TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thief: The Dark Project 20th Anniversary Contest!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    You can also create new ambient loops as long as the source material is exclusively T1G ambient sounds. I've already been playing a little with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    C'est dommage. I love to use custom stuff...
    I do too, but this is a nice change. However this might not be the right contest for you.

Oh no, vanilla stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    You can also create new ambient loops as long as the source material is exclusively T1G ambient sounds. I've already been playing a little with that.

I do too, but this is a nice change. However this might not be the right contest for you.
    I love this kind of TDP/Gold missions they are my favorite ones, Skacky and Melan have done great examples of it, but when i get my hands to work i can't avoid using custom stuff, it's stronger than me, my participation it's something to think about, still i´m already working currently on something that approaches TDP/Gold style using custom stuff .

DRK,ça c'est une très bonne idée, i will try to do some changes with the thief 1 textures using photoshop and see if i can do something new...

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Voting criteria will most probably be the usual quality, adherence to the theme and fun factor.
    Just to clarify, does this mean that using custom resources (or T2 assets) is allowed, but we lose points for it?

The opening post makes it seem like we're forbidden from using custom (or T2) assets. But, if that's the case, then judging submissions based on adherence doesn't make much sense to me---presumably all submissions would receive 10/10 on this, if departures from the theme are forbidden. Skacky's subsequent post therefore leads me to conclude that custom assets are *strongly discouraged* but not forbidden.

Could you please provide some clarity on this? Thanks!

Whereabouts can one find an up to date download of Dromed 1?

omg so many amazing authors are going to be making missions ,all i have to do is survive long enough to play them

super happy to hear bbb is making one

and i hope cardia trys a one also and yes i understand its hard to not use external graphics but i will offer my consulting services for free to help you with a idea and etc,just let me know,thief 1 was my fav

Keyla the Otter
    Oh man, this is heaven to me!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    Just to clarify, does this mean that using custom resources (or T2 assets) is allowed, but we lose points for it?

The opening post makes it seem like we're forbidden from using custom (or T2) assets. But, if that's the case, then judging submissions based on adherence doesn't make much sense to me---presumably all submissions would receive 10/10 on this, if departures from the theme are forbidden. Skacky's subsequent post therefore leads me to conclude that custom assets are *strongly discouraged* but not forbidden.

Not to speak for skacks as I'm sure he'll be along, but I'm virtually certain by adherence he didn't mean to imply you can use any custom assets (T2 or otherwise) other than those exceptions laid out in the OP as he's made that very clear in posts here and offline. I'm sure he will explain what he meant by it.

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    Whereabouts can one find an up to date download of Dromed 1?
    Unless you're a masochist or an absolute purist, you should use the latest version of NewDark Dromed for T2 (which also works in T1) and take advantage of a much better editor than the OldDark T1 Dromed.

What do I need to do in order to make a TG mission using Dromed 2, then? From my very limited experience, I remember it defaulting to saving as files for use in T2.

I love this contest idea. Maybe using stock will just help focus on game play creativity.

This is a good question. I have try to start dromed 1 and I have some problems, first the screen is to small, when I edit the screen on user. Cfg I can't load cow or other stuff. Dromed is crashing. Can I use tafferpatcher also for dromed 1?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Here is one way to get a Thief Gold Dromed environment going, I believe this should work:

1. Install Thief 1 or Gold.
    2. Update with Tfix. (Keep in mind, if installing just for the contest, you'll want to uncheck everything since only stock resources are allowed)
    3. Install the Dromed Toolkit.
    4. Grab the latest copy of New Dark and extract the contents of "editor.zip" into your Thief directory.

With each step, you should overwrite any previously existing files.

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post

Use of external resources other than those specifically mentioned in the rules is forbidden. That means you can't use T2 assets except the moon and stars provided as well as voice lines if you wish. Adherence to the theme might not have been the best way to describe what I meant; respect of the rules would be more accurate.

Many Members are joining this contest. This will be a battle royal. I join the contest.

Good luck everyone! I will certainly have to pass this one, but I'll have something ready for the 20th Anniversary anyway, just not for the contest - it's a subject of my own interest. Or more like a reimagining of the TG mission, you guess which one .

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Here is one way to get a Thief Gold Dromed environment going, I believe this should work:

1. Install Thief 1 or Gold.
    2. Update with Tfix. (Keep in mind, if installing just for the contest, you'll want to uncheck everything since only stock resources are allowed)
    3. Install the Dromed Toolkit.
    4. Grab the latest copy of New Dark and extract the contents of "editor.zip" into your Thief directory.

With each step, you should overwrite any previously existing files.
    It seems to have worked- thanks!

Wow. I'd love to join. I've never made anything in a level editor before. Guess I'll have to at least try

Oh wow ... this contest was unexpected, but I totally love the idea.
    Funny thing is, I'm still in the process of building a T1/TG FM, but I think it will be disqualified for the contest. I'm using stock textures and nearly all objects are stock objects, but I added some other (low poly) objects. So not even T2 models, but I think it doesn't matter. Maybe I will make one additional FM just for this contest (because now I'm not (nearly) alone anymore with the creation of T1/TG FM ... yey )

T1/G has still a unique feel, that T2 can never capture - even if it's mostly the same game. Maybe it is the stock resource look of the old FMs and OMs, mixed with a good portion of nostalgia. (T2 is still pretty damn good). And I always believed the light engine in T1/G is darker, grittier and therefore more accurate for a perfect Thief atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenus1 View Post
    I love this contest idea. Maybe using stock will just help focus on game play creativity.
    That's actually a really good point. I always want a good old Thief gameplay experience with tons of sneaky Thief stuff just like in the OMs. Many map creators make awesome cool stuff with textures, objects and sound and even genres, but I always have a feeling the traditional Thief gameplay falls short in the process.

Anyways, nice contest skacky!
    I hope it brings many people to play T1/TG FMs again and many map creators to build awesome FMs! ^^

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Attention contestants: If you use NVScript but are new to Dromeding with T1, like me, you will need to grab this version of NVScript and also include it in your mission ZIP: https://nameless.zanity.net/nvscript...ript125-T1.zip

That ZIP file does not contain NVDebug for T1, which you can grab here if you use it (and you're crazy if you don't): http://nameless.zanity.net/nvscriptb...f1/NVDebug.osm

Oh raspberries. Here I have been making a TG styled T2 FM for the greater part of a year! Good luck everyone!

I'll just throw this in here for discussion:

I played several old, classic Thief 1 FMs over the weekend, and while trying to pinpoint how and why they feel so different to Thief 2, Thief 2 FMs and most modern FMs in general, I kept coming back to one tangible constant across all the different FMs: the lack of colored lighting. But NewDark makes colored lighting available in Thief 1 missions.

In keeping strictly with the theme... maybe colored lighting shouldn't be allowed in contest entries? It's just an idea... feel free to tell me to buzz off.

Southquarter.com/fms
    It's a fair point to bring up, just like how optional and secret objectives aren't allowed because they didn't exist in T1G.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    What I am finding while starting on my entry - which is my first foray into Dromed for T1 - is that the restriction to use only T1G resources makes colored lighting all but superfluous, because of the richly saturated stock textures and singular palette.

Just starting replaying Thief 1, and yes it's a other style as thief 2. I also started for my Contest FM, this will be a challenge to switch from thief 1 dromed to dromed 2.
    And no this Contest FM is not part of Acideus Saga, it's a classic Mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    It's a fair point to bring up, just like how optional and secret objectives aren't allowed because they didn't exist in T1G.
    Didn't "The Haunted Cathedral" have an optional objective, technically speaking? If you go to the Keeper Chapel before the Eye tells you to, then you read the book about where the talismans are hidden, the objective to go to the cathedral gets crossed out.

So even though T1 DromEd lacks the ability to mark an objective as optional, it should still be possible to have an "optional" objective (I think) by using a QVarTrap to nullify said objective at a certain point. Or whatever LGS did to pull it off.