TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dark Souls Remastered

I'm eager to see if/when any of the classic mods for the original game make it into the remaster. Darkroot Garden just wouldn't be the same without vurt's flora overhaul mod, and from what I've read I doubt the remaster enriched the foliage to the same degree as vurt's mod. The classic texture mods may be better than the remastered textures as well.

Regardless, I'll buy it for the same reason Malleus described: It's just the way forward for Dark Souls multiplayer. I'm not as into the multiplayer as Malleus, but I still love occasionally helping people take down tough bosses or fend off invaders. Plus I'll admit the irrational emotional weakness of just loving Dark Souls, so I just gotta have it. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    The classic texture mods may be better than the remastered textures as well.
    Well, this probably won't be true to all textures, but there are confirmed cases where the Remaster has fundamentally improved textures, like this:

Without DSFix
    With DSFix
    DS Remastered

I guess what I mean, though, is how will the new remastered textures compare to the HD textures in a mod like this one? I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there has done a comparison, but I haven't seen it. (I haven't looked very hard either.) And will the vegetation be upgraded like in vurt's mod?

I mean, I'm buying it anyways. It'll just be interesting to see how the remastered version compares to a fully tricked out install of the original. And then it will be interesting to see if some of those mods come over to the remastered version so we can have the best of both worlds.

DSR PC has some technical problems. The game crashes on monitors that don't have 60Hz refresh rate. Also the game speed is tied to fps with 60 being the base. Which means if your fps dips, the game slows down. Shouldn't be a problem as it's well optimised, but still, wtf. Just a heads up. Also game files come unpacked in this version, so old sound and texture replacement mods will likely work here too. What we don't know is whether the anticheat picks up on that or not, since it was possible in previous DS games to get softbanned for certain mods. The community will have to test this. Old cheat engine hacks work flawlessly though, so that's great!

I haven't bought it yet, btw.

Just had my first 15 minute play of the remaster on PC. First impressions...

So far I've beaten the Asylum Demon and taken a quick look outside, but haven't really noticed much of a difference apart from an abundance of ghost activity and an improvement to the look of the in-game player character. The gameplay appears to be more responsive now, although I'm playing as a Wanderer for the first time so am still getting used to how much faster he is than the enemies in the Asylum.

On the negative side, while the upgraded textures do look good in most areas, they don't appear to have touched all of them and in some places the contrast between the two can be somewhat jarring; ditto for the enemies. The audio also sounds tinny at times.

I'll write more once I've had a bit more of a play with it. I was going to get this for the PS4 instead however given the price discount and my Steam Link I'll probably just stream it to the lounge room if I feel like playing it on the couch. Not sure about getting it for the Switch yet either.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Someone discovered Bloodborne test map files in DS Remastered, extracted them, and put them in GTA V.

https://kotaku.com/modders-discover-...-da-1826357756

I guess this is the closest we might get to Bloodborne on the PC.

Dark Souls Remastered for PS4 arrived by mail today and I've uploaded to youtube some videos of me fighting some of the early bosses.

Bell Gargoyles
    Capra Demon
    Gaping Dragon

The next boss I will probably be taking care of is Moonlight Butterfly since I want to have some purple mosses on hand before I head on into a certain swampy area...

Level 10,000 achieved
    The real Dunk Souls starts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    DSR PC has some technical problems. The game crashes on monitors that don't have 60Hz refresh rate. Also the game speed is tied to fps with 60 being the base. Which means if your fps dips, the game slows down. Shouldn't be a problem as it's well optimised, but still, wtf. Just a heads up. Also game files come unpacked in this version, so old sound and texture replacement mods will likely work here too. What we don't know is whether the anticheat picks up on that or not, since it was possible in previous DS games to get softbanned for certain mods. The community will have to test this. Old cheat engine hacks work flawlessly though, so that's great!

I haven't bought it yet, btw.
    I have played the remaster on 3 computers now with monitors over 60hz, no issues.
    I have noticed the game slowing down on my laptop when FPS gets low, like 20 fps, which is annoying.

I've been playing DS PtDe for years now with the HD texture mods and a few other ones, and for 90% of the cases, the remastered looks way better, like WAY better.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Picked this up for PS4, enjoying finally playing this classic. Previous attempts never got me past the Undead Burg, but I've made is to the Parish now (along with some other areas that are way above my skill level). Such progress.

Anyway, what's a good early game weapon? I'm just using a Long Sword atm, but I also have the Estoc and Zweihander in my inventory, which I've read are good too if you have the stats.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
    I have played the remaster on 3 computers now with monitors over 60hz, no issues.
    Thanks. I assume that even if your monitor runs at 120 Hz, the game still runs at 60 fps, right ?
    Did you try it on a G-Sync monitor ? Any additional issues ?

I read somewhere this week that the game runs natively on 21:9 monitors. That's nice.

Not sure if I'll buy the game. I just played till ng+7 this winter.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Anyway, what's a good early game weapon? I'm just using a Long Sword atm, but I also have the Estoc and Zweihander in my inventory, which I've read are good too if you have the stats.
    Halberd.
    No doubt.

You can get it from the Undead Parish. Just past the war-pig. At the gate that you open yourself.

It is reasonably fast. So you won't be vulnerable to counter-attacks for long.
    You need to make sure you always hit. If you miss, you'll be staggered for a short while.
    Just use the R1 attacks. They poke in a straight-line ahead. Very predictable. You will hardly ever miss.
    The Halberd also has a very long reach. So much safer than shorter weapons.
    The Halberd hits like a truck. In end-game, with high str/dex, it's one of the hardest hitters.
    The Halberd also is relatively light. E.g. it is lighter than most Katanas.
    I prefer to use it one-handed, in combination with a shield.
    Black Knight Shield is nice if it drops.
    Artorias's shield is a bit more work to get, and requires more stats, but it's the best shield in the game by far.
    Halberd, Artorias's shield, and you're half-way ready for the 2nd part of the game.
    The Halberd requires 11str/12dex for 2handing, and 16str/12dex for one-handing. That's reasonable.

I halbered my way through DS1.
    I halbered my way through DS3.
    Unfortunately the Halberd in DS2 has a totally different move-set. So I didn't use it in DS2.
    If it had been the same weapon, I would have halbered my way through DS2 too.

For some places you need a weapon that can slash vertically. So you can hit stuff that flies a little off the ground. This is important when you go to Blighttown. The Halberd is harder to use against flying things. Also against some bosses, the Halberd isn't ideal. E.g a huge humanoid boss on 2 legs. The Halberd might poke in between the legs, in air. Which gets you staggered. But for day-to-day use, for trash mobs, the Halberd is the best by far.

My 2nd preferred weapon is the Washing Pole. It's like the Katana, but with a longer reach, a bleed, and it does vertical slashes too. For some bosses I use the Halberd, and for some I use the Washing Pole. You don't really need any other weapon. The Washing Pole is sold by a vendor. AFAIK it doesn't drop from any boss or mob in the game. Look at the DS1-wiki, or ask here, if you wanna know more. It also looks pretty cool. Unfortunately you'll need 20 str and 16 dex to use it (one-handed). It's more of a weapon for the 2nd half of the game, not an early weapon.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 29th May 2018 at 13:26.

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
    There was a patch the other day that supposedly fixed it. Or maybe the people who reported crashes had some other problem. I bought and played the game since then, works fine, haven't had any problems, apart from occasional frame drops (like, for a fraction of a second every few minutes). It's smooth, mouse and keyboard works fine (ingame UI shows keyboard keys now, so that's cool), and MP activity is quite high. Haven't been invaded yet, but summon signs are everywhere.

Anyway, what's a good early game weapon?.
    Zwei, Claymore or Halberd are all good IMO.

Chakat sex pillow
    I imagine the Drake Sword is still a faithful companion if you want to rinse the early game, right until you want to start actually upgrading things.

From these, the long sword is probably quite good for now, especially if you upgrade it a bit. It's reasonably fast and has a good moveset. But definitely try out other weapons to see what fits with your playstyle.

I just defeated this famous duo, going for the fat one first (as I usually do in this fight).

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I imagine the Drake Sword is still a faithful companion if you want to rinse the early game, right until you want to start actually upgrading things.
    Personally I've never found the drake sword to be anything but just shit. It's relatively slow, its damage is nothing to write home about (pretty much any +5 or equivalent weapon with some stat scaling beats it here), and its strong attack is a more or less (for me at least) useless gimmick that also destroys its durability.

If I wanted to have an easy early game I would rather use something like the black knight sword, the uchigatana or the zweihander.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by salass00 View Post
    Personally I've never found the drake sword to be anything but just shit. It's relatively slow, its damage is nothing to write home about (pretty much any +5 or equivalent weapon with some stat scaling beats it here), and its strong attack is a more or less (for me at least) useless gimmick that also destroys its durability.

If I wanted to have an easy early game I would rather use something like the black knight sword, the uchigatana or the zweihander.
    True, it is a bit slow, but in the absence of those you mentioned it's a decent starter weapon right up until you're able to upgrade weapons to a +5. Which is to say it'll see you through right until Shelob Queelag, at which point you should be ready to kick things up several notches.

Southquarter.com/fms
    After experimenting with like 10 weapons in the undead burg/parish areas, I ended up going with the Halberd. It's pretty fun killing guys before they even get close enough to hit you. I'm guessing I'm about halfway through Blighttown now, which doesn't atm seem as bad as it had been described to me. Maybe it's because I had already been through the similar area in DS2 (which I thought was worse).

Drake Sword is a newbie weapon. It's primary appeal is not its moveset or speed, but being able to kill enemies in one or two hits. It's a massive leap in power when you get it and it will carry you up until to Sen's Funhouse or at the very least to the Depths where you get the large ember and can farm slimes for large shards. It also has very low stat requirements, making it more accessible to newbies than the Zweihander or the Black Knight Sword. Furthermore, Uchigatana requires the killing of a merchant, Zweihander is really slow and will get newbies shredded before they can learn any of the timings, and Black Knight Sword is not a guaranteed drop.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I have arrived at Sen's Fortress. Just when I was getting comfortable, I see they've decided to take things up a notch or two.

Yeah, that's a tough spot. Might want to tie up some unfinished business first, like perhaps Darkroot Garden.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123