TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: .GAM Coding Language

.GAM Coding Language

Firstly, I'm not code-savvy (beyond basic CSS and what not). My focus here is methods to getting burricks into Thief 2. I know FireMage is working on a tutorial for burrick riders. I looked at Dark Arrow's "Burrick Riders" tutorial, and saw that information could be copied and pasted from that .gam into a new .gam file. But when viewing Dark Arrow's demo in DromEd, I've been having some trouble where the rider (human torso and burrick legs) appears, whereas the other burrick mesh will not render properly.

My next thought was to try a copy & paste of belboz's burrick into my own .gam. So I looked at burrick2.gam with Notepad++. When I tried a copy & paste test, the headings that are not "NUL" will appear as new text, whereas "NUL" results in empty space.

-My main question now is are the headings (not NUL) supposed to appear before or after a mesh or object? I really don't know what they stand for in addition to the short piece of coding language that appears after each item.

I'm thinking about importing both burrick types into a .gam to see if each will render properly. Here's a screenshot of burrick2.gam:

Zombified
    so.. you have been around for 3+ years and you are not aware that we have the Dromed editor?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    If you don't know how to write new stuff into the archetype, use the other gam with burricks. Just rename it to dark.gam. Load a new mission and save it as cow. Now you can set burricks everywhere.

Zombified
    pretty sure ND Dromed can one-click export/import archetypes.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    AFAIK, you can export but import is only by loading a DML.

ZylonBane
    I'm trying to wrap my head around someone being aware of and having actually used DromEd, yet also thinking that hex editing the GAM file is the way to modify it. I just... I don't even.

Hex editing would be a step up. That's just opening a binary file in a text editor.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Not sure I'm following, are you just trying to get burricks into T2? Because Dark Arrow has a ready to go .gam file, with resources, packaged up that includes burricks, craymen, bugbeasts, fire elementals, etc. Basically all stuff from T1 that T2 left out.

Simplest way: Open up a T1 mission in one window. Open up your T2 mission in another window. Go into the hierarchy in T1 for the critter you want. Create the same critter at the same hierarchy location in your T2 mission. Copy the T1 parameters for the critter into the T2 mission's new critter exactly, including all referenced elements as needed. Voila! You are done.
    Last edited by LarryG; 14th Jan 2018 at 04:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Not sure I'm following, are you just trying to get burricks into T2? Because Dark Arrow has a ready to go .gam file, with resources, packaged up that includes burricks, craymen, bugbeasts, fire elementals, etc. Basically all stuff from T1 that T2 left out.
    I looked at Dark Arrow's file, and the readme document gives permission to paste that .gam into a new one. I had not tried that before, but wanted to see if I could. In my case, part of Dark Arrow's burrick rider mesh (human top and burrick legs) rendering properly, where the front part of the burrick was not rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    editing the GAM file is the way to modify it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Hex editing would be a step up. That's just opening a binary file in a text editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    AFAIK, you can export but import is only by loading a DML.
    It's based on what I read from Dark Arrow's Burrick Rider tutorial document. However, now knowing that a DML needs to be loaded to import, and aslo that a file like MeshUp.exe can be used, that changes things. MeshUp (as I understand) responds to syntax commands, and I've not yet been able to start these programs on Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Simplest way: Open up a T1 mission in one window. Open up your T2 mission in another window. Go into the hierarchy in T1 for the critter you want. Create the same critter at the same hierarchy location in your T2 mission. Copy the T1 parameters for the critter into the T2 mission's new critter exactly, including all referenced elements as needed. Voila! You are done.
    Sounds good. Actually I've also been trying that system. I can get the burrick up and moving in the game, but even though I've included matching links from the animal to the burpfx, the burrick only tries to hit or elbow me instead of burping. So I will keep studying this and trying new things to get it working properly.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    What we were all getting at is that you edit a gamesys file by loading it under a mission in Dromed, make changes to the hierarchy, and then save it. You don't copy and paste raw binary stuff from one to another in any kind of file editor. That won't work.

Zombified
    yes. get yourself a properly set up Dromed editor (TafferPatcher can install it for you, or install Dromed Basic toolkit), and either use the mentioned gamesys with all the archetypes already restored, or the export/import function (we'll tell you the details if you decide you want to do that).

just no text editors and other attempts to reinvent the wheel. don't be this guy. please.

Quote Originally Posted by Derspegn View Post
    Sounds good. Actually I've also been trying that system. I can get the burrick up and moving in the game, but even though I've included matching links from the animal to the burpfx, the burrick only tries to hit or elbow me instead of burping. So I will keep studying this and trying new things to get it working properly.
    So it looks like a burrick and it sounds like a burrick, but it doesn't burp like a burrick?

Did you remember to copy the Ranged Combat and HtoH Combat: Motion Response properties?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Derspegn View Post
    I looked at Dark Arrow's file, and the readme document gives permission to paste that .gam into a new one. I had not tried that before, but wanted to see if I could. In my case, part of Dark Arrow's burrick rider mesh (human top and burrick legs) rendering properly, where the front part of the burrick was not rendering.
    You're looking at his burrick rider tutorial. He has a separate package that includes what I listed above, including regular old (non riding) burricks.

Edit: Just saw his site is down, get it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d6...I8Xd7KbyPA5Vw5
    Last edited by Brethren; 17th Jan 2018 at 17:23.