TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New T2 NewDark FM - Precarious Business (Dec. 6, 2017)

Nice mission. i´m wandering if there is a key for the front door somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by caqo View Post
    Nice mission. i´m wandering if there is a key for the front door somewhere
    I'm pretty sure it's on the guard standing outside the front door.

I got some time to play your mission.

*Small review with spoilers*

It's awesome you choose a T1/TG style FM in T2 and it worked out great! Really like the overall style of the FM, although the city part was a little bit too dragged out for so little to do.
    Even the famous Thief 1 city town music can get repetitive, when it is always played, not changed often (there are 3 different street tracks to mix) and you try to search every corner in hope to find something. The empty city in the original assassin mission worked so well, because you only chased the bad guy and it was obvious you shouldn't look for secrets there.

But the city map layout was really interesting. You actually start right beside the manor, but you have to walk a big circle in the city to reach it. And I don't know what's wrong with the self-made map. It's awesome. Especially because it's not too detailed like T2 maps and you have to analyze it a bit with the compass to get used to.
    Also appreciate the two ways to break into the manor and the manor was really well designed. Also, some well dropped hints - like the deaf guard on 3th floor - helped to get some useful in game tips from reading all the text.

The crypt was also very surprising to stumble across and had a good bonehoard vibe to it. ^^

Sure, there are some misplaced textures, some city buildings aren't well shaped or you got inaccessible loot (find_obj 1017 and 1018) to prevent 100% completion, but for a first released FM is was really well made. Especially because you had to learn Dromed first and that is not easy and time consuming. Really appreciate the work and I hope to see more stuff from you.
    It's always a pleasure to see new creators after all those years the Thief games exists.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 11th Dec 2017 at 13:05. Reason: altered the spoiler alert to make it more visible

There is a dedicated review thread for such reviews. This thread is more concerned with gameplay questions.

Hmm, of course I don't want to post something into the wrong thread, but I always thought it would be logical to give direct feedback to the author in his own thread.

I know of the big review mega thread, but it seems not so personal to write a review there and my English isn't so top notch that I can write good review pieces. It also seems more like a more objective approach to review a FM, not just a quick subjective one like the one I did here.
    It was just a quick note to the author of things I personally liked/disliked about his mission and gave some overall feedback on things I remember.

Often than not I play FMs without writing some feedback to the authors. But being a FM creator myself and created FMs well in the past I know how good it feels to receive feedback of any form from the community. And the easy logical way is to post in the creators FM thread, isn't it?

I think posting that small review here was just fine. Feel free to also post it in the Reviews thread. A piece doesn't have to be huge to be worthwhile and your English is quite good.

I'll just be more careful when casually scrolling through FM release threads in the future, lest I get an eyeful of spoiler.

DarkThief posting his review in this thread was exactly the right thing to do, because his review is directed to the author of this mission.
    The purpose of the Megathread, however, is mainly to share thoughts and reviews among the community of players.
    And also with authors in general, but basicly to give them a general idea what players appreciate or typically struggle with.
    At least that is how I see it.

Fair point.
    Mini reviews in release threads are a more recent phenomenon. However, there is the danger of accidentally reading a nugget of information that you would have rather found out yourself. As I said, eyes peeled in the future. Back to the game!

Is it possible to enter the area with the keeper?

Phelin; It is not, however, that Keeper will play a role in the upcoming events I've planned

Thanks for the mini-review! I've learned my lesson on just making a facade and am drafting ideas for newer stuff as we speak!

Just installed this FM with NewDarkLoader on a fresh T2 installation and got this with AIs. They seem to be disabled... I can't play this FM

Last edited by EnYB0La; 11th Dec 2017 at 03:32.
    Enhanced Thief Fan Missions Archive (ETFMA): [TTLG thread]
    DromEd Level Editor Developer Textures Kit (DLETDK): [TTLG thread]

Very well done for a first time mission. It felt very familiar to Assassins in the city section. I enjoyed the straightforward objectives and lack of key/switch hunting. It would be a small improvement to add a little more ai and places to explore in the city, but I think you're real close without going overboard.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Really enjoyed this solid mission, great throwback feel and a good first mission. I agree with others that the city areas felt a bit empty, but the feel was very reminiscent of T1. The crypt area was totally spot on, though! Great job, I look forward to your next effort.

I really enjoyed this one, as it's made with player in mind. There's a bit of exploration, a bit of "mansion cleaning"; sensible number of guards and patrol routes; readables are short and to-the-point, and they only hint backstories, as they should. It was a very pleasant 1+ hour of casual thievery for me, thank you.

You also value your players' precious time (no backtracking), and it seems like you want to be a gameplay designer first, and not some unfulfilled writer (as quite a few veteran FM makers seem to be). Good luck with your future missions, I'm looking forward to playing your next one

You should update the OP title to include the release date.

Congratulations on the first release.

Unfortunately, too "old style" gameplay, architecture and resources for my taste, so I was bored quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurhhan View Post
    too "old style" gameplay, architecture and resources
    I understand the differnece between "old style" and "new/modern" architecture and resources, but what is "new/modern" style gameplay? Is exploring, sneaking, and stealing things out of fashion?

Loved this - it reminded me of other "new-but-old-school" missions like scacky's, where Garrett just needs cash, and intrudes on the lives of ordinary citizens (via "regular unexciting jobs"). Some of the readables were a hoot, like the mystery fountain-profaner. The city-wandering did feel a bit empty, but hey, it's night, and it's a quiet bit of town

I had a great time with this mission. Didn't expect the crypt section at all, and that part was very well done to boot. I saw the obvious secret opening in the hammer room but couldn't open it for quite a while. When lighting a suspiciously-looking torch in a corridor didn't help, I figured the solution HAD to be in that same room. Cranked up the gamma 8 steps above what's normal for me, and saw the switch.

The mansion feels so very cosy. It isn't one of those huge monstrosities that are common in the Thiefverse (don't get me wrong, they have their charms, too) but rather a place I felt I would have liked staying in.
    I counted three ways to get inside, that was nice touch.

I have one burning question, though: how the heck did that other archer get inside the little overlook he was standing in?

@Covetous Carcass: Where is that readable? I must have missed it.

Really excellent first FM - thanks!

This properly felt like a throwback - like this was a Fan Mission made 15 years ago. This is not a criticism - you captured the style and atmosphere perfectly. I really enjoyed this one.

Thank you all again. I do plan on fixing the textures, pick distance of THAT switch and the loot that I forgot to make not loot that ended up unfrobbable.

EnYBOLa, I'm sorry to hear that the file isn't working for you. I honestly don't think any of my testers told me what they were using for loading up the file, but none reported this issue ever. Perhaps if you tried FMSel? I could get newdarkloader myself and see what could be the problem

jiansonz; Dromed secret I'm afraid..

nicked; Thank you, your superb tutorial is a huge reason why this mission has seen beyond my own harddrive

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    @Covetous Carcass: Where is that readable? I must have missed it.
    Ah, now I understad. The note from Capt. Willoughby.

Quote Originally Posted by EnYB0La View Post
    Just installed this FM with NewDarkLoader on a fresh T2 installation and got this with AIs. They seem to be disabled... I can't play this FM

Check if the file motiondb.bin is still in the Thief 2 folder. For some reason, it had disappeared for me. Copying it back from the game CD solved it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast