TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T1/2 Spider Hider

T1/2 Spider Hider

A couple of months ago, an arachnophobe requested a tweak that removes spiders from Thief 1 and 2, and I decided to take a look. Here's the result:

Spider Hider 1.0
    Spider Hider 1.0 (+bots)

The +bots version kills Mechanist spiderbots in addition to regular spiders/spiderbeasts.

Installation
    Make sure your Thief installation is patched with the latest NewDark/TFix/Tafferpatcher release. This tweak will not work on OldDark.

Method 1: Simply drop the dbmods folder into your base Thief 1 or 2 directory. That's it.

Method 2: Place the .dml file in a subdirectory of your choosing (such as 'usermods') and add this directory to the modpath in cam_mod.ini. You'll also need to rename the .dml to 'gamesys.dml' or it won't work.

What it does
    It hide-- no, it's far more brutal than the name suggests. This script gives all the spiders in the level a massive allergy to fire, killing them and removing their bodies. Not a trace of them will be evident.

Enjoy your spider-free Thief experience, you cowards!

Notes
    Seemed to work on Fan Missions from my brief testing, but I don't know if it will work with every custom gamesys. I couldn't test every FM! Please let me know if you have any issues or suggestions.

Removing the mod simply requires deleting or moving the .dml file, or removing it from modpath if you used Method 2. You will need to restart the mission, start a new mission or load a save made before the mod was applied in order to bring the spiders back.

Credit for the method goes to R Soul in this old thread. I simply implemented and converted these steps to portable .dml form.
    Last edited by Tafferwocky; 21st Dec 2017 at 15:24.

Zombified
    quicktested and everything seems to be working ok, but as mentioned in our pm conversation, using the dbmods folder seems a bit redundant here - just renaming the dml to gamesys.dml and placing it into any modfolder (usermods) works perfectly fine (tested myself).

see dbmod-sample.dml in the NewDark doc folder to see what exactly the dbmod folder does.

I wouldn't mind spiders so much if Garrett could just stomp on them. Wouldn't even need an animation, just make jumping on top of them an inst-kill.

Anyway, would this work for FMs?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    quicktested and everything seems to be working ok, but as mentioned in our pm conversation, using the dbmods folder seems a bit redundant here - just renaming the dml to gamesys.dml and placing it into any modfolder (usermods) works perfectly fine (tested myself).

see dbmod-sample.dml in the NewDark doc folder to see what exactly the dbmod folder does.
    Couple of reasons I did it this way in the end. I was going to recommend Usermods, but Tafferpatcher doesn't seem to create a Usermods directory and add it to mod_path: only TFix does that. You can still do it that way if you want (see Method 2, which I'm just editing to mention that you need to rename to gamesys.dml when using that approach! Thanks for the reminder).

Also, giving the dml a customised name helps identify which mod it's from.

I checked dbmod-sample.dml too, and it seems to recommend use of db_mods directories to ensure absolute priority for the dml files within, so they're loaded last.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    I wouldn't mind spiders so much if Garrett could just stomp on them. Wouldn't even need an animation, just make jumping on top of them an inst-kill.

Anyway, would this work for FMs?
    Well, that would be nice for the smaller spiders!

As noted in the OP, it's worked on the one or two FMs I've tested. Might not work on every FM though.

Zombified
    would this work for FMs?
    yes, as long as the FM author didn't create any other spider archetypes outside the [-2103] Spider archetype.
    I wouldn't mind spiders so much if Garrett could just stomp on them.
    kind of doable, but the game has no way of telling that you are stomping, so a gentle touch will kill it as well.

Last edited by voodoo47; 21st Dec 2017 at 15:49.

Interesting. Could it be linked to fall distance perhaps? So if you land on a spider having "fallen" any distance that's a stomp?

Zombified
    possibly - you would need someone who is very good at scripts.

Thank you so much for this mod! Now my favourite game has become even better without these beasts.

Zombified
    yeah, but some places might now be too lonely. almost sure some FM had pretty nice giant roaches models - maybe borrow those and change all spiders into big bugs instead?

all i ask is please let the cray beast and prying mantis beast alone they are just trying to survive in a harsh game environment

and yes there is one mission not sure what its called but at start in a sewer area you turn a corner and see a big dead one and garret says "i'm never that hungry" "P

but i don't think i faced a live one of that type in game

Zombified
    yep, stuff like that can happen - that's why I chose to use NVscript for the SS2 no spiders mod (and also added a few extras to be completely safe).

Code:
    DML1

//lets kill all spiders already placed in levels
    +Receptron -2013 "CharmStim"
    {
    	Min 0
    	Max None
    	Target Me

Effect "slay"
    }
    +ObjProp -2013 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 0" TransientCorpse
    	"Script 1" NVSlayMeTrap
    	"Script 2" NVRelayTrap
    	"Script 3" NVRelayTrap2
    }
    +ObjProp -2013 "ObjList"
    {
    	"" NVSlayMeTrapOn="killspider"; NVRelayTrap2On="BeginScript"; NVRelayTrap2TDest="[Me]"; NVRelayTrap2OnDelay=50; NVRelayTrap2TOn="killspider"; NVRelayTrap2TCount=1; NVRelayTrapOn="BeginScript"; NVRelayTrapTDest="[Me]"; NVRelayTrapOnDelay=100; NVRelayTrapTOn="[1.0]CharmStim"; NVRelayTrapTCount=1;
    }
    //and spawn a worm each time
    +Link -2013 -182 "Corpse"
    {
    }
    //make them invisible, silent and neutral just to be sure
    +ObjProp -2013 "RenderType"
    {
    	"" Not Rendered
    }
    +ObjProp -2013 "SpchVoice"
    {
    	"" none
    }
    +ObjProp -2013 "AI_Team"
    {
    	"" Neutral
    }
    +ObjProp -2013 "AI"
    {
    	"Behavior set" none
    }
    -ObjProp -2013 "AI_IdleDirs"
    +ObjProp -2013 "MotActorTagList"
    {
    	"tags" none
    }
    +ObjProp -2013 "CollisionType"
    {
    	"" No Result
    }
    +ObjProp -2013 "Class Tags"
    {
    	"1: Tags" none
    }
    -ObjProp -2013 "Creature"
    -ObjProp -2014 "Creature"
    -ObjProp -2014 "MotActorTagList"
    //lets also destroy all spider corpses already placed in levels
    +ObjProp -2282 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 0" NVSlayMeTrap
    	"Script 1" NVRelayTrap
    	"Script 2" ""
    	"Script 3" ""
    }
    +ObjProp -2282 "ObjList"
    {
    	"" NVSlayMeTrapOn="killspider"; NVRelayTrapOn="BeginScript"; NVRelayTrapTDest="[Me]"; NVRelayTrapOnDelay=50; NVRelayTrapTOn="killspider"; NVRelayTrapTCount=1;
    }
    //and make them invisible and unselectable just to be sure
    +ObjProp -2282 "RenderType"
    {
    	"" Not Rendered
    }
    +ObjProp -2282 "HUDSelect"
    {
    	"" false
    }
    +ObjProp -2282 "FrobInfo"
    {
    	"World Action" none
    }

yes, as long as the FM author didn't create any other spider archetypes outside the [-2103] Spider archetype.

kind of doable, but the game has no way of telling that you are stomping, so a gentle touch will kill it as well.

Nice! Now we can make Thief into Super Mario

yeah, but some places might now be too lonely. almost sure some FM had pretty nice giant roaches models - maybe borrow those and change all spiders into big bugs instead?
    Replacing them with something else is not a bad idea, maybe roaches, rats or dewdrop dolls but nothing too creepy, as that would defeat the purpose. Have to think about that one, and maybe offer a few optional versions.

Btw your SS2 No Spiders mod has a tonne of fail-safes! It's interesting to see another method of accomplishing this.

Dewdrop dolls are also creepy. Please, don't.

If I am serious, I like the idea as I hate spiders myself, but I see this mod as sort of cheating the game, which I don't want to do. Maybe just replacing their model with some other non-creepy bug would be a good alternative. Dunno about roaches, they are also disgusting.

In comparison to their Minecraft variant these spiders look really cute and tiny in the Thief universe...

In my opinion I also see this as cheating in the game. A lack of Spiders would make some missions too easy. In example in "Escape" the player has to sneak through several spider lairs, thus making this mission challenging. You should at least replace them with other AI`s or maybe just another model and maybe different sounds so that the challenge does not suffer.

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking Robot View Post
    In my opinion I also see this as cheating in the game.
    You don't say.

Spiders are one of the least difficult enemy AIs to get around. In my opinion Escape is still the hardest T1 mission even without spiders.

The small ones are easy. The brown ones relatively easy but a bit of a chore to fight. The red ones often (with me at least) get in a laser hit, or a web attack, and become even more of a chorse.

I agree a stomp or remove mod is cheating, but if you can just jump on them to kill them they might become more fun.

Off topic perhaps, but would it be easy to create a mod to remove water? Is this the sort of things that can be done with a global script, or would the water have to be edited out wherever it appears, on a mission by mission basis? Actually I just want it removed from one mission, I am just wondering what is possible.

Zombified
    mission edit only, afaik.

Any chance of a similar mod to remove zombies?

Let's make a mod that removes all enemy AIs and other threats like fires and lava while we're at it
    Last edited by marbleman; 31st Dec 2017 at 10:56.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Any chance of a similar mod to remove zombies?
    sure, I can replace them with spiders.

Zombified
    almost read that as philes instead of phobes.

Ah, that would be 'Thief: The Dark Web Project'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast