TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Thief: The Dark Project 20th Anniversary Contest!

Is it legal to plug small areas of OMs into the fan missions?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Yes that is fine, I'm doing it myself.

I guess I am a maybe at this point. I am a slow builder and donít think Ibwill make the deadline. That being said, I have made some good progress lately and I am gaining momentum. At the same time, I know the closer you get to finishing a mission, the slower the progress (or at least that is my experience).

The good news is I will finish a TG mission, but it may not happen until the befinning of 2019. If I miss the deadline, I will probably stop building until I play all the missions - will be a kid in a candy shop! If we get 10 missions on time, that will be terrific.

keep going bbb you are one of my top 5 fav mission authors,i just feel lucky you making a mission and we all will get to play it,if you miss contest its ok we all know you put alot of exploration in your missions,and that takes time so what ever happens we got your back

Would it be admissible to use a stock NPC texture but alter / modify the symbol on the chest?

For example, if I open the hammerite in photoshop and add a symbol to the breast, is that a stock derivative?

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    If the symbol is made from a stock texture, it's fine. If you draw something new or put an existing symbol outside of the original game, then it isn't allowed from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    If the symbol is made from a stock texture, it's fine. If you draw something new or put an existing symbol outside of the original game, then it isn't allowed from what I understand.
    Yeah, that's the bit I'm hazy on.
    If I open an original texture and sample pixels from it but arrange it as a new symbol, is it still allowed? Where is this line? :P

The idea I was considering was basically what I asked - taking the original Hammerite skin and putting a different symbol on it to create a different denomination within the order.

I think the new bit needs to be recognizable as derived from another stock texture, not just grabbing random pixels and arranging them into something, which essentially makes it custom. If you can find a symbol somewhere (check out some of the barely/unused banner textures) in stock textures you could use it for the new faction's uniform.

I just wanted to say that if any FM author needs a briefing for his mission, just send me a private message and I will send you samples of my work. I have my experience with video making/editing, so I'll be happy to help.
    Last edited by Aemanyl; 5th Aug 2018 at 04:10.

Are any of the T20 mission authors ready (or nearly ready) with their mission books?

The translators over at shadowbox are kicking their heels and are keen to help out anybody who would like their mission translated.

You can contact either myself or Athalle via a PM and we'll happily help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Today, I've been trying to get a status from all the authors who I'm aware of through private conversation, or who posted screens in the screenshot thread. Here's what I have so far:

No
    Brethren
    Random_Taffer (unless merged w/Yandros' mission)
    goldwell

Maybe
    skacky & Squadafroinx
    Tannar & PukeyBee
    bbb

Probably
    JarlFrank, marbleman and FrenchDecay
    SneakyGuy101
    Grandmauden
    vfig
    StinkyKitty & McTaffer

And Yes
    Yandros (may merge w/R_T's mission)
    DrK
    Melan
    Firemage
    Mystery Author
    Le MAlin 76
    GORT
    vegetables
    Haplo

Need to confirm
    SilverJackal
    -Terra-
    Phantom
    mtk

If you are working on a mission and are not on the list or are in the wrong category, or you are in the "Need to confirm" category (which means you probably posted screenshots here but I haven't spoken to you recently), please either post here or PM me with the status of your contest mission. I will update the list above as I hear from people.
    Put me Down as a "Yes" Yandros.

Great to hear that! Thanks for the update. Love the new screens too!

I'm assuming that since we can use custom scripts, we are also allowed to use .MTL files to re-scale textures, right?

Yeah, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be allowed.

Can't find a suitable ambient track for the interior of my hotel! All the available tracks are so eerie, while my hotel is the exact opposite. It is a jolly place. Any suggestions?
    At least I could use the wind and crickets for the courtyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    Can't find a suitable ambient track for the interior of my hotel! All the available tracks are so eerie, while my hotel is the exact opposite. It is a jolly place. Any suggestions?
    At least I could use the wind and crickets for the courtyard.
    Maybe rising.wav in some of the rooms with subson3.wav (the one used only in Song of the Caverns) as main ambience. There's algo moogbeet.wav.

I'd say thloop1 would fit in a hotel. It's not too eerie

Thanks guys. I was already using "rising". I'll check the rest out again.

If you're not averse to making your own schemas, try the later fb wavs - there are some calm-sounding ones that sound more like Thief 2.

Given this contest rule:

Contestants can use the base street sign texture provided in the optional resource pack to name their street(s)
    Can the base street sign texture be used to create other things besides street names? For example, we have a hotel and would like there to be room numbers. We don't want to get too far afield from the intended use, but thought there might not be too much of a difference between naming streets and naming rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    we have a hotel and would like there to be room numbers.
    I can't speak to the rules, but don't forget there are models for digits 1-9 and a 10 under physical/Decorative/Graffiti/Numbers that might be useful here.

Yeah this is fine by me. Not really the intended purpose but it'd be daft to forbid that.

Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    I can't speak to the rules, but don't forget there are models for digits 1-9 and a 10 under physical/Decorative/Graffiti/Numbers that might be useful here.
    Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Yeah this is fine by me. Not really the intended purpose but it'd be daft to forbid that.
    Thanks, vfig, we had completely forgotten about those numbers! For some reason we thought they were only in T2. And thank you, skacky, we appreciate the consideration. We'll just go with the stock number objects and leave the sign for streets.

Hi folks,

My name is Rick and I'm a freelance journalist. I'm working with PC Gamer Magazine on a feature celebrating the 20th anniversary of Thief: The Dark Project. As part of that feature, we want to run a section on fan-made maps for TDP. Since TTLG is running this 20th anniversary competition, I wondered if any of you making maps for the competition might be willing to answer a few questions about your process for designing new maps for Thief, working with DromED, and why you enjoy making maps for the game in general.

If you'd be interested in seeing your work in the magazine, feel free to drop me a private message, and we'll take it from there.

Thanks!

I got this error when trying to send you a PM: "RLane87 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast