TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thief: The Dark Project 20th Anniversary Contest!

Southquarter.com/fms
    - Remember that Thief 1 doesn’t support optional objectives! All objectives are mandatory as soon as they're activated!
    There's a difference between activating/deactivating objectives, and optional ones. The THC one is deactivated, the one in Undercover (killing Bugbeasts) is activated. Neither one is optional, which would be an active objective that the player can decide if they want to complete or not without affecting the success of the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I played several old, classic Thief 1 FMs over the weekend, and while trying to pinpoint how and why they feel so different to Thief 2, Thief 2 FMs and most modern FMs in general, I kept coming back to one tangible constant across all the different FMs: the lack of colored lighting. But NewDark makes colored lighting available in Thief 1 missions.

In keeping strictly with the theme... maybe colored lighting shouldn't be allowed in contest entries? It's just an idea... feel free to tell me to buzz off.
    I agree with that. And I also noticed that even all standard lights in Thief 2 (like the electric wall light) are slightly colored. They appear to be darker and go into purple compared to the Thief 1 ones which are bright white light. I guess that's also responsible, why T1/G have much more contrast between light and dark areas than Thief 2.

About the optional goals:
    I never read a rule that prevents optional goals. I only read a notice at the end, that optional goals are simply not possible and we should keep that in mind while planning the map.
    In my resent T1/TG FM 'Project Hammer - Secret connections' I used a fake optional goal to allow only a certain number of knock outs. I ticked it off as successful right at the start of the Map. So you can beat the mission with all objectives successful or the knock out optional goal gets grayed out when you knock out more.
    That's at least one work around to create a fake optional goal and that's certainly possible with the ruleset of this contest.

One last note on the collaboration rule:
    Is it the first contest to allow it? (I'm usually not so into FM contests)
    I find it slightly off that one can team up with several others to get an advantage over only one creator. But even if collaboration isn’t allowed, no one could prove if everything was made by himself in that timespan. Either way, the fact that we create awesome maps should matter, not who win the first/second/third place.

To be specific: "optional" goals are certainly not forbidden, it's just that T2-like optional goals are not feasible in TG, or at least not easily.
    Colored lighting is allowed mostly because the NewDark .gam has LightColor attributes from the get go.

Re: collaborations: this isn't the first contest to allow them. However since this contest is all stock this will prevent scenarios where you have a team or two that produce incredibly good looking missions that get more attention than a regular mission. This limitation is also a good way to put an emphasis on actually well-designed missions.

EDIT: You can find a thread with allowed custom resources here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2378245
    Last edited by skacky; 4th Dec 2017 at 20:46.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Re: collaborations: this isn't the first contest to allow them. However since this contest is all stock this will prevent scenarios where you have a team or two that produce incredibly good looking missions that get more attention than a regular mission. This limitation is also a good way to put an emphasis on actually well-designed missions.
    Fair enough I guess. The limitation on stock resources and emphasis on actually well-designed missions is also the main reason why I like this contest so much. I hope many FMs authors contribute to this and can actually finish their work in time (live can be shitty sometimes, 1 year isn't enough sometimes)

The idea to share all made resources is also a great way to help those creators not so good in editing textures/models etc.

About the colored light issue:
    Maybe everyone should know, that if they want to build a true original Thief 1/Gold FM, they shouldn't used colored lights. (or very very few)

I've updated the resource archive to include more reskinnable meshes I forgot to include. They are:
    - Male Actor
    - Constantine guards (Swordsman and Bowman)
    - Hermit
    - Keeper
    - Mage
    - Ramirez
    - Thief guards (Swordsman and Bowman)

Ok guys...thanks to some very convincing people, I'm officially in. And I'm scared already, knowing very well what I am getting myself into. Last night I opened DromEd for the first time in nearly six years, and I felt clumsier than a baby on Doc Martens.
    The journey begins. So much old stuff to re-learn, and so much new stuff to get my head around.

HUZZAHHHH!!!

Classical Master 2008
    Excellent!

Before this contest, the last time I seriously opened Dromed was in 2009, so six years is pretty good.
    Oh well. It's quiet enough now.