TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Souls Remastered

Moderator and Priest
    Nice. Interesting, too. Though I'm not sure if I'll grab DS2 and 3 for the Switch, considering how much I've already played them. Maybe I'll buy them eventually just to have physical copies, but right now, I'm more interested in Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze than anything.

Yayayay! All it needs now is Okami HD and my wishlist will be checked off. Seriously. They have to bring Okami HD to Switch.

It would really surprise me if they didn't.

So what practical, realistic improvements would you guys like to see in a "remastered" Dark Souls?

I'd like to see the inventory and UI improvements made in the latter games brought to the first game. I'd also like to see the multiplayer carvings ("Hello!) made available earlier in the game. I assume they only came late in the first game because they conceived them for the DLC. And it'd be nice if Lost Izalith looked and felt a little more finished, but that might not be practical.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Looks like there won't be a discount for previous owners after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    It would really surprise me if they didn't.

So what practical, realistic improvements would you guys like to see in a "remastered" Dark Souls?

I'd like to see the inventory and UI improvements made in the latter games brought to the first game. I'd also like to see the multiplayer carvings ("Hello!) made available earlier in the game. I assume they only came late in the first game because they conceived them for the DLC. And it'd be nice if Lost Izalith looked and felt a little more finished, but that might not be practical.
    I wouldn't want them to change very much to be honest. Some minor enhancements to the gameplay would be good to see however:
    - Retain the slower based combat but improve the fluidity of the animations and double the number of movement directions (e.g. can currently only roll N-W-S-E);
    - General bug fixing, particularly in Blighttown (e.g. no falling through floor boards, frame drops)
    - Less obscure access to the Astorias DLC. There is no way I would have known how to access this without a guide, which is a poor design decision imo.
    - Flesh out Izaleth as you mentioned. Although I liked the boss unlike many others.
    - General inventory improvements such as multiple consumes etc.
    - Improved character creator
    - Fix camera on Stray Demon type bosses

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Looks like there won't be a discount for previous owners after all.
    Oh well, there are always Steam sales.

Moderator and Priest
    I might just get it for the Switch then, and that'll probably depend on how much has been changed and tweaked from the original.

I mostly would've wanted tech changes/fixes. The performance improvement is an obvious one (like in Blighttown), proper keyboard and mouse support (DS2 and DS3 already have this, so it should be given), and improvements to the "netcode" and password matchmaking (which we're actually getting), and things like support for borderless windowed mode, etc. A better character creator and the game displaying character name instead of account name would be nice too. I would also have liked an update to multiplayer matchmaking, at least the system in DS3 where weapon level is also accounted for. Without that I give it three days before the Parish is full of low level invaders decked out with endgame gear oneshotting newbies. If weapon level matchmaking is present, being able to engage in MP after a boss is dead would be good too. Would make some near dead covenants work in the long term.

These are just off the top of my head. Btw, the current info is that absolutely nothing will change in regards to game mechanics and balance-wise. Only the netcode stuff and visuals.

EDIT: I'm totally not buying this for full price though.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

PC port is being handled by QLOC. It's in great hands!
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/qloc-w...ls-remastered/

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

Here's some of the first footage of the port on the PS4 Pro. While it's hard to really tell watching this on my mobile, it doesn't really look that much better than a fully cranked up dsfix version.
    https://www.gamespot.com/videos/dark.../2300-6443388/

Moderator and Priest
    Still falling to my default position. It might be worth buying for the Switch at some point, to have a physical copy, and to have DS on-tha-go, but I'm not gonna pay full price for it.

LittleFlower
    It doesn't look a lot better than a modified DS: Prepare to Die Edition. I see no need to buy it, or play it.

I haven't played a lot of games during the last year. Too busy with work. If I ever felt the urge to play something, I played a bit of DS1. Since September I've slowly grinded NG-levels to get all achievements. I started my character in September. I got all achievements in November. And now I'm at O&S at NG+7. SL 225, over 200 hours played on this character. Once I got NG+7 finished, I think I'm done with Dark Souls 1 for a while. So no Remastered for me.

I might play Thief 2 again. I played it only once, in spring 2000. I've replayed T1 a few years ago. I think T2 will be fun.

If you're not interested in multiplayer or in the novelty of playing this on a handheld, there's really no reason to buy it. I'm interested in MP, since co-oping is fun, and there'll be a surge of players on release, but that's not worth 40 money. I'll get it for 20 maybe, if the playerbase is still active.

Moderator and Priest
    And speaking of The Novelty, here's a 20 minute recording of someone playing the game in portable mode. It is fun radness.

Just bought a switch for the kids today actually. While I can't imagine it being that comfortable to play for long gaming sessions (I assume it probably isn't meant to be), I'd be more worried about the controller surviving through some of the more challenging bosses. Apart from the odd stab of mobile gaming I can't see myself spending much time with it and am unlikely to buy DS for this platform based on the lack of 4k
    Last edited by twisty; 14th Apr 2018 at 11:08.

Moderator and Priest
    The Joycon controllers out of the box aren't exactly the most comfortable things in the world, which is why I'd recommend grabbing these.

Or this crazy bastard right here.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Looks like the Switch version has been delayed until "summer:"

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/17/17...e-date-delayed

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, not too concerned.

I'll be playing Donkey Kong here soon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12