatever is being played through the speakers.

I tried everything - recording sound when OpenAl is selected as hardware acceleration - no sound is recorded. Sound is recorded when I set OpenAl off in the game.
    The sound issues I have are only present with OpenAl in the game so I can't even show you the problem Wish I had a smartphone to film the issue with lol

Using ALchemy + EAX isn't an option? I mean it should basically do the same but might be less buggy.

Also, if Audacity supports ASIO you can capture the output there too. Inputs 3+4 are the front L and R outputs IIRC.