TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Temporary damages?

Temporary damages?

Hi taffers,

I'm looking for a way to create temporary damages in DromEd.
    I was thinking about having one area which inflicts constant damages to the player with safe spots in it, that would restore the player's health, but I'm pretty sure it will feel off to have one RestoreStim in the middle of a big damage stim.

So I'm looking for either a way to inflict temporary damages (with damages disappearing with another stim) or a way to reduce/increase the player's max health on command. Any idea how I could pull that out? I'd be more interested in the max health option, but I know I can't really afford to be picky with DromEd

There's a limit to what will be displayed onscreen even if you increase the max health, and I doubt it would update on the fly anyway.

You could have something attached to the player that restores health, upon contact with the damage trigger and remove the link after enough time to restore health fully. But any system is going to run into the problem of what happens if the player is already damaged. There's no way to differentiate between different damage types once they've already affected the player's health.

I'm assuming we're talking about some sort of poison gas kinda scenario, so would it be feasible to just have timer-based visual effects, e.g. make the screen green and play a choking sound effect, but not affect the player health, until the player is still affected by it after x amount of time, and then kill them outright. Not sure exactly how you'd set that up, but it's surely possible.

Use a room brush trigger to determine when the player is inside or outside of the damage zone.

Upon TurnOn, start a timer which fires every couple of seconds and sends the appropriate damage stim to the player and increments a counter by one.
    Upon TurnOff, stop that timer and start another one which sends a restore stim to the player if the counter is non-zero, and then decrements the counter by one.

Should have known there'd be a simple, yet ingenious solution.

I knew there'd be a way to do this, thanks for the answers guys, I'll just need to get up to date with stims now