TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Authors: What are you most proud of?

Authors: What are you most proud of?

I'd be interested in hearing from authors as to what missions or sections of mission they are most proud of, be it the whole mission, individual buildings, rooms, puzzles they have designed, custom objects, street layouts or even the complete layout of the mission map.

I'm guessing, as artists, most authors end up with mixed feelings about some, if not all of their missions. Being really proud of some aspects of them but sometimes being almost embarrassed about other aspects of their artwork.

As a player I usually appreciate most aspects of most missions, but feel that sometimes some areas looked rushed, even incomplete, but again some areas just look stunning, but my opinion of the final look may be very different from the artist's view point.

So please share with us your proudest achievements, preferably with screenshots, as well as telling us any story, personnel experiences or RL
    influences (including influences drawn from other missions or games) that you drew inspiration from, in building your proudest moments.

And if your brave enough, you could also share with us your ultimate cringe worthy attempts of mission building (screenshots do not have to be supplied, but would be appreciated for prosperity sake of course).

I'm proud for actually finishing a complete mission. It was short and sweet, but I'm very happy to have made something from beginning to end. My favorite elements of the mission are the innovative but simple puzzle design. I tried to do something fresh and new, and I'd say I largely succeeded, even if it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. My personal favorite puzzle is the projection room.

There's a lot of stuff I'd like to improve on. I certainly fell into a lot of "rookie mistake" traps (sorry about all the marble!!!) but it feels great to know I created something that brought people happiness, even if only for a short while.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I'm proud of a number of things I've done over the years. There are also plenty of things I cringe at when I see them, like many of my early missions. Unsurprisingly, I'm probably most proud of finally finishing DCE and getting it out there. Besides that, though, I am proud of The Drymian Codex and how we wove an intricate multi-faceted story into the gameplay, the cinematic style of the last part of the mission, and the feelings of dread we hopefully created in the player with the haunted crypt. That's probably the best single mission I've been involved with, or at least the one I'm most proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    My personal favorite puzzle is the projection room.
    As in this room, a simple puzzle maybe but yes it looked great and if I'm not mistaken has not been used in an FM before.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I am proud of The Drymian Codex and how we wove an intricate multi-faceted story into the gameplay, the cinematic style of the last part of the mission, and the feelings of dread we hopefully created in the player with the haunted crypt. That's probably the best single mission I've been involved with, or at least the one I'm most proud of.
    I had just started replaying The Drymian Codex when you gave me the opportunity to help out beta test HSH, so whilst everyone is absorbed in this mission I may well go back to it.

ps. I really can't remember anything about the crypt in The Drymiian Codex, but have so often read comments about how fantastic it was, so am looking forward to that section.
    Last edited by fortuni; 23rd Dec 2017 at 19:48.

i am proud of them all but "bbb" gets my vote for this post as i rarely hear anyone mention how great his missions are in game play

misread post sorry

No problem downie, I agree that bbb's missions are great and he needs more love around here.

I'm proud of All Torc because it was my first FM, which had a solid story and good technical effects to support it. And a train. Prior to that, I'd spent a few years messing around in Dromed but not having a proper FM in mind.

With the sequel, Stones and Glass Houses, I'm most proud of the story. For a while it just felt wrong. I think I took a few breaks from it (see below) but eventually I decided to change the story. I came up with a way of challenging myself to justify every twist and every character's actions, and it led to something that go me excited.

During development of SaGH I offered to help out with some technical aspects of Mission X. That went very well and I learned a lot, which I was then able to apply to SaGH when I got back to it.

I also took part in the Water Contest. I liked the general atmosphere and a special effect at the end, but the size restrictions didn't suit a cave mission. I should have withdrawn from the contest, made the gameplay more challenging (more routes, more AI etc) and released it as a standalone FM instead. I did however learn the importance of listening to beta testers.

During another break from SaGH I entered the Classic Thief Experience contest. I'm pleased with the way I got around the size restriction.

When I made A Job Well Done I felt proud of making a rooftop FM - although quite a bit of it was done by Xorak and Wille.

More recently, helping out with DCE. I did some building and texturing in the mission 9, and I was happy with the feeling of decay and ruined inner buildings. And those tents. And the magic staff in the blackjack's usual slot.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    More recently, helping out with DCE. I did some building and texturing in the mission 9, and I was happy with the feeling of decay and ruined inner buildings. And those tents. And the magic staff in the blackjack's usual slot.
    No doubt that that mission wouldn't have been nearly the same without your involvement, thank you again.

I'm probably most proud of the swamp in Godbreaker.

I'm mostly proud of "Nobles & Craftsmen" because rooftop missions, let alone cities are not my strenght, but it turned out pretty well

DromEd Archmage
    Interesting question... but pretty hard to answer...

Well about mission I don't know. I'm hesiting between the sewers in Evil Thievery, the ship in Skull Goblet or the destroyed city in the same mission.

About triggers I'm mostly proud of the randomizer I set up in wooden box. It was a real puzzle and it works !

In matter of models, well, the cobraman with no doubt. This one have been a real puzzle impossible to solve for a long time to me but at the end I did it...

Finaly about objects, I can't say there are so much of them now... but my favorite ones are not published yet because reserved to TBP or ANIR so at the moment let's just talk about the already published one and in this case I'll say that my TG-like machines are the ones I like the most.

Each of my missions has something that makes me feel proud, (even though I'd probably do the first two quite differently now):

To send a message: The sheer wackiness of it
    The acid trip: The sheer craziness of it
    Unholy vivid innocence: The idea of enemies who hurt you if YOU see THEM
    Insanity's crescendo: The teleporter! And the story
    Shadows in our blood: The fact that I managed to create a horrible AND believable torture complex
    Of the sinister awakening: Packing so much gameplay and puzzles in such a tiny mansion
    Among two storms: Being able to play as two thieves and switch between them at any time
    To the end with nothing: Playing as a haunt; a puzzle mission without an inventory; the readables
    A sorrowful farewell: It's complex puzzles, like the guiding hand and the travel back in time
    Library of Babel: The randomised infinite library
    Pestis cruenta: The story and the motion DB cutscenes

And the fact that I have been able to come up with so many unique puzzles!

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer View Post
    "They said you can't build a fan mission in a swamp but I built it anyway, and it fell into the swamp. So I built another one and it fell into the swamp..."

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer View Post
    I'm not surprised, probably the best looking swamp ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMax View Post
    I'm mostly proud of "Nobles & Craftsmen" because rooftop missions, let alone cities are not my strength, but it turned out pretty well
    All city/rooftop mission look frighteningly difficult to get right and N&C was brilliantly executed

Quote Originally Posted by FireMage View Post
    ..In matter of models, well, the cobraman with no doubt.

Finaly about objects, I'll say that my TG-like machines are the ones I like the most.
    I don't remember which items your talking about, can you post some screenshots to share with us?

Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    the fact that I have been able to come up with so many unique puzzles!
    +1

Those machines have a screenshot here:
    http://spirited-tech.com/thief/2017/...s-by-firemage/

I'm a little proud of Shoes and Dresses, my first FM made for the 2016 Newdark Novice Contest.

I always wanted to make an FM of my own but always put it off to "later", but when that contest came along I thought - if I wanna create an FM, now is the perfect point to start!
    And then I essentially learned how to Dromed from scratch using nicked's tutorial, and created that FM within a month while I didn't even fully know what I was doing. And the result was even decent for a beginner's mission.

Now my dromed skill has increased a lot, but without that first contest mission that I created in a month, I would never have started.

DromEd Archmage
    Yep R Soul ! These ones !

For the cobraman, I've got this demo video

You can even download the creature on the LGS Forgotten Creatures thread.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    "They said you can't build a fan mission in a swamp but I built it anyway, and it fell into the swamp. So I built another one and it fell into the swamp..."
    "Then I built another one. THAT one burned down, fell over and THEN sank into the swamp...But the 4TH one stood up!"

For me it was actually finishing my first mission, Lord Matt. It was a horrible mission in looking back, but at first I really struggled with this awful tool called Dromed. It was the support of this community that helped me get it completed.

By the way, I do feel the love.

BBB

I don't think I can say I'm proud of anything I've worked on. At first I used to feel anticipation at releasing something, but after years of mixed receptions on my missions, I began feeling hesitation near release time. A few times Nightwalker had to talk me into releasing something when it was finished. Now every time I run into snags on what I'm working on, I just get discouraged and quit for a few months before tackling it again.

I can say I enjoy my missions and I personally think they are OK.

I'll list what I think of the stuff I've worked on.

Thorin's two missions, Karras' Diary and Secret Weapon: I wrote them and did the voice acting in them and thought they were OK. Some of the gameplay elements weren't built into the missions like I expected. For example, when you place the diary without being discovered, I wanted it actually in an upper chamber with all of Karras' high ranking loyalists in there, and you had to place it without being seen or heard like in the training mission in T1 (follow the dark areas and walk slowly on the noisy areas) but it wasn't really built that way.

Two Fathers: I liked the story and the secret life discovered element. Caves were cool, or so I thought, but tons of people hated them and couldn't even get through them.

A Thief Nonetheless: Not that good of a mission. I rushed this while working on Two Fathers and Thorin's mission. If there is any pride in this one, it is that I did the whole thing in 14 days of spare time. I know that sounds odd but I think it would be cool to release a multitude of small quick ones as fast as you could. I think people expect a lot more than that these days though.

Mixed Messages: I like this one and I like how I sort of sneaked in an extra day in the life of the OM's that seemed to fit OK. Nothing outstanding by any standards though.

Just Take A Look: I sneaked in an extra day in the life of the OM's again with this one. I was just sort of working on making pretty things, not taking this seriously. Sort of like eye candy for that time in FM making. Its title is actually what I told Nightwalker: "Hey Linda, I'm just playing around trying to make nice rooms. Just take a look....." The title stuck, and germinated the story line. It's fun and I like the secret stairs.

The Time That Has Passed: Continuing story of Two Fathers. I kind of like playing this one too. If I had to pick a part of this one I'm "proud" of, it is that the mansion you infiltrate is real. I e-mailed Nightwalker all kinds of real house plans and I built the one she picked as her favourite.

Chain Of Events: "Pride" in this mission is that I got to pay tribute to all the TTLG members who cracked the code in Mixed Messages, using their actual TTLG handles in the mission. I liked that there were keys for every place but you could get into every place using alternate paths or picking. I wanted to focus on making a mission cat burglar friendly.

Thieves' Highway: I will admit that originally I did actually take a little pride in this one, because I thought I had done a succesful homage to Life Of The Party. I didn't think there were any rooftop missions in the "stay off the streets" style of that OM. I put in a secret hidden room, a final destination to infiltrate, and even a bell tower. I thought it was cool. Maybe not so great by today's standards though.

The Power Of Suggestion: I thought this one was good, but I was crushed a bit by the way people hated the lack of internal helpfulness in the FM. I thought that if Garrett was taken in "real life", he wouldn't have a clue what was going on or know where he was. He would take a while to get his bearings and come up with a plan. I failed in transferring that feeling into a mission though. Sort of ended up regretting the mission as it was released, though I personally still enjoy it.

Flip A Coin: I like that I made a (not great) mission in 28 days flat. Kind of interesting funky architecture in a limited contest space that was a bit challenging and playable. Another throw away really, though.

Verum Inferus: The one I've worked on since I posted I was done making missions years ago. There was years of pause on this one because my XP computer stopped running Thief and I couldn't change that. Even can't run on my windows 10 machine. It always freezes after about 20 or 30 seconds of play. I bought my son a new gaming PC and traded his windows7 machine because it runs dromed OK. I always give up in discouragement for a while when I run into Dromed problems and get back to it later, because I have gotten to the point where I despise the idea of releasing another mission, hence years of procrastination. Nightwalker says it's OK, but I can't convince myself I'm any good anymore. Pride isn't really an issue. I feel like an old washed up dinosaur in the Thief community nowadays.

@uncadonego It's truly a shame you feel this way, especially since I feel (and I bet I'm not the only one) that you're truly one of the best FM authors out there simply by the fact you don't need these shinny new custom textures and objects to have your personal touch: the way you use brushes to make objects, the choice of texturing and colors, the small and cramped corridors, the victorian aesthetics of T2 on cracks...

I hope that Verum Inferus will at least see the light of the day before you quit dromed definitely

Classical Master 2008
    At the end of the day, I am happy about every one of my released missions. Since I have been able to release them at the point where I felt good about them, and in a reasonably polished state, there are no regrets. Each one has flaws, and those flaws are now as much a part of the design as the high points. This is also the reason I never revisit or substantially revise my missions. Once something is done, it is done. You can't revisit the circumstances which lead to the mission's creation. If you do, it will substantially alter the experience. You can see this by comparing my initial contest version of Return to the City and the much more polished and improved v3, mostly the work of Bikerdude.

There are things I am proud of in every mission.
    • Bad Debts: realising a non-linear mission style where investigation lets you uncover pieces of plot, and connect them to form a big picture that's beyond (or in addition to) the mission objectives. Also, the Keywell mystery is still a favourite - I see it has stayed with people, which tells me it is a successful attempt at creating a mystery.
    • Unbidden Guest: Some of this is not readily apparent, but the "stock only" contest restrictions lead to repurposing or creatively using a lot of assets, and thinking of game problems in ways I never imagined I'd be capable of.
    • Disorientation: the ambience is all right, appropriately gloomy/mysterious. The water slide turned out rather well, and I like this building/area.
    • Prowler of the Dark: Nothing special, but it came together very quickly, and stands up fairly well. Maybe the tavern - run-down, boisterous, and with a sordid secret.
    • Return to the City: Original contest version. It has loose plot lines which run off in multiple directions but don't lead anywhere in particular. I like that quality.
    • Fiasco at Fauchard Street: The technological side of using prefab elements to build a mission reasonably quickly, while also giving it its own character.
    • Penny Dreadful 1: The Grail of Regrets: The centrepiece tomb area is neat.
    • Penny Dreadful 2: All the Way Up: Creating the experience of working your way from a desperate situation to exact revenge on the people who have wronged you, and implementing it in the context of vertical gameplay is something I am very happy about. It is also an homage to the design style of Sperry, one of my favourite FM designers, in particular Walking the Edge.
    • The Rats Triumphant: Somehow, this never took off with people, but it has a fever-dream quality I enjoy, and some dark implications which I think nobody really put together (or posted about).
    • Behind Closed Doors: I did a few areas here, but I'm especially proud of the opening area with the grand stairs, based on this concept sketch. That's a good one. Also, putting down at least a little bit of the burden we have carried with the Crucible of Omens campaign was a good feeling.
    • Penny Dreadful 3: Erasing the Trail: Maybe too sprawling (it significantly overgrew its original concept), and it has design problems which are obvious in hindsight... but I am proud of the hidden and macabre ways you can accomplish your objectives, some of the obtuse puzzles (The Octagon Weird!), and the mood of some areas.

My regrets are about unresolved things. Plans which stayed on the drawing board, and the missions which linger on in an incomplete state. This means The Crucible of Omens campaign for TDM, which dragged on and on in a horrible half-dead state when in hindsight it should have died when the original team dissolved. Not being able to put the campaign (and the missions I have worked on) to rest has meant heartache, burnout and regret ever since, with missions stuck at that exact stage where you hate them for what's missing instead of liking them for what's accomplished. Truly awful. Just awful.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    I don't think I can say I'm proud of anything I've worked on. At first I used to feel anticipation at releasing something, but after years of mixed receptions on my missions, I began feeling hesitation near release time. A few times Nightwalker had to talk me into releasing something when it was finished. Now every time I run into snags on what I'm working on, I just get discouraged and quit for a few months before tackling it again.
    For what it's worth, you have always been one of my favourite FM designers, and I think I'm not alone in saying I'd like to see the one you have not released yet.

I'm just proud to have contributed to TTLG and made a fm that people have (for the most part, based on comments) enjoyed. I only hope that I can improve to continue providing great fm's to the players.

Uncadonego; You've made fantastic fm's, and quite frankly, are one of the few authors' work that inspired me to dromed myself.
    Last edited by ObservingEye; 28th Dec 2017 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    A few times Nightwalker had to talk me into releasing something when it was finished.
    In that case, grateful thanks to Nightwalker for her sterling work. I'm another one who always looked forward to a new mission from you and I also hope Verum Inferus will see the light of day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast