TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief The Dark Project - lossless intro and credits tracks

Thief The Dark Project - lossless intro and credits tracks

I got a very old and rare CD of 1999 bundled with a German magazine Talknet. It has two red-book audio tracks which appeared to be two uncompressed tracks from the first Thief game. The spectrum makes me think it's an original version rendered in 33 kHz. Anyway, it sounds much better than anything you've heard before!

ftp://gamemusic@ftp.valet2.com/Eric_...ect_1999_FLAC/

(empty password)

The tracks were written by Eric Brosius with help of Josh "Robotkid" Randall.

Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    I got a very old and rare CD of 1999 bundled with a German magazine Talknet. It has two red-book audio tracks which appeared to be two uncompressed tracks from the first Thief game. The spectrum makes me think it's an original version rendered in 33 kHz. Anyway, it sounds much better than anything you've heard before!

ftp://gamemusic@ftp.valet2.com/Eric_...ect_1999_FLAC/

(empty password)

The tracks were written by Eric Brosius with help of Josh "Robotkid" Randall.
    Thanks buddy. Nice share
    Enhanced Thief Fan Missions Archive (ETFMA): [TTLG thread]
    DromEd Level Editor Developer Textures Kit (DLETDK): [TTLG thread]

It doesn't have that hiss noise present in the originals, but the quality of sound samples is the same, so it's not that big of a difference (not like with the Deus Ex or SS2 OST for example). Thanks anyway.

Thanks for sharing this :]

Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    The spectrum makes me think it's an original version rendered in 33 kHz. Anyway, it sounds much better than anything you've heard before!
    ...until you split it up into a Mid/side signal. Then you hear that the cut at 15 kHz is not because of 32 kHz rendering but because of audio compression, probably 128 kbit/s MP3. This causes heavy artifacts in the side signal. Still, without the 8-bit noise is much comfortable to listen to.

Thank you kindly. A cool little discovery and a very nice New Year's present !

I'll put these among my Thief soundtrack compilations.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Child Of Karras View Post
    ...until you split it up into a Mid/side signal. Then you hear that the cut at 15 kHz is not because of 32 kHz rendering but because of audio compression, probably 128 kbit/s MP3.
    Why would Redbook audio tracks have MP3 compression artifacts?

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Why would Redbook audio tracks have MP3 compression artifacts?
    Because they were created from MP3s? Maybe?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

But the tracks that were used in cutscenes were in ever worse quality, 8 bit (that's why there's a hiss noise) and 22 kHz.

The GOG soundtrack have simply denoised and resampled with mirrored spectrum, using the same low quality tracks.

This cd that I've found clearly uses lossy source, yeah. That's sad. But this is still the best quality available.

If someone is in touch with Eric maybe he could ask him if he still has the original music files?
    ---Old Habits Never Die---

so good to listen to this in better quality.