TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text On Screen

Text On Screen

No way to see text on screen. Please help me.

If i add Book->Art all fine good, but whitout art text are not show on the screen.

I also try using tnhscript.osm "OnScreenText" and script.osm "IntrinsicText". Nothing Happen.

Please help me using simple word, my english is very bad!

Thanks in advance.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    You need to create an empty /strings folder in your Thief folder, then all will be well.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    If you want to display a short text on the screen, and tnhscript is already loaded, TrapText
    http://dromed.whoopdedo.org/tnhscript/traptext
    can display it without a book folder. Just type your text in the Design Note (Add--Editor--Design Note)

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    You need to create an empty /strings folder in your Thief folder, then all will be well.
    Oh... i lost hours and hours for this... good.
    Thank you so much Yandros!

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    If you want to display a short text on the screen, and tnhscript is already loaded, TrapText
    http://dromed.whoopdedo.org/tnhscript/traptext
    can display it without a book folder. Just type your text in the Design Note (Add--Editor--Design Note)
    Solved, but thanks you too!

For another question i need to add new tread? In this case i will do.

Prologue: I have a desk, i have a drawer, i have a loot inside a drawer. I want to let player open the drawer for steal the loot.

Mission accomplished: the drawer is a door and at the same time is a lever whit cd link to the loot. The loot is a door too. When i open the drawer both objects moves corretcly in both ways. But...

Bug? If i steal before any loot and after the loot inside the drawer, i listen correct loot sound, but if i steal before the special loot and after a normal loot, i listen the item sound, like a crystal... what is wrong? Thanks in advance.

Is your loot an object under door archetype and loot properties, or is it under loot archetype with door properties? I guess the second should work correctly, not sure about the first one (maybe because of Combine Type messing).
    And, anyway, don't forget to add Block Frob? property to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    Is your loot an object under door archetype and loot properties, or is it under loot archetype with door properties? I guess the second should work correctly, not sure about the first one (maybe because of Combine Type messing).
    And, anyway, don't forget to add Block Frob? property to the table.
    Is under door archetype whit loot proporties. Works fine, sound loot too if i steal something before this loot... is very strange.

It's always better to make a new thread for a new issue.
    I don't think it's a good idea to have a door in the inventory. Doors can be problematic. In this case it's changing the schema.

StdDoor
    gen.osm 1/G/2The door is opened by the messages TurnOn or Open. It is closed with TurnOff or Close. It is also operates in response to FrobWorldEnd. Frobbing normally toggles the state of the door. In Thief 2, if the door had previously been halted, frobbing it will reverse the action it was engaged in before the halt. The door states are closed, open, closing, opening, and halted. A door that is locked and closed cannot be opened by FrobWorldEnd. Instead, it plays an environmental schema with the event tags Event Reject, Operation OpenDoor. The lock is disregarded when the door opens any other way. The lock will also be disregarded if the config variable LockCheat is set (only in Thief 2). When a door is locked, it will close itself. Unlocking a door also opens it. Doors cannot be killed. When Slain, the door will be resurrected with 1 hit point. Any Lock links from the door are removed, and the Engine Features\Locked and Engine Features\KeyDst properties are removed. The Engine Features\Locked property is set to 0 before being removed, so the door will receive a NowUnlocked message. The door opens with it is slain. In Thief 2, if the door has the Script\Timing property, it will automatically close itself that many milliseconds after it is opened. The timer aborts if the door begins to close. When the door state changes, an environmental schema is played with the event tags Event StateChange, OpenState , OldOpenState >. Previous schemas are halted if the state is closed or open. If the door had recently been frobbed by the player, with FrobWorldEnd or PlayerToolFrob, the tag CreatureType Player is added to the list. The flag that determines whether to add the tag is cleared when the door state is closed, open, or halted. When the door is opened, it will set a secret as being found if it is marked as Hidden in Dark Gamesys\Stats. Two or more doors can be combined into a set of "double" doors by creating ScriptParams links between the doors and setting the link data to Double. There must be at least one link between any two doors in a group. More than one link between two doors is unnecessary, but harmless. The doors will keep in synch for most state changes. A halted door will not cause the linked doors to halt. If the linked doors are meant to be locked, they should all have the Engine Features\Locked property (or a Lock link). A door without the property will not synch properly with the others. (This is because it might have been Slain and lost the property that way.) Doors keep in synch by sending the SynchUp message from the door that had its state changed to each door it has a link with. When a double door spans an opening, it can cause AI to get stuck between them. The AI tries to frob both doors, which makes them start to open, then immediately close. Thief 2 solves this by creating a marker with the property AI\Utility\Path avoid on it. The marker is placed at the midpoint between two doors, but only if the doors share a room boundary, and are touching (or close to) at the midpoint. The marker will be created for pairs of doors with a ScriptParams link between them, regardless of whether the data is set to Double. So you can take advantage of the feature without having to synchronize the doors.
    Keep in mind that link data is case-sensitive. It's "Double" not "double". And why is it that these descriptions keep getting longer and longer the more of them I do?

Uhm... it is possible to set a normal loot moving in both direction like a sliding door whit tPath whene drawer is frobben?

You could destroy the 'door loot' with nvdeletetrap and teleport/create standard loot there when the door opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    You could destroy the 'door loot' with nvdeletetrap and teleport/create standard loot there when the door opened.
    Can you explain this better? Maybe step by step to setup can help me. Thank you.

For example: the drawer/cabinet has the trigdooropen-script.
    --CD link to a timed relay trap (TrapTimedRelay script, set the timing accordingly)
    --CD to a marker with nvdeletetrap
    --CD nvdeletetrap to the door loot.
    The door loot will be destroyed as the drawer opens.
    Set a create/teleport trap there.
    --CD timed relay trap to teleport/create trap and teleport/create the same loot again. Standard loot. Don't forget to delete the loot property on the 'door loot'.

You can also do this in a conversation.
    Load NVscripts first. You can't destroy a door with a destroy trap

You can also try to add script StdDoor and Translating property to your loot. Don't forget to uncheck Block Vision flag. Why not to start from the easiest way? It will not take too much time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    You can also try to add script StdDoor and Translating property to your loot. Don't forget to uncheck Block Vision flag. Why not to start from the easiest way? It will not take too much time.
    I tryed to do this method (standard loot + door properties), but doesn't work. I don't remember why now, but today i'll try again.
    I started doing this simply because i want this features on my fm.

@Unna Thanks but it was too conplicated for me

EDIT.

All works fine now whit this method: (standard loot + door properties). But in this case whene loot is inside inventory and i frob again the drawer, happen an error. Something like "object loot has no model".
    Now i need to use control device (from drawer/lever) (to loot/door) only at once.
    Or better... use control device only if the loot is in the world and not in inventory.
    Last edited by AnotherGarrett; 27th Dec 2017 at 09:01.

New method...

A Drawer , a loot, a TrapTrig

Drawer have StdDoor for translating, and StdButton for activate loot motion

Trap Trig use TrapMoveRelative script (thnscript) whit data inside Design Note

Control Device from Drawer to Trap Trig
    Control Device from trap trig to loot

Now whene drawer is frobbed is moving correctly in both direction: open and closed, but loot (off course) move only in the direction set in design note.

I tryed to use a StdLever but maybe TrapMoveRelative doensn't work.

There is a way to write something similar to "IF object is in this position move positive ELSE move negative"?
    Or another solution... is the same.

Thanks all

Just take a look how I did drawers in Finals at the Academy already.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Just take a look how I did drawers in Finals at the Academy already.
    Thanks LarryG. I'm really sorry but i don't have time to play your mission now. I look for drawers and i found somethings, but all whitout loot (physics loot) moving whit drawers. I'll try again today

Just DetailAttach the loot to the drawer object. Done.

Sheesh. Who said anything about play? OK. Make the drawer a child of chest with a contains link to the goodies. As long as the object has the joint to tweak it will work. And it doesn't matter that you are doing a translating vs. rotating joint. Frob the drawer and it opens (as defined in the Joints property) giving you the loot "inside" the drawer.

Container
    gen.osm 1/G/2
    On FrobWorldEnd, transfers the contained objects to the player and activates tweqs. Plays schemas appropriate for doors. Sends TurnOn messages along its ControlDevice links. Always opens when LockCheat of Thief 2 is being used.
    And this question has nothing to do with the title of this thread. Please ask the moderators to split this into two with appropriate titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Just DetailAttach the loot to the drawer object. Done.
    Error: Physics Model not compatible. If i change Physics, the object is affected by gravity and fall down

Sheesh. Who said anything about play? OK. Make the drawer a child of chest with a contains link to the goodies. As long as the object has the joint to tweak it will work. And it doesn't matter that you are doing a translating vs. rotating joint. Frob the drawer and it opens (as defined in the Joints property) giving you the loot "inside" the drawer.
    In this case loot go directly in the inventory.

And this question has nothing to do with the title of this thread. Please ask the moderators to split this into two with appropriate titles.
    Sheesh...

Anyway, thanks Yandros and LarryG for the answers

All works fine now whit this method: (standard loot + door properties). But in this case whene loot is inside inventory and i frob again the drawer, happen an error.
    Add TrigWorlFrob script to the loot (you need also 'Script' flag in FrobInfo property, but I believe standard loot has it already), then link it to another trigger. I would suggest this trigger to:
    1) close the drawer;
    2) make it FrobInert.
    You can miss '1)' if you wish, but this may offend the ghosters.
    I think there is no need to invent something overcomplicated. You open the drawer... take the loot... close the desk. That's all. The real thief does the same thing.

... so, for text on screen ... wait, that's not what this thread is about ... wtf????

1. Make the loot into a particle!! (SFX > Particles > Active=Checked, Launched continually, Attached to object, and take the defaults for the rest of this property - generally all zeros - and Particle Launch, take the defaults too)
    2. Particle attach the loot to whatever you want.

... so, for text on screen ... wait, that's not what this thread is about ... wtf????
    I wrote in my 2nd post this. I'm new on ttlg and I'm very sorry for this. I can't change title or split the thread. Please can soneobw do this for me? And sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Ok?

For other answers thanks to all. I will try all the suggestions.

Sheesh.

DetailAttach will work fine. Just remove the Physics > Model > Type so it has no model.

Thanks to all again. For some reasons i can't solve this problem. Off course... i need to do more xp to reach the level up.

But... it is possible to use a simply create trap? I read a tutorial and it seem really simple...

Sheesh...

Sorry... thread is not yet splitted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast