TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Level 10,000 achieved

Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Yes, this thing. This thing that no one asked for, but which turned out to be unexpectedly great.

It's a light and fun turn based tactics game. It's this year's Steamworld Heist, basically. Like Heist it delivers on a lot of what I want from a turn based tactics game. It's quite low on random dice rolley stuff. It keeps the inbetween-battle-faffing-around to a minimum. Like Heist it's also quite forgiving. You never permanently loose any team members, and the challenge is more often trying to get a perfect 3-star score on a battle rather than the life-or-death outcomes of games like XCOM or Invisible Inc. It's also fun to see how it's utilizing enemies from the Mario games in creative ways. I just did a mission that had a Chain Chomp, which acts as an element of danger to both you and your enemy. It attacks whoever is closest at the end of a given turn, which means it's one more thing you have to take into account when positioning your units.

Anyway, I'm just 2-3 hours yet, and so far I'm really digging it!

Hey got a Switch for the family today, played some of this and it does seem pretty nice.

Level 10,000 achieved
    At Polygon today, the Creative Director of XCOM talks about Mario+Rabbids. It's a good one!

And then I began to hear something else: familiar phrases, to me at least, like “turn-based tactics” and “half cover.” I paused, turned up the volume, and watched.

It was one of the most surreal experiences of my professional life. There was Luigi, sliding into cover, his gun at the ready. There was Mario, unloading a volley of blaster fire from his overwatch position. And there was Princess Peach, weighing a 50 percent shot on an enemy.
    Not that anyone should expect bright colors, talking plants and crazed forest creatures in the next XCOM. But don’t be surprised to see movement work completely differently. This, ultimately, is the delight of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle for me: to have a worthy competitor, or perhaps a worthy compatriot. When people make good games, everyone wins.

Moderator and Priest
    Everyone who has a Switch keeps telling me to pick up Mario+Rabbids. One day, I will. But right now, it just doesn't compel me enough to spend $60 on just yet.

Maybe I'm making a huge mistake, but as far as the Nintendo first party games go, it's on the bottom of the list. Mario Kart would be next.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Is Mario Kart good enough in single player to be worth buying? I don't do much local co-op.

I did like Sonic&Sega All-Stars Racing, so I'm not totally averse to cart racers. But not super into them either.

And RE: Mario+Rabbids. It's good, and I'm pleased to find that it does a Mario Odyssey-esque thing in repopulating the levels with new challenges after you've beaten them once. But still, it's no Steamworld Heist. If you're in the market for a light and fun turn based tactics game, get Heist first. It's cheaper as well.

Moderator and Priest
    I haven't played a Mario Kart since the DS version came out 'lo so many years ago. Dunno if things have changed since, but they were great for single player. Maybe not AS fun as playing with your friends, but still plenty of entertainment to be had.

I've been toying with getting Steamworld Dig 2 at some point. Also, I played the demo for Dragon Quest Builders earlier today, and it was damn great fun. I'll probably get it too.

This is the first time since, geez, the SNES that I've felt I had too many options for games on a Nintendo system.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Everyone who has a Switch keeps telling me to pick up Mario+Rabbids. One day, I will. But right now, it just doesn't compel me enough to spend $60 on just yet.
    It's probably for the best overall. I found it weaker than more dedicated strategy or strategy RPG games (e.g. X-Com or Shadowrun), and it really started to drag in the third and fourth worlds. Did finish it though; probably won't ever go back to it.